Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2016, 06:01 PM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You're not from America, either. Transplants from other nations often have this stance of freedom.
They do not know the history of the founding and the reason for the constitution.

What do you mean I am not from America pal? What ARE you going on about now???

You pulling an "Obama is foreign born" on me just because you can -- the truth be damned?

I have no idea how you got the idea that I am not born/raised in America, but I'll bet it has something to do with your inability to process and comprehend facts in general.

Some advice to you that you really should have seriously considered a good long time ago, when you don't know what you are taking about, do yourself a favor and stop talking. Do yourself a BIG favor, because you are only embarrassing yourself...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 06:04 PM

35,693 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Some one know all the details of these atrocities?? Really. If so, warn us in advance- OK. smack:

Old 01-10-2016, 06:08 PM

Default Taking out the garbage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Transplants from other nations often have this stance of freedom. They do not know the history of the founding and the reason for the constitution.

Even more importantly, if there is anything good that comes from flushing these sorts of notions out into the open, it is the opportunity to expose them for what they are...

First, by "transplants," I assume we're talking immigrants and/or refugees. My guess is that our friend BentBow knows about as much about them as he does the Constitution. My guess is that he doesn't have much direct personal knowledge with either "transplants" or Constitutional study -- just a wild hunch based on the comments I have read so far.

Finally, can it be that people like this don't know that "transplants" are often more aware of what the Constitution really means -- from a practical standpoint -- and appreciative of those protections for American civilians over even many native Americans?

How deep in the sand can a head be?

Old 01-10-2016, 06:11 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,639,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Am I the only one who gets a little nauseous reading this? "Only the strong should apply for freedom?"

On the one hand we are asked why the USA is unique while we are also preached that "Government is the greatest criminal to freedom & liberty there is..."

One of the primary reasons the debate about gun control even exists as it does in America today is because of how different we are from other countries when it comes to homicides by firearms!

We as Americans do ourselves no favors by deflecting our problems with the American flag! We don't make sense simply reciting the 2nd Amendment. We need a little more critical thinking and a little less American pie nonsense...
Mexico?

Old 01-11-2016, 09:40 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,733,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
How about this wild and crazy idea: Enforce existing laws. I know, it's a bit out there but it just might work.

Arrest the criminal FFL dealers who aren't following the law.
Prosecute criminals who violate the law and don't plea bargain multiple offenses down to 'time served' and let them go.
I think this an excellent idea. And it seems to me that this is what Obama's EOs are meant to achieve. We already have guns laws; we need to enforce them in an effective way. I posted this another thread, but it is relevant here, so here it is:

Gun laws should create a black market for guns. If you want to get a gun, and you already have a criminal record, your only viable option should be to go through the black market. But if going through the black market to buy a gun comes with virtually no risk, then the gun laws are essentially useless. The idea is to catch some percentage of criminals before they get a gun into their hands. If a gang member with numerous prior convictions wants to get a gun, there should be some risk that he will try to buy his gun from an undercover agent. If someone already has a history of violence and tries to illegally acquire a gun, the penalty should be harsh, and this person should be take off the streets for a long time. Each time a gang member or career criminal is taken of the streets in this way - i.e., taken off the streets while trying to acquire a gun through the black market - you can be reasonably confident that you have prevented some violent crimes. On the flip side: anyone who is willing to sell a gun to someone without a background check is, in effect, helping criminals, so taking them out of the picture for a while is also helpful.

This is what gun laws should accomplish. They should serve as a tool for removing at least some repeat offenders from the streets before they commit crimes. It will probably only be a small percentage of criminals, but that's true for virtually any type of law - not just gun laws.

Some posters have pointed out that a high percentage of gun violence is committed by gang members or career criminals. Resources devoted to effectively enforcing gun laws target these folks and take some of them off the streets before they commit some of the crimes that they would have otherwise committed. What more can you ask from any law?

Old 01-11-2016, 09:57 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Newsflash ~ I DO NOT care. One small step in the right direction? I'll take it. I tire of hearing 'stuff happens' and we shouldn't bother to do anything.

No one's taking your guns. Obama has less than a year left.
Really? You sure about that one? There hasn't been at least 3-4 confiscatory programs already off the top of my head? There haven't been laws limiting the firearms people can purchase? There are no laws existing for the SOLE PURPOSE OF REDUCING FIREARMS OWNERSHIP BY CREATING HOOPS? We didn't just have a governor try to pass a law in the middle of the night which would have been a confiscation law? We don't have a law coming in another state attempting to do the same?

And at the same time we haven't gone from almost no states allowing carrying of firearms and an AWB to none of the above and seen time and time again gun crimes go DOWN?

Careful, your treading in deep water here without a PFD.

Old 01-11-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Really? You sure about that one? There hasn't been at least 3-4 confiscatory programs already off the top of my head? There haven't been laws limiting the firearms people can purchase? There are no laws existing for the SOLE PURPOSE OF REDUCING FIREARMS OWNERSHIP BY CREATING HOOPS? We didn't just have a governor try to pass a law in the middle of the night which would have been a confiscation law? We don't have a law coming in another state attempting to do the same?

And at the same time we haven't gone from almost no states allowing carrying of firearms and an AWB to none of the above and seen time and time again gun crimes go DOWN?

Careful, your treading in deep water here without a PFD.
I really have to wonder about this being careful business...

I have known plenty enough gun-owners over the years. I know there are plenty enough still today (good and bad guys with guns), and all the while over all the time since the first efforts toward gun-control emerged, there has been this fear and warning about the government taking away our guns.

Yet...

I know not one law-abiding citizen who has let it be known they were prevented from having just about any of the thousands of makes and models on the market, past and present! With all due respect to those who want silencers, I am sorry you can't get those quite so easily, but you can even get those with a little extra time and effort! Oh, wait, I do remember one person who said he couldn't buy a bazooka, but he's since been locked up. Does he count?

Sure seems to me the "sky has been falling" for an awfully long time when it comes to these gun-confiscation concerns, but I haven't seen much evidence yet.

Just saying...

Old 01-11-2016, 02:56 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,564 times
Quote:
I really have to wonder about this being careful business...

I have known plenty enough gun-owners over the years. I know there are plenty enough still today (good and bad guys with guns), and all the while over all the time since the first efforts toward gun-control emerged, there has been this fear and warning about the government taking away our guns.

Yet...

I know not one law-abiding citizen who has let it be known they were prevented from having just about any of the thousands of makes and models on the market, past and present! With all due respect to those who want silencers, I am sorry you can't get those quite so easily, but you can even get those with a little extra time and effort! Oh, wait, I do remember one person who said he couldn't buy a bazooka, but he's since been locked up. Does he count?

Sure seems to me the "sky has been falling" for an awfully long time when it comes to these gun-confiscation concerns, but I haven't seen much evidence yet.

Just saying...
Do you not live in NY, or California? Maryland? Massachusetts? Connecticut? I can't even own a popular turkey hunting Benelli shotgun because it's an auto-loader (semi auto) with a pistol grip. I can't own an AR15. I can't own regular magazines and need to pay extra for low capacity magazines.

SAFE act.
NOLA Confiscations.
SKS debacle in Cali.
NY confiscation under Dinkens.

You seem to not be paying attention.

Old 01-11-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Do you not live in NY, or California? Maryland? Massachusetts? Connecticut? I can't even own a popular turkey hunting Benelli shotgun because it's an auto-loader (semi auto) with a pistol grip. I can't own an AR15. I can't own regular magazines and need to pay extra for low capacity magazines.

SAFE act.
NOLA Confiscations.
SKS debacle in Cali.
NY confiscation under Dinkens.

You seem to not be paying attention.
I live in California where most of the guns I have fired have been in the Gold Country. Also in Utah...

I've never before encountered anyone who had such a hankering for a Benelli shotgun, but there are certain models perfectly suitable for what you want to do with it, right? Or just what is that you want to do with that shotgun you can't do with others. Or is it how it looks? Please explain, because no doubt the level of heartburn you express has got to be about something more serious.

For every model deemed not appropriate for general consumer/hunter/protection use, how many thousands of other models are available? Just as pretty, just as accurate, just as lethal? Surely you still own and can buy all sorts of models and enjoy just as much fun or protection or whatever without dwelling on the few models deemed outside the normal market, right? Just how serious is this problem that we can't just buy any model of Benelli shotgun?

I'd like to know before deciding whether to write my Congressman...

Sorry about the magazine woes as well, but again if you can let me know your end-goal or desire with this weaponry, maybe I can better assess the level of damages you are experiencing. Really, I'm serious.

Much as I would like to have fun with a grenade as well (sometimes when I think of my mother-in-law), I can't procure one, but I get over it in a matter of seconds...

Old 01-11-2016, 04:10 PM

46,278 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
I live in California where most of the guns I have fired have been in the Gold Country. Also in Utah...

I've never before encountered anyone who had such a hankering for a Benelli shotgun, but there are certain models perfectly suitable for what you want to do with it, right? Or just what is that you want to do with that shotgun you can't do with others. Or is it how it looks? Please explain, because no doubt the level of heartburn you express has got to be about something more serious.

For every model deemed not appropriate for general consumer/hunter/protection use, how many thousands of other models are available? Just as pretty, just as accurate, just as lethal? Surely you still own and can buy all sorts of models and enjoy just as much fun or protection or whatever without dwelling on the few models deemed outside the normal market, right? Just how serious is this problem that we can't just buy any model of Benelli shotgun?

I'd like to know before deciding whether to write my Congressman...

Sorry about the magazine woes as well, but again if you can let me know your end-goal or desire with this weaponry, maybe I can better assess the level of damages you are experiencing. Really, I'm serious.

Much as I would like to have fun with a grenade as well (sometimes when I think of my mother-in-law), I can't procure one, but I get over it in a matter of seconds...
Why do people own million dollar cars?

There are many other that can get the job done, in the exact same matter, right?

No, Benelli can do things others cannot, it cycles much faster than most...why do people want a porche over a gremlin, its faster....

As for the magazines, I don't like to reload a lot. Why does that bother you? I like to get into a position, and stay in that position while target shooting, why does magazine size bother you?

Why do you have to bring up grenades? This is why you cannot have an honest conversation with people like you. Why not a battle ship, how about rocket launchers, why not a aircraft carrier?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies