Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support educational vouchers so parents may send their children to the school of their cho
Yes, I would support vouchers 21 53.85%
No, I would not support vouchers 18 46.15%
Undecided 0 0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 03:06 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,011,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I must comment here: the NCLB, a federal law, is the controlling requirement now for all school districts throughout the United States

Well they set the MINIMUM requirements right.. they say 'this must be taught".. but that doesn't mean that on local levels you can't build on that right?

I will admit I do not know much abot the NCLB.. it's been awhile since i've been in school and my son is only 2.. although I'm tryign to learn more..

It just seems to me that if a minimum is set by the gov't it doesn't mean you can ONLY teach that and nothing above and beyond that (the only instance is when something crosses the belief of religion line..etc.).

In otherwords.. teach the minumum and then grow upon that minimum set.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 03:11 PM

I re-read hte first post about vouchers like scholarships.

Another problem I see is that the middle class will again fall in the cracks..

For example.. there are scholarships that exist today and program that award money to people who 'do not have enough money".. which a lot of middle income make too much for (but ironically college is expensive and so they must borrow and borrow more to get that education.. hence teh student loan nad second mortgages). So again, Middle class will loose. The rich will have enough money to buy themselves into the best schools, the poorest will be vouchered in and the middle income students will be more financially burdened to get the best they can get.

If it is awarded by income. . that's the problem.. but what about performance .. students who are a little slower will not be awardes as much .. but they do have potential.. all children develop differently. The poor, because of lack of support at home as well as their parents perhaps not being as educated to help will also fall short.

This is what it sounds like to me.. I could be wrong..but..

Old 02-05-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
My feelings are simply this: If a public school is performing at higher levels, parents are not likely to want to "move" their children. On the other hand, if the school is underperforming - and there are some, and for a lot of different reasons, then, those parents, who are not financially stable, would be able to have their children go to where their children can get the best academics possible.

Vouchers have also been used by some parents to help offset the cost of home schooling - which is on the increase throughout the United States.

IMO, the bottom line is, vouchers would allow families, who are not financially able, to have their children educated at the best schools possible -

There are many very fine public school systems through out the United States. There are also some very POOR systems - and not because of parents! Because of poor administration, poor teachers etc. IMO, parents, of all economic situations, should be in a position of deciding how they want their children educated - and not simply leave it up to the "government"

I'm reminded of a situation in Northern Arizona where the maintenence people had to sweep away the needles and other drug stuff from the front door of the schools every morning - so the teachers could get in the door safely.

The problem with this..while it sounds good.. is that property values are tied into school performance as well.

Here, on LI I've argued for making a countywide SD to cut down on admin costs by mainstreaming it, which I feel would lower all our property taxes (to which it is 3xs the national average here) However. the contention to that is here.. by those in the hoighty neighborhoods of course, is that they are afraid that students will be either bussed in or bussed out to 'even the races" in each neighborhoods schools (although I dont' feel this is likely.. and DO feel that schools in certain neighborhoods in the district will still be perfroming better based on those that are in the enighborhood thatgo to that school)..

But the fear here is that those who live in "wealthy" neighborhoods DO NOT want their children going to school with those in the "poorer" neighborhoods.. and I hate to say this because it's gross but true.. it also has to do with race .

Old 02-05-2008, 03:18 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
I re-read hte first post about vouchers like scholarships.

Another problem I see is that the middle class will again fall in the cracks..

For example.. there are scholarships that exist today and program that award money to people who 'do not have enough money".. which a lot of middle income make too much for (but ironically college is expensive and so they must borrow and borrow more to get that education.. hence teh student loan nad second mortgages). So again, Middle class will loose. The rich will have enough money to buy themselves into the best schools, the poorest will be vouchered in and the middle income students will be more financially burdened to get the best they can get.

If it is awarded by income. . that's the problem.. but what about performance .. students who are a little slower will not be awardes as much .. but they do have potential.. all children develop differently. The poor, because of lack of support at home as well as their parents perhaps not being as educated to help will also fall short.

This is what it sounds like to me.. I could be wrong..but..
Vouchers generally, are given to a parent, who wants to have their child attend a school other than the public school in their area. That public school might even be another public school

Vouchers are generally given, regardless of income of the parent or the scholastic achievement of the student. They are usually the equivalent of the cost associated with educating that child for that school year.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:18 PM

269 posts, read 542,404 times
Quote:
Well they set the MINIMUM requirements right.. they say 'this must be taught".. but that doesn't mean that on local levels you can't build on that right?

I will admit I do not know much abot the NCLB.. it's been awhile since i've been in school and my son is only 2.. although I'm tryign to learn more..

It just seems to me that if a minimum is set by the gov't it doesn't mean you can ONLY teach that and nothing above and beyond that (the only instance is when something crosses the belief of religion line..etc.).

In otherwords.. teach the minumum and then grow upon that minimum set.
This is possible in some areas, but not in others. That's what I mean about the population of the district making the only real difference.

Some school districts serve a large population of kids who literally cannot even pass the bare-minimum requirements. That school district isn't going to spend time giving your kid much more than that bare minimum, sorry. They have to keep pouring their efforts into kids who are below the line.

So you either put up with shoddy education, move, homeschool, or shell out for private schools.

I'd try to find out more about NCLB before you entrust your child to the government schools, if you care about independent thought.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
The problem with this..while it sounds good.. is that property values are tied into school performance as well.
In all honesty, I have never heard of property values being tied to a schools performance. Perhaps in New York but, not here in the West.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Vouchers generally, are given to a parent, who wants to have their child attend a school other than the public school in their area. That public school might even be another public school

Vouchers are generally given, regardless of income of the parent or the scholastic achievement of the student. They are usually the equivalent of the cost associated with educating that child for that school year.
It may be able to work in some places.. but I dont' feel it will in all.. the structure and make up of SD varies so much that it wouldn't work in all places..

Old 02-05-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeehound View Post
That school district isn't going to spend time giving your kid much more than that bare minimum, sorry.
You have just supported the reason for vouchers

Old 02-05-2008, 03:21 PM

269 posts, read 542,404 times
Quote:
I think the overall problem is that we have become a lazy media driven and consumer society that we haven't been paying attention. We are also a society that, most of the general population.. MYSELF INCLUDED.. fails to look at the world outside of the U.S and see other points of views. We tend to believe what we're taught, rather than seek the true answers.I do believe our history is taught in such a way that its' water downed and not very accurate.. just the basics.
What I would like to see is that school curriculum get more progressive.. Teach kids a little about business and world economy..give them a taste of what will be coming tothe in college.. Instead of teaching them how to sew pillows in home economics.. really TEACH them about home economics.. how to run a household financially.. about what is involved in purchasing a home,...teach them about CREDIT and how it works, so they don't get bamboozled in college (guilty here) or when they turn 18 becasue if I knew then what I know now.. I would have made some smarter choices.

All this curriculumm change CAN be done with the public school system we have. . we just need to update the curriculum!! And in order for that to happen we need to DEMAND it and BE INVOLVED with knowing what our kids are learning..

If a child doesn't know how to read.. yes, it's the fault of the school.. but WHERE THE HECK WAS THE PARENT!! HOW CAN A MOTHER NOT KNOW HERE CHILD DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO READ!!

Just some thoughts..
You're going to have to fight the behemoth of the federal government and some teachers' unions to do any of that, hon. This is why lots of smart people avoid government schools, and probably why your wealthier school districts don't want to consolidate and lose what little control they have left over their tax dollars.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
It may be able to work in some places.. but I dont' feel it will in all.. the structure and make up of SD varies so much that it wouldn't work in all places..
If your child is in a good school district, the need for vouchers would be minimal.

The opposite is true - if your child is in a under performing district - or an underperforming school, then a voucher to move that child might be very appropriate AND NEEDED
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies