Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 10:39 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times

Advertisements

Politicians are actually fallowing the UN Agenda 21
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 10:53 AM

988 posts, read 682,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Nothing could be further from the truth. Gun advocates do not think everyone should be armed. I would never want you to be. You don't have the judgement. The everyone needs to have a gun is a anti-gun expression. No gun enthusiast wants untrained people armed either. The fact is, many of us are trained. Many of us were trained in the military and continued our training in the civilian world. Do you even take that into consideration? No you don't. Most of us spend more time at the range practicing than your law enforcement does. I don't know anyone who advocates allowing a high school student to go to school with a gun. Again.. A spiffy little snide anti-gun comment. Go ahead and bloviate, but understand that most of us that actually do own firearms know a lot more about this topic than you ever will. It will continue to make you look foolish.
The shooter was a college student, 18 years old, a freshman.Deadly NAU shooting sends Flagstaff community searching for answers

He was highly trained. Flagstaff campus shooting suspect Steven Jones showed interest in firearms before NAU

Here's a link to one of several gun-nut groups that advocates more guns on campus for students.http://concealedcampus.org/

You're absolutely right. I did not take into consideration whether or not this young man was trained before coming up with my whacko conclusion that it wasn't a good idea for him to have a gun on campus. In my uninformed world, it made sense that mixing 18 year olds, college life including beer parties (where the shooting happened, he carried the gun in the trunk of his car), and guns was not a great idea. Again, I apologize sincerely. My bad. I am so far from the truth that I even took the title of this thread as having something to do with banishing gun free zones. Can you imagine that? Keep posting. I for one, and maybe some other people, need informed people like you, with military training, to help us tell right from wrong. I see know that my experience working with young people gave me absolutely no insight into this matter whatsoever. I am sure that you have a pretty good grasp of where eighteen year olds are in their development since you are so knowledgeable about everything else. I'll bet you've worked with thousands of teenagers. Best.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:57 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post
I'm so sick of this, "If everybody had a gun, we'd all be safe," line of thinking.
Blame the gun-grabbers, because they are the only ones repeating such nonsense.

Having a gun and being proficient with it only increases your odds of being able to defend yourself. It guarantees nothing.

If you don't want to increase your ability to defend yourself, that is your choice.

I just don't feel the government, or you, should have the ability to restrict me from defending myself.

BTW, it would be a very rare circumstance where I'd use my gun to protect strangers. My gun is for the protection of myself, my family and my friends.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Blame the gun-grabbers, because they are the only ones repeating such nonsense.

Having a gun and being proficient with it only increases your odds of being able to defend yourself. It guarantees nothing.

If you don't want to increase your ability to defend yourself, that is your choice.

I just don't feel the government, or you, should have the ability to restrict me from defending myself.

BTW, it would be a very rare circumstance where I'd use my gun to protect strangers. My gun is for the protection of myself, my family and my friends.
I didn't know you were a criminal. My bad.

Most people will not find their ability to defend themselves restricted by requiring background checks at guns shows.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:28 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,057 times
Quote:
How did you extrapolate that?

Old 01-06-2016, 01:10 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:

Most people will not find their ability to defend themselves restricted by requiring background checks at guns shows.
Obviously, you've never been to a gun show. If you go to any booth at a gun show and try to purchase a gun, they'll run a background check on you.

BTW, I have no issue with a law having gun dealers run background checks to ensure that you are a citizen and not having a criminal record that restricts your ability to purchase one.

However, any citizen who is not an arms dealer should be allowed to legally sell or give his gun to anybody unless he knows they are planning to use it for a crime, have a felony record or are not a citizen.

There should not be a gun registry.

I do find it amazing that you feel a person with these beliefs is a criminal. Did you ever work in East Germany for the Stasi?

Old 01-06-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Obviously, you've never been to a gun show. If you go to any booth at a gun show and try to purchase a gun, they'll run a background check on you.

BTW, I have no issue with a law having gun dealers run background checks to ensure that you are a citizen and not having a criminal record that restricts your ability to purchase one.

However, any citizen who is not an arms dealer should be allowed to legally sell or give his gun to anybody unless he knows they are planning to use it for a crime, have a felony record or are not a citizen.

There should not be a gun registry.

I do find it amazing that you feel a person with these beliefs is a criminal. Did you ever work in East Germany for the Stasi?
So you're not a criminal.

The other possibility, which I didn't mention out of courtesy, is that you're not very bright.

I'll explain to you how it works. If you get lost, look for a nearby elementary school kid to help.

1) Go to gun show. 2) Pass background check. 3) Buy gun.

The above technique fails a) if you're a criminal, or b) you're not smart enough to follow the three steps.

I hope this helps.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:02 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
Part of the problem is that there is no actual standard definition of "mass-shooting" or "spree-shooting," so people can just take incidents that fit a particular narrative and exclude others which don't.

For example, I don't usually see the Chai Vang/Wisconsin hunter massacre on lists of mass-shootings, even though it clearly WAS a mass-shooting. Those kinds of omissions are often political rather than "objective."

Old 01-06-2016, 02:09 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:

Most people know such a stupid law doesn't stop mass shootings either.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Most people know such a stupid law doesn't stop mass shootings either.
I don't know that.

I'm sure it won't stop the vast majority of them. People determined to shoot will find a gun.

It might stop somebody who is young, or half-serious, or who wants to be caught, and yes, there are people like that out there. Trying to buy a gun for a shooting that you aren't sure you want to carry out could be a cry for help. If nobody checks on you, you get the gun, people on the Internet and your inner circle egg you on, and the whole dynamic changes.

A failed background check might also bring somebody to the attention of law enforcement whom they were not looking at before. They can't monitor all felons. It's too many people. But if somebody with a record tries to buy semi-automatic weapons at a gun show, and fails, then they're looking at him. And yes, people do do things that stupid.

If you drop shooting deaths by 1% by actions like this, that's a victory. It's like the traffic laws. You don't set speed limits and mandate safer cars hoping to eliminate traffic deaths. You do those things hoping to reduce deaths, even by a small percentage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies