Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 11:15 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times

Advertisements

The Houston Police have a great FAQ on Texas' new open carry law.
Note that it is a crime to harass law abiding open carry citizens by making a false 9-11 calls about a crazy man with a gun or a man pointing a gun when he isn't.

Too bad that "Answer: The police will act with caution when approaching the person," didn't apply to Tamir Rice or John Crawford.

Walmart Shooting of John Crawford III

Open Carry Information/FAQ | Houston Police Department

1. Question: If a person is open carrying a handgun, how does a police officer determine if he is carrying the handgun legally?

Answer: Constitutional carry did not pass in Texas, so a police officer has the right to ask you to prove that you have a CHL (Concealed Handgun License). If you are asked by a police officer to prove that you are allowed to carry a handgun, you must produce identification.

17. Question: If I use a “drop leg” holster that holds my gun around the middle of my thigh, will I get arrested for having an improper holster?
Answer: No you will not be arrested for that type of holster. It is still mounted to your belt which is the requirement in the law.

24. Question: Some organizations that are in opposition to open carry, have said that if they see someone openly carrying a handgun, they will call 911 and say that person is being aggressive and threatening people with the weapon. How will the police handle situations like this.

Answer: The police will act with caution when approaching the person, they will collect the facts, and when it is found that this person was doing nothing wrong, the investigation will be turned towards the person who made the false 911 call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 11:20 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times
For the most part I will still carry concealed, but it is nice to know that if I go to get gas in July, I won't have to put on a coat...

Old 01-02-2016, 11:21 AM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
I hate this new law. I fear innocent people will be killed because of it, and the police will get even more fear, and that's not a good thing. I would like to point out that black people have been exonerated here for defending themselves with a gun. People in Texas believe that any person, not matter their color, have a right to defend themselves.

I still think we won't see that many openly carrying a weapon since it just puts a target on them. They will continue concealing them and most people won't even realize it, just as it was before the open carry came into law.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:23 AM

2,468 posts, read 1,918,983 times
In Texas and Kandahar, Afghanistan as well. Welcome to America's Taliban!

Old 01-02-2016, 11:30 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
I see open carry in Las Cruces, New Mexico. The people doing it are white and look normal - not like Hispanic gang bangers - so its still a head turner but no fear or anxiety. New Mexico requires a permit for concealed carry but not open carry.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:32 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Open carry has been legal in Montana for many years. In fact, it is legal to carry concealed outside the city limits. A CCP (Concealed Carry Permit) is only required within the limits of an incorporated town or city.
A well known radio and newspaper personality in the Flathead Valley used to open carry a SAA .45 nearly everywhere he went. He is quite old now, though, he may be too feeble to lift the thing, I don't know. I'm not even sure he is still among the living, come to think of it.
Anyway, open carry has created NO problems in Montana, that I am aware of.
I really doubt if there will be all that many problems in Texas, either.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:52 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Why does this post not surprise me here..

Old 01-02-2016, 12:25 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Only took until post #4 for the ignorant anti gun nuts to chime in frothing at the mouth and as usual completely wrong.

Did you know that LIBERAL Washington state open carry is legal? So according to you Seattle = Kabul.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:33 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,918,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Only took until post #4 for the ignorant anti gun nuts to chime in frothing at the mouth and as usual completely wrong.

Did you know that LIBERAL Washington state open carry is legal? So according to you Seattle = Kabul.
WA state also has expanded background checks.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:40 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Open carry is legal in Missouri, but you seldom see it. It causes no problems when you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies