Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 06:24 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times

Advertisements

Well it just got infringed in Calif. starting Jan 1st anyone can call the police and say your unstable. The cops show up and your investment in guns is gone. Your suppose to be able to get them back but everyone knows in this very liberal state you'll never see your guns again.
So be real careful if you live in Calif, don't get anyone mad at you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 06:29 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Defined, why we the people, have the right to be armed in the first place and our arms never to be denied.
Good working order, must have practice, to be well regulated like a fine clock.
I really doubt whether most people who own guns are necessarily practiced or regulated like a fine clock

Old 01-04-2016, 06:29 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
The only amendment, that is protected by its very wording, to never ever be altered or eliminated from the US Constitution.

People that do not understand law. Words mean everything in law, when they start yelling the 2nd amendment can be amended and the Supreme Court is now our creators, as GOD.

Shall not be infringed. Means just that. An Amendment would be an infringement, of individual rights.

Lol, when Delahanty is stripped of her guns, Delahanty will be dead.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:33 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Okay, good luck getting the needed votes to make that happen.....though I am not sure how the wording on that Amendment would work, but it is like a unicorn, it is never gonna happen.

One pull of the trigger is one vote.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
I am very much a supporter of 2nd Amendment rights.

However, you are wrong. The Constitution, including the 2nd Amendment, can, obviously, be amended.

Refer to Article V of the Constitution, which prescribes how an amendment can become a part of the Constitution.

Nope. That would be an infringement of the very amendment that says it shall not be infringed.
It is the only amendment, that can never be altered, or eliminated, by the very wording in the amendment.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:46 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Nope. That would be an infringement of the very amendment that says it shall not be infringed.
It is the only amendment, that can never be altered, or eliminated, by the very wording in the amendment.
Your wrong PERIOD

There is NO PART of the Constitution that can't be changed. Thats the way the framers wanted it.

You are way off in the weeds on this one.

It can be completely invalidated using the article five process.

Hence then reason it's important to elect representatives, senators and presidents that will protected it from that fate.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:48 PM

188 posts, read 103,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
If we want to understand the 2nd, maybe we should listen to the intention of the undisputed fathers that drafted the document......

James Madison of Virginia:

The Constitution preserves "the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation. . . (where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." — The Federalist, No. 46

Thomas Jefferson of Virginia:

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." — Proposed Virginia Constitution, 1776

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." — Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764
I would also offer that we listen to history and see who (the armed or the unarmed) that are, principally, the victims of predation from the street thug to global potentate (ISIS, perhaps).

It is the unarmed who kneels in front of a shallow ditch filled with the lifeless bodies of his fellow hapless mankind, and takes it in the back of the head like a cattle to be butchered.

The unarmed who kneels in front of a Friend of Allah only to die with the sound of his own gurgling screams in his ears, until the blade mercifully severes his spinal cord.

It is the unarmed women of Nanking who were forced into a shallow hole only to be buried shovelful by shovelful until their dirt-filled lungs could breath no more.

I shall not kneel, I shall not gurgle, I shall not take a slow suffocation, for I will never disarm, I will never be another's prey, another's victim. I am drenched in the Freedom-Legacy of Adams and Jefferson and Madison and Washington and all the rest of the Founders, and it is a burden I shall never cast off, for it is all that separates me from the sheep.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Your wrong PERIOD

There is NO PART of the Constitution that can't be changed. Thats the way the framers wanted it.

You are way off in the weeds on this one.

It can be completely invalidated using the article five process.

Hence then reason it's important to elect representatives, senators and presidents that will protected it from that fate.

I'm wrong? Tell me what "shall not be infringed" means to you on a legal document?

By its very wording, it can never be altered, or eliminated. That would be an infringement. Would it not.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:20 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
The second amendment is like any other amendment there can be exceptions made to it. Even Scalia (barf) mentioned restrictions and exceptions:

"Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose: For example, concealed weapons prohibitions have been upheld under the Amendment or state analogues. The Court’s opinion should not be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms." http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/07pdf/07-290.pdf

Now think about how a SCOTUS decision such as Roe V Wade which relies upon the 14th amendment and how easy it is to circumvent it without attempting to undo the ruling or change the 14th amendment, it's not hard to imagine, in fact it's already happening in many parts of the country, put onerous burdens on providers, close clinics, make access to abortion difficult and expensive with the idea being that if it's made hard enough to get an abortion some women will just quit trying.

Couldn't a Government which wanted to control the number of guns being sold do the same thing? Just tax the crap out of them, or limit where they can be sold, look at the Texas attack on PP for that one, they only have 5 PP clinics left that perform abortions. What if there were only 5 gun dealers in Texas, I bet some people who want to buy a gun might give up rather than drive hundreds of miles or wait in lines that stretch around the block, huh?

I'm not anti-gun, but I think it's silly to jump up and down claiming your 2A right are unequivocal because the 2A has the word 'infringe' in it. Every amendment can be interpreted by the Supreme Court in pretty much any way they want, and they can and have imposed exceptions and limitations on almost every constitutional amendment. Only a fool would try to completely get rid of an amendment it's far too easy to chip away at them a little bit at a time.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The second amendment is like any other amendment there can be exceptions made to it. Even Scalia (barf) mentioned restrictions and exceptions:
Scalia can mention what ever he wishes.
Shall not be infringed means just that. No restrictions can be made by any government. Remember, the Supreme Court, is the Federal Government. Fox watches the hen house, syndrome.
My freedom is not given to me by 9 guys in black robes, hired by the federal government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies