Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support educational vouchers so parents may send their children to the school of their cho
Yes, I would support vouchers 21 53.85%
No, I would not support vouchers 18 46.15%
Undecided 0 0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 04:29 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,544 times

Advertisements

My grandkids are going to the same school their mother did and I can see a real difference from the time she went to today and it aint good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 04:37 PM

746 posts, read 845,910 times
NEA: National Education Association: School Vouchers (http://www.nea.org/vouchers/index.html?source=google&paidkeyword=school+vouche rs - broken link)

Just read the tripe in this link from the NEA. This is such garbage it sickens me. Vouchers are needed!

Old 02-05-2008, 04:39 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Look - I understand your concern here. It is well placed.

But, let me be perfectly honest: Not all kids are going to be rocket scientists!

There are bright kids and, well, there are slow kids. That is life.

The different types of learning types need to be with each other - by combining them, you are only hurting the brightest. It is a wonderful idea to try to "mainstream" everyone - laudable.

But, when it comes to education, and IMO, it is only to create a tremendous burden, and hurt, all the kids.
Ah yes I understand that.. and you're right. not all kids are rocket scientists
.. but isn't that what college is for? Once they are through with their education in H.S they move on to careers that fit their capacity for learning.. and into schools that they get into based on their current knowledge and ability to learn.. those brighter student s not quite rich enough get to go on scholarships because they are bright but poor.. heck .. even rich kids can get scholoarships based onthe same...

But atleast in a public system every kid has a chance to get to that level. Those that can excel do and those that can't don't. Some go off to Community College and excel their to move onto a 4 year college to finish out the remainder.

Im' sure not all my brothers fellow classmates went to become Dr's in genetics! or even go on to school. Being with those that didn't excel at teh same level didn't really hurt him or my other brother any.

Just because a classroom may work at the level of the lowest denominator..doesn't ALWAYS mean that childs education has to stay there.. perhaps with smaller class sizes teachers can focus more individually on each student so that the ones that are excelling within that classroom can move on ..etc. jUst an idea.

Here's ANOTHER idea.. teachers are paid YEAR round salaries for 1/2 years work right.. well if we break up the Schools somewhat differently by levels of performance and keep the schools year round (for example every other day for each level.. slower or more on pace) of school.. but school for 6 months..or those that arent excelling and are slower will go to summer school to catch up to thoset hat have moved forward throughout the year.

All ideas mind you.. may not be practical in every case.. again.. each district, school is different ..

Old 02-05-2008, 04:41 PM

Here's another idea.

My husband went to school in Slovakia and basically when they got to a certain age they were then sent to schools that catered to their particular areas that they excelled in.. they got rounded education but were with others who say.. had a tendency to be very science apted or math apted..etc. while still learning other subjects of course.. because you WANT to be well rounded..

I realy don't know the details.. but it sounds different and pretty neat if you ask me!

Old 02-05-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
NEA: National Education Association: School Vouchers (http://www.nea.org/vouchers/index.html?source=google&paidkeyword=school+vouche rs - broken link)

Just read the tripe in this link from the NEA. This is such garbage it sickens me. Vouchers are needed!
Thank you .. very informative.. I pretty much tend to agree with it though.. it just seems an elist way to separate teh haves from the have nots.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:55 PM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,551 times
Hey. I went to public schools in the 60s and 70s and only had a gun pointed at me once. The other time it was only brandished. I can't wait to send my kids to a public school.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
Hey. I went to public schools in the 60s and 70s and only had a gun pointed at me once. The other time it was only brandished. I can't wait to send my kids to a public school.

Not all public schools are liket hat.. just dependson where you live builderbob.. I NEVER had a gun pointed at me, NEver a metal detector in school.. I was pretty oblivious to drugs..although I'm sure there were some pot heads.. I just wasn't one of them .. so I didn't really see it. I did play soccer and was very invovled in teh DRAMA club.. and I DID spend 1/2 my day in an arts high school that my district bussed me too. I had a great experience in public school and got a pretty good education.
But .. I understand that in some places it's broken and needs a fixin!

Old 02-05-2008, 07:58 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Ah yes I understand that.. and you're right. not all kids are rocket scientists
.. but isn't that what college is for? Once they are through with their education in H.S they move on to careers that fit their capacity for learning.. and into schools that they get into based on their current knowledge and ability to learn.. those brighter student s not quite rich enough get to go on scholarships because they are bright but poor.. heck .. even rich kids can get scholoarships based onthe same...

But atleast in a public system every kid has a chance to get to that level. Those that can excel do and those that can't don't. Some go off to Community College and excel their to move onto a 4 year college to finish out the remainder.
Again, to be blunt, there are kids who will never be ready for college. They cannot cut it - they do not have the ability. Hard, but true

Quote:
Just because a classroom may work at the level of the lowest denominator..doesn't ALWAYS mean that childs education has to stay there.. perhaps with smaller class sizes teachers can focus more individually on each student so that the ones that are excelling within that classroom can move on ..etc. jUst an idea.
Smaller classes sizes would be nice. But, in many areas of the country, they are not achievable. For instance, in the Phoenix metro area, the school year started with a 2000 teacher shortage. In las vegas, it was a 2500 teacher shortage. There were empty classrooms because there were no teachers to staff them. Even with substantial signing bonus offered.

Quote:
Here's ANOTHER idea.. teachers are paid YEAR round salaries for 1/2 years work right.. well if we break up the Schools somewhat differently by levels of performance and keep the schools year round (for example every other day for each level.. slower or more on pace) of school.. but school for 6 months..or those that arent excelling and are slower will go to summer school to catch up to thoset hat have moved forward throughout the year.
Most schools have 9 month programs and teachers spend their summers in other classroom work. In many districts around the country, there are 12 month programs.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
My husband went to school in Slovakia and basically when they got to a certain age they were then sent to schools that catered to their particular areas that they excelled in.. they got rounded education but were with others who say.. had a tendency to be very science apted or math apted..etc. while still learning other subjects of course.. because you WANT to be well rounded..

I realy don't know the details.. but it sounds different and pretty neat if you ask me!
They did this in the USSR - the Soviet Union. Kids were REMOVED from their homes

They do what you suggest in Communist countries.

We are not a communist country

Old 02-05-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Not all public schools are liket hat.. just dependson where you live builderbob.. I NEVER had a gun pointed at me, NEver a metal detector in school.. I was pretty oblivious to drugs..although I'm sure there were some pot heads..
Guns, knives, drugs are very common in many schools. 3rd and 4th graders bringing weapons to school are more common than ever before.

Metal detectors are the norm in many schools

Drug deals abound
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies