Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 01:46 PM

10,022 posts, read 7,168,058 times

Advertisements

You could be carrying a rocket launcher. If someone sneaks up to you successfully and puts a gun into your ribs, it doesn't matter what weapon you've got on you, you're going to give up your wallet.

This is why I don't think open carry is important. Concealed carry is a different matter - there's a tactical advantage in concealed carrying. But open carry just draws attention to yourself. I wouldn't open carry unless I on my way to a range or hunting lease just for convenience.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:45 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,628,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
You could be carrying a rocket launcher. If someone sneaks up to you successfully and puts a gun into your ribs, it doesn't matter what weapon you've got on you, you're going to give up your wallet.

This is why I don't think open carry is important. Concealed carry is a different matter - there's a tactical advantage in concealed carrying. But open carry just draws attention to yourself. I wouldn't open carry unless I on my way to a range or hunting lease just for convenience.
That's how I look at it too. I don't put any bumper stickers on my car, fly a gadsen flag, wear 5.11 pants or anything like that.

Same reason why I won't walk around wearing a monocle and top hat when I'm a millionaire. No need to advertise anything a bad guy would want.

None of this makes me or my family bullet proof. Carrying a firearm makes me as bullet proof as seat belts make a car crash proof. I still carry and use a seat belt every day.

Old 01-05-2016, 03:04 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,859,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post

The choice how to carry your firearm should be yours, not governments. If you're not prohibited to carry a firearm in public places, it should be totally your choice how you do it. Think of police officers...

One obvious reason why open carry is still important, is that you don't want to be arrested for accidental exposure of your concealed firearm...

Old 01-05-2016, 03:04 PM

46,186 posts, read 26,914,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
LMAO!!! Wondering what the gun nuts would say about THIS? A good guy with a gun, uh, wait

Man Proudly "Open Carrying" New Pistol Is Robbed Of It At - Wait For It - Gunpoint

LOL.....October? Slow news day?

Old 01-05-2016, 03:12 PM

14,988 posts, read 23,797,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
LOL.....October? Slow news day?
The embarrassing thing isn't that he was robbed of a gun, yeah if you display it at 2AM like some bigshot and not a responsible gun owner those things will happen...but that he was robbed by SOMEONE IN FLIP FLOPS.

Old 01-05-2016, 03:15 PM

46,186 posts, read 26,914,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
The embarrassing thing isn't that he was robbed of a gun, yeah if you display it at 2AM like some bigshot and not a responsible gun owner those things will happen...but that he was robbed by SOMEONE IN FLIP FLOPS.
As someone else said, if they get the draw on you....it does not matter if you have a rocket launcher....

Old 01-05-2016, 03:49 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,628,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
One obvious reason why open carry is still important, is that you don't want to be arrested for accidental exposure of your concealed firearm...
This is a boon for Texas, since accidental exposure was illegal until the open carry law was signed.

I'm in Illinois (the last state in the union to pass concealed carry), and here accidental exposure is legal.

Accidental exposure laws are state-dependent.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:22 PM

6,341 posts, read 7,703,560 times
A Walther P22? What? He was 'protecting' himself from Jack Rabbits. I think the guy in flip-flops did him a favor.

(disclaimer: I do own a P22. Looks cool, but said to be finicky with brand of ammo. My copy seems to be fine. It's a short range plinker, nothing more.)

Old 01-05-2016, 04:24 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,209,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
LMAO!!! Wondering what the gun nuts would say about THIS? A good guy with a gun, uh, wait

Man Proudly "Open Carrying" New Pistol Is Robbed Of It At - Wait For It - Gunpoint

Much like gun control, just because you have it, doesn't mean it will stop a thing.....if you want to see someone get stopped, go through YouTube and search for bad guy getting owned or, robber stopped.....you tell me, in those situations, did it work????

In your method, we would just bend over for ISIS types and take it in the soot pipe.....hey, YOU don't have to own one so, what are YOU worried about?

Nuff' said....

Old 01-05-2016, 04:35 PM

16,340 posts, read 8,427,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
What difference does the year it happened make?

It didn't happen in 2016, so it never happened? Is that the logic?
First of all, this event is not current, so why is it posted in CE?

Aside from that, the poster questioning the OP was based on why they felt the need to dredge up an old story to mock a victim of crime. Clearly they have an agenda, and went searching for a story to fit into their anti-gun posting agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies