Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 01:28 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
"College Kids" are nothing but Cannon Fodder to the Leftists - they will eventually work that out.

There is no "higher standard" -- it's pretty much been the same "standard" for most all of the "Bailouts" - which is exactly what the Bernie Plan for the Post Office is. GM, Education (including the Colleges via college loans), the VA disaster, Fannie/Freddie & the US Government itself (through the QE programs)
The "standard" in common for all of them is the Union Workforce. Sounds like the Economy is not your strong point. QE wasn't about "Wall Street" (Banks or the Stock Market) - it's main function was to Monetize the Government Debt (which is not allowed directly in our Constitution) and allow the Government to SPEND-SPEND-SPEND and double our Debt during the Obama Era. Quantitative Easing kept the entire Economy from imploding - those who had the money, ran to the Gold Mine (Stock Market), those that didn't got the shaft.

It's a LOT easier for Politicians and Low Information Voters to put all the blame for everything on "The Evil Banksters" ........ and of course on the Evil-Bush-Hitler-Cheney-GOP.
You say it had nothing to do with Wall Street and then note that the gold was in the Stock Market. Yes, it also helped allow the government to spend, spend, spend. Something BOTH parties gleefully participated in.

I have never blamed it all on Bush but it is interesting thats where you go. Right to defending the one who indeed play a substantial role in the whole mess.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:42 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Like Bernie's idea. The USPS runs on its own now and should be able to expand to enable its business.
the USPS does not run on its own..

certainly not when its getting multiple billion dollar bailouts every year for the last 10 years

The United States Postal Service has lost $51.7 billion between 2007 and 2014 and has not earned a profit since 2006,

Old 01-04-2016, 02:49 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the USPS does not run on its own..

certainly not when its getting multiple billion dollar bailouts every year for the last 10 years

The United States Postal Service has lost $51.7 billion between 2007 and 2014 and has not earned a profit since 2006,
Because Republicans (obviously) legislated in 2006 that the USPS had 10 years to prefund their retiree pensions 75 years into their future. No other business is running with a requirement that they have pension funds for employees not even born yet, but I guess DHL and FedEx fund the right Congressmen.

Old 01-04-2016, 03:49 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Because Republicans (obviously) legislated in 2006 that the USPS had 10 years to prefund their retiree pensions 75 years into their future. No other business is running with a requirement that they have pension funds for employees not even born yet, but I guess DHL and FedEx fund the right Congressmen.
The problem is less the 2006 law but rather the decades the Post Office was allowed to go without funding their obligations.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:39 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
One idea of Bernie Sanders that hasn't gotten much airplay is postal banking--post offices running savings accounts, cashing checks and performing other basic financial services. It's a practice that is common in most of Asia and Europe. In fact, only about seven percent of the world's national postal systems don't offer some bank-like services.

The advantage of postal banking is that it allows people who don't have access to standard banking, which includes many low-income people, a way to cash checks and other banking transactions without the big fees they are forced to pay through check-cashing places or through payday lenders who charge outrageously high interest rates. Right now in the U.S. alone it's estimated that between 20 and 40 percent of the population relies on these kinds of services on a regular basis because banks don't offer these services for them.

Mehrsa Baradaran, a professor at the University of Georgia School of Law, talks about the promise of postal banking in his book, How the Other Half Banks.

Bernie Sanders's Highly Sensible Plan to Turn Post Offices Into Banks - The Atlantic

Seems like an idea worth exploring.
At my local post office there is invariably a long and slow moving line. By contrast at my bank branch if there are more than two in line a mgr comes out to ask each customer what they need, in order to expedite transactions. When it's my turn, the teller is attentive to my every need. If I have a transaction that confuses me, she takes time to explain. The usps clerk by contrast is a leaden statue.
oM

Remake banks on the USPS model? OMG NO!

Old 01-04-2016, 04:41 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Remake banks on the USPS model? OMG NO!
Good thing nobody suggests that, then.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:11 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Good thing nobody suggests that, then.
Reread post #1.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:52 AM

88,965 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Hypocrite? Based on what? I don't have a mortgage, and have never owned any Agency MBS.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:59 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,864,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
One idea of Bernie Sanders that hasn't gotten much airplay is postal banking--post offices running savings accounts, cashing checks and performing other basic financial services. It's a practice that is common in most of Asia and Europe. In fact, only about seven percent of the world's national postal systems don't offer some bank-like services.

The advantage of postal banking is that it allows people who don't have access to standard banking, which includes many low-income people, a way to cash checks and other banking transactions without the big fees they are forced to pay through check-cashing places or through payday lenders who charge outrageously high interest rates. Right now in the U.S. alone it's estimated that between 20 and 40 percent of the population relies on these kinds of services on a regular basis because banks don't offer these services for them.
My grocery store provides all of these services.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:01 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
uhm...better check you facts

the bill was co-sponsored by henry waxman (democrat) and passed the senate unanimously which means 48 democrats (including bernie sanders andhillary clinton) and one independent(lieberman) voted for it along with the 51 republicans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies