Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2016, 04:32 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
If it were blacks being made out as buffoons interacting with whites in commercial, you'd be butthurt.
We had our turn...and it wasn't just in commercials either.

Watch Gone With The Wind. There's enough black buffoonery for 50 movies.

The Academy loved it so much, that they awarded it.

We're done. Your turn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 04:34 PM

248 posts, read 172,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
As for movies, it probably is true that black representation is lacking,but for what they lack in involvement in movies, they make up for in commercials.
Ever notice one can't see one commercial on tv that does not have a black in it.
This is something I have noticed just recently.
They have flooded the television commercial market.

Bob.
I'm considering petitioning swap meets, Walmart, Bank of America, bus stations, the Raiders and Dodgers stadiums, emergency rooms, welfare offices, ghettos and detention centers everywhere for being predominantly occupied by certain "groups". Now that I think about it...I'm pissed!

Old 01-15-2016, 05:37 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,516,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
As for movies, it probably is true that black representation is lacking,but for what they lack in involvement in movies, they make up for in commercials.
Ever notice one can't see one commercial on tv that does not have a black in it.
This is something I have noticed just recently.
They have flooded the television commercial market.

Bob.
I don't watch commercials anymore, so I will have to take your word for that. Thanks for letting me know.

Old 01-15-2016, 05:43 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,870,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
We had our turn...and it wasn't just in commercials either.

Watch Gone With The Wind. There's enough black buffoonery for 50 movies.

The Academy loved it so much, that they awarded it.

We're done. Your turn.

One period movie most likely presenting blacks realistically for the time vs decades of whites being intentionally presented as buffoons relative to others. No I think it's your turn for blacks to be presented as buffoons. How about that?

Old 01-15-2016, 06:01 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
One period movie most likely presenting blacks realistically for the time vs decades of whites being intentionally presented as buffoons relative to others. No I think it's your turn for blacks to be presented as buffoons. How about that?
I'm not the one complaining...you are.

And it wasn't just one film. Every film (featuring blacks) during that period featured the same humiliating bug eyed monkeyshining black stereotype. That would be hundreds of films over decades.

Lastly, I'd bet that the overwhelming majority of present day commercial writers and casting directors are white. Talk to them. How whites depict other whites is non of my concern.

You're mad at the wrong people.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:04 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

The Academy loved it so much, that they awarded It.
Yes, they did. And Hattie McDaniel got an Oscar...

https://www.oscars.org/oscars/ceremonies/1940

Old 01-15-2016, 06:10 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,596,411 times
I am black and could careless about the Oscars being so white. What really concerns me is the mindset of some blacks thinking this is actually an issue. All the crap we deal with and this is being addressed. The sad part is too many of our people act like the only way to be legit is if somebody white acknowledges you, because validation from your own people is simply not good enough. We got to do better!!

Old 01-15-2016, 06:13 PM

6,572 posts, read 6,738,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Yes, they did. And Hattie McDaniel got an Oscar...

https://www.oscars.org/oscars/ceremonies/1940
Lol, it's too easy

Old 01-15-2016, 06:18 PM

12,956 posts, read 13,673,944 times
I have always thought when black actors play roles that only a black actor can play they are held to a higher standard unless it is a historical character.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:37 PM

248 posts, read 172,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
I am black and could careless about the Oscars being so white. What really concerns me is the mindset of some blacks thinking this is actually an issue. All the crap we deal with and this is being addressed. The sad part is too many of our people act like the only way to be legit is if somebody white acknowledges you, because validation from your own people is simply not good enough. We got to do better!!
The best post in this whole thread...HANDS DOWN!
There is nothing to elaborate on...You said it eloquently and perfectly. I commend you for saying what most don't have the courage to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies