Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2016, 06:54 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times

Advertisements

Obama chickend out and did nothing.all this over nothing wich is what he is nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 01:48 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
But when am I "engaged in the business" of selling firearms and when am I just selling a gun to my brother-in-law? I've heard 2 guns mentioned. I've even heard 1 gun with other circumstances. What are those other circumstances? They were not defined today. If I make a profit on it? Retail price of some of my guns were as low as $45 in 1960. Retail price now is $450. How do I calculate a profit or a loss so I don't spend 10 years in the federal pen?
From everything I've read, the criteria remains exactly the same.

If you're buying guns with the intent to re-sell at a profit, and you do this over and over, the government will be able to make a pretty good case that you are actively "engaged in the business" without a license. It doesn't matter through what medium you're selling guns either whether it be the internet or at a gun show, but again, this has always been the case.

And even if you sold a gun to say, your brother-in-law or your neighbor for example, and they tried to say you were engaging in the business, that would never stick. The courts would have to throw it out because the law clearly allows those kinds of transactions to take place without the need to posses an FFL, and that law hasn't changed.

Everybody is freaking out but I'm telling you, practically nothing has changed. This was all a show.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
So he's a wimp, you say.

But he's rendered the GOP powerless even though they control:

Senate
House
Supreme Court
32 Governors
39 State Legislatures

So what's that make the right?

I report. You decide.

No one ever said that the GOP weren't wimps too. Why do you think Donald Trump is doing exceedingly well?

So your point is?

Old 01-06-2016, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
In a word, nonsense.
The precedent for executive actions has been set, and is valid. No violation of the Constitution occurred.

Background checks are part of the law, already, and the order simply strengthens the requirement for such checks being applied to online sales and gun shows.
The checks always did apply to online sales and gun shows for those running a business. These new requirements ( if you can even call them that ) just re-enforce the same laws that have existed for decades that state that if you're engaged in the business of dealing firearms, you must obtain a license.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit Obama has given congress 2 1/2 yrs to come up with a gun control bill and they have come up with jack time is up something need to be done. NRA loves mass shooting after one happens they can fear monger the publican and there will be a increase in gun sales for 2 to 4 weeks after a big mass shooting There is no reason some need 5 to 15 guns 1 hand gun for home protection is enough and do not need to take it everywhere you go like the park or doctor office

So I take it when the next Republican president takes office and gives congress a length of time to defund planned parenthood or abolish abortion altogether, and Congress doesn't act, you'd support the President just doing it on his own, right?

It's comments like yours that #1 really make me fear for the future of our Democracy and #2 helps me understand exactly what Ben Franklin meant when after being asked "what kind of government have you formed" he said in response " a republic, if you can keep it"... And you make these comments with either a complete lack of understanding or a complete disregard for what is called the separation of powers in our government. Why even elect representatives? If the president can just do whatever he wants, shouldn't we just cede authority over to the president now and become a full-fledged monarchy or dictatorship? Congress was elected by the people and they will be accountable to the people come next election. The President doesn't have to get bills passed in congress just as a courtesy, he has to do it because the Constitution says that they are co-equal branches of government. They aren't there to just rubber-stamp the presidents agenda and he can just do whatever he wants if they refuse. People like you operate under the assumption that your desired conclusion ( more gun control ) is the only acceptable outcome. That's why it's so funny to hear people say things like "congress left Obama no choice" as if the end result Obama wants is the only acceptable outcome. No, congress says no more gun control, so that's the end of it, and the people will judge that in the elections.

You just support Obama acting on his own because you happen to agree with what he's doing, but don't seem to comprehend the dangerous precedents it sets. What happens when a president makes an end run around your representatives in congress on an issue you don't agree with?

No matter though, because in the end, Obama did exactly what the Constitution allowed him to do on his own.... nothing, save for re-enforcing existing laws. In the meantime, my recommendation for you would be to go back and re-take your 5th grade civics / government class.

Old 01-06-2016, 04:26 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
No one ever said that the GOP weren't wimps too. Why do you think Donald Trump is doing exceedingly well?

So your point is?
That thing that whizzed over your head.

Old 01-06-2016, 04:30 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Obama chickend out and did nothing.all this over nothing wich is what he is nothing.
He did what he was within his power. It was obvious he was not going to propose something which the courts would bat down in a week. People have been screaming their lungs out for a week about Obama committing an impeachable offence and treason etc and yet they didn't have the slightest clue what he was going to announce.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:09 AM

29,524 posts, read 19,620,154 times
Just curious.... How would this EO have stopped the Sandy Hook massacre? President Obama shed tears to that horrible event at yesterday's news conference. It wouldn't have. Lanaza's mom but him the weapons.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:11 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Obama issues an order, which is not law, which cannot be enforced. In clear violation of the Constitution of the United States, and beyond his Constitutional authority, Obama "orders" (mandates) background checks for online & gun show sales.

This is unenforceable, as it is not law. Obama has no authority to make law. Secondly, "executive orders" may only apply to the administration and government agencies. They do not apply to private institutions, citizens, etc.

Therefore, there is nothing to compel anyone to follow his "order."

Obama is not a King, though he may think he is. Do not comply.
what are you talking about - which executive order is upsetting you?

Old 01-06-2016, 05:49 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
The checks always did apply to online sales and gun shows for those running a business. These new requirements ( if you can even call them that ) just re-enforce the same laws that have existed for decades that state that if you're engaged in the business of dealing firearms, you must obtain a license.
I do not know about all states, but plenty goes on in the gun shows-- you think where there are "profits" it is angels from God running the show?? Guns should NOT be sold like candy --and in some places they are-- we don't live in the woods of Nevada- I am for safety and training course- with any new registration
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies