Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 05:32 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,134,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I thought Iran and Saudi Arabia always hated each other because the Saudis are Sunni Muslims and the Iranians are Shiites.
That's true. I worked in Saudi for 18 months and I wonder if the Saud family was feeling threatened and wanted an outsider diversion to rally the Saudi citizenry. If yes (and I believe that likely), they are feeling the pinch of lower oil prices and need to cut some welfare benefits but first wanted to rally the sheeple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 05:35 AM

35,683 posts, read 21,035,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
The Iran deal emboldened Iran so now Saudi is flexing some muscle leading to this escalation. Thanks Obama. Another president who cannot see beyond the next 3 days.
and it is 50 in Orlando today --- his fault too-- so obtuse??

Old 01-04-2016, 06:13 AM

57,233 posts, read 26,178,741 times
Just when you thought it couldn't get worse in the ME, hopefully this will not jeopardize our relations with Iran.

This will make the hard-liners in Iran happy.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:16 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,897,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
The conflict is racial. Persians had three great empires over the course of thousands of years whiles Arabs ranged from being vassals to nusianaces. When the Sassanid and Roman empires virutally detroyed each other, the Arabs rose up to fill the power vaccum, toppling Persia and turning the Persia into a client state.

The Sunni-Shia split merely came because Persians intentionally chose a radical version of Islam in order to be revolutionary. It is not a perfect split as there are Arab Shias and Persians Sunnis. In truth, the racial split remains more important.

Despite this temporary reversal of fortunes, Arabs have not defeated Persians on the battlefield for a thousand years.

I am very curious as to why you think this. From my undestanding, Iran is generally considered the greatest power of the region and its not even close. Even when Iraq famously had the fourth largest army in the world, supplemented by pretty good Russian armor, they were no match for the Iranians. A quick Wiki search had John Abizaid deaclaring Iran most powerful military force of the Middle East outside of Israel. The sheer weight of the population differance and the quality of Persian troops have been pointed out.

Have the Saudis been stockpiling? Is this a result of sancitons affecting Iran's capabilites?
Iran and Iraq's war was kinda like WW 1; the difference was BOTH countries said the hell with it after about 10 years and stopped fighting each other. OTOH the US and friends took out Iraq in a few weeks both 1991 and 2003(?). IF Iran was so strong; they'd have steamrolled Iraq like we did.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:17 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,361,452 times
Sudan, and Bahrain have now ALSO severed diplomatic ties with Iran:
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016...he-latest.html

Old 01-04-2016, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Sudan, and Bahrain have now ALSO severed diplomatic ties with Iran:
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016...he-latest.html
Sudan: who cares? Bahrain, stuff's starting to get serious now IMHO.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:37 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,361,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Its half of the Saudi led coalition fighting in Yemen, as such it would not surprise me to see other countries join, followed by military action.

****s getting real.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:46 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,849,529 times
I think it is way past time for the ME Countries to work out their problems... they don't need the West to do that for them.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Its half of the Saudi led coalition fighting in Yemen, as such it would not surprise me to see other countries join, followed by military action.

****s getting real.
IF both of us are right: thank God for fracking here in the US and Canada. With that, both countries can tell OPEC to pound sand. To be fair; I'd MUCH rather see Mexico get our oil money over OPEC as well.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:10 PM

31,009 posts, read 22,051,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Followed by other Saudi allies: Egypt, U.A.E.,Jordan, Qatar, Kuwait, Jordan, Qatar, Pakistan and Kuwait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies