Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 04:40 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,998,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
I get my statistics from the UN, where do you get yours?

Yes and lower per capita guns, what has that to do with anything. Their homicide rates are not lower enough to be able to draw a conclusion that the US homicide rate is driven by gun ownership. If it were we'd expect that the US after a disarmament to UK levels we would have a homicide rate of 0.27/100,000, this is patently ridiculous, since 40% of all US homicides are not gun related, and those alone exceed 0.27/100,000. Similarly we'd expect that the UK if it had as many guns as the US would have a homicide rate of around 17/100,000, it does not, nor ever has, even prior to the post WW2 gun control laws, in fact back in 1966 prior to serious gun control initiatives (you needed a license that was more or less the equivalent of a US background check), the homicide rate was 0.66/100,000, with more guns and more gun ownership.

Consider the following, suppose a country has 1 car period. Driving it is a death sentence, and there are 20 million people living there. Every day the car is driven and someone dies, the RTA death rate per capita is 1.8/100,000. Would you like to drive in that country? The US has an RTA rate of 11.6/100,000 for comparison. If not why not.

So the US has a higher per capita gun death rate, because it has more guns (and it also has more cars in my example, it actually has more guns than cars too, and deaths by RTA are higher than deaths by guns). So clearly it's a tautology that if the US has a high number of guns, then guns will be used to commit homicides. However it proves nothing to the effect that reducing the number of guns will reduce the number of homicides. Indeed both Australia and the UK have little evidence that gun control reduced their overall homicide rates (in fact for 10 years or so after the 1997 Firearms Amendment act in the UK homicides increased to double the rate in 1996) or suicide rates. So what benefit has it produced that is not ephemeral?
Did you miss this post?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
I don't have any real opinion on guns. I was just pointing out the slant anecdotal evidence provides. I don't see any real changes being made on either side of the gun issue.
As far as I'm concerned both sides present anecdotal incidents, and suspect statistics. I'm here for the debate. I think the discussion should center on the issue at hand, not traffic accidents, kids drowning, or the fact that a pencil could be a weapon. I agree that the US will never be Japan, or even the UK or Australia, but just what action would be necessary to adjust our culture of violence? I'm thinking it would be much less acceptable than gun control or registration. As an afterthought, the US has never had comprehensive gun control, at least not for a long enough time to see just what the long term effect would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 05:03 PM

35,691 posts, read 21,049,622 times
because many have become less and less responsible--- that should be obvious to all

Old 01-04-2016, 05:03 PM

402 posts, read 686,495 times
No more is needed at all. not any.

Old 01-04-2016, 05:05 PM

46,276 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
because many have become less and less responsible--- that should be obvious to all
Less responsible, or just don't give a damn?

Old 01-04-2016, 05:13 PM

35,691 posts, read 21,049,622 times
well I'm old -and wonder what these kids will do when they start packing

Old 01-04-2016, 06:21 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times
Quote:
As an afterthought, the US has never had comprehensive gun control, at least not for a long enough time to see just what the long term effect would be.
The problem is, when it got tried in certain locales, gun violence went up. How can anyone nationalize so-called "gun control" when it hasn't really worked at the local level?

Old 01-04-2016, 07:02 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
We need gun control because it will make the squirrel people feel safer. It will not make them safer but only make them feel safer. Feelings are way more important than facts to these people that believe someone else will always protect them from the Big Bad Wolf.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:44 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,084,767 times
Quote:
I don't have any real opinion on guns. I was just pointing out the slant anecdotal evidence provides. I don't see any real changes being made on either side of the gun issue.
There you have it. THE GUN ISSUE. Shouldn't the focus and the solutions be centered around the gun CRIME issue. I mean if there were no significant gun crime, then there shouldn't be a gun issue at all.
This proves that many people are anti gun, not anti gun crime.
There are some very effective ways to reduce gun crime stats, but since they don't involve restricting guns, the anti gun folks are not interested.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:58 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
There you have it. THE GUN ISSUE. Shouldn't the focus and the solutions be centered around the gun CRIME issue. I mean if there were no significant gun crime, then there shouldn't be a gun issue at all.
There are some very effective ways to reduce gun crime stats, but since they don't involve restricting guns, the anti gun folks are not interested.
First, I don't want to reduce gun crime statistics, I want to reduce gun crime.
Second, what are your methods of reducing gun crime without background checks, etc.?
Third, the rest of the civilized world enjoys low gun deaths when they limit gun access. Seems common sense.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:22 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,998,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
The "gun issue" we're talking about is gun control. Gun control concerns keeping guns out of the hands of those who should not have them ,which in turn, should reduce gun crime. No reason for responsible, legal gun owners to fear that. I'm not anti gun, I'm anti people who would perpetrate gun crime and those facilitating them being armed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies