Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2016, 12:33 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times

Advertisements

What I find is hilarious is that if the "other party" does an executive order its some crazy violation. If your guy does it, you don't care. I mean Obama is still way behind GWB and Clinton on these orders.

Regardless, this is an interpretation change of a current on the books law. . . I'm pretty sure the administration feels they are covered. . .it certainly isn't a new law.

If you don't want to bury your head in the sand and hate everythign "the other guy does" and actually be informed, this article lays out the odds.
Will Obama's gun moves face a legal challenge? - CNNPolitics.com

Quote:
"Potential legal challenges will depend upon how the new regulations are actually worded, but based on what we have heard so far, challengers to the new rules will face an uphill battle because it sounds like the primary thing the President is doing is interpreting an ambiguous federal statute," said Steve Vladeck a professor of law at Washington College of Law at American University and a CNN legal analyst.

"The President is allowed to adopt reasonable interpretations of ambiguous federal statutes," he said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Obama issues an order, which is not law, which cannot be enforced. In clear violation of the Constitution of the United States, and beyond his Constitutional authority, Obama "orders" (mandates) background checks for online & gun show sales.

This is unenforceable, as it is not law. Obama has no authority to make law. Secondly, "executive orders" may only apply to the administration and government agencies. They do not apply to private institutions, citizens, etc.

Therefore, there is nothing to compel anyone to follow his "order."

Obama is not a King, though he may think he is. Do not comply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 12:33 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Think the real goal is tightening up those background checks, adding more requirements. Define mental illness, perhaps anyone who has ever been prescribed an antidepressant or anti-anxiety medication. That would take care of most of the population.
And the truly crazy will not seek help.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:34 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Clearly, you don't understand the meaning of...

Infringe: act so as to limit or undermine (something); encroach on. "His legal rights were being infringed."
The American flag in all public buildings are . . FRINGED!

Old 01-05-2016, 12:35 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
So... doing a more extensive background check on him would have made no difference. Just like many of us are saying.
There was NO background check on him. Deflecting with the 'more extensive background check', huh?

Old 01-05-2016, 12:36 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,075,331 times
I actually support the content of some of Obama's executive orders, but I hate them anyway. I feel every time he signs an EO, that should have gone through congress, then he spits on the constitution and dishonor the american people.

He also build up a bad trend, because if Obama can use EO to get what he wants, then what will stop Republicans from doing the same. Imagine Trump using EO to ban muslims, kick all illegal immigrants out, overturning obamacare. I don't think they will be too happy either.

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Not true. I don't know about Holmes, but Adam Lanza stole his mother's guns. He did not go through a background check.
There you go. Again, background checks WOULD NOT HAVE STOPPED THE SHOOTING.

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Already answered.
Man, you can't answer anything, can you?

Old 01-05-2016, 12:42 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
We all know the NRA wants everyone to have 11 guns, one for each finger & one for, what, needed manhood extensions I guess?
I collect guns like Leno collects cars.

Have a problem with that?

Old 01-05-2016, 12:42 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,841,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am not the one kidding myself. Everyone is screaming like their hair was on fire, but there actually methods of making sure the Constitution is not being violated. Obama's own team reviews it, to make sure they are not wasting their time on EOs which are batted down as unconstitutional, and Congress reviews them, and the Supreme Court reviews them. It is easy to insist the Constitution is being violated, and both parties always say it about their opponents, but it does not make it true.

Lets see the EO text so we'll know what we are talking about.

What? You really have no idea what you are talking about, do you.

Obama's exec orders have been shot down in several state/Federal courts, and yet nothing has happened. There are TONS of proper grounds for Impeachment with regard to Obama, but the weak kneed, spineless Congress does not have the testicular fortitude to take that step.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:44 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
My question had nothing to do with automobiles.
Of course not, because you won't admit automobiles are more deadly than guns and Obama acted on the wrong issue today. If Obama REALLY cared about "Oh... the children, (fake) tear, tear, sniff..."

411 children (age 14 and under) died from gunfire in all of 2010 or slightly more than one per day. Includes homicides, accidents, and suicides combined.

Source: Center for Disease Control WISQARS Fatal Injury Reports for 2010

1,168 children (age 14 and under) died from automobile incidents in all of 2012 or slightly more than three per day.

Source: USDOT

Obama cares not one sh*t about "the children." And neither do any of you hoplophobes. You're on and on about the WRONG issue. Senseless, as usual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies