Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 02:51 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times

Advertisements

" We have seen mass shootings at military bases and other non-gun free zones. . .as well."

ALL of the military bases I have been on most assuredly WERE "gun free zones"!
Even the so-called "armed guards" on many bases do not have ammunition.
Even the 25th Infantry Division's base camp at Cu Chi, RVN, was a gun free zone! Sure, we all had guns (M-14s, actually), but we were NOT allowed to carry them around during our daily activities.
NAS Whidbey Island: Gun free zone
Joint Base McChord/Lewis, Washington: Gun Free Zone
Malmstrom AFB, Montana: Gun Free Zone
Schofield Barracks, Hawaii: Gun free zone
Wheeler AFB, Hawaii: Gun free zone
NAS Bargber's Point, Hawaii: Gun free zone
Naval Support Activity, Seattle: Gun free zone
Those are just a few of the bases I served on or visited during 24 years of combined active duty and drilling reservist!
Yes, there ARE guns on those facilities, but they are normally locked up. The airmen, soldiers and sailors do NOT have ready access to them on a daily basis!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 04:22 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
" We have seen mass shootings at military bases and other non-gun free zones. . .as well."

ALL of the military bases I have been on most assuredly WERE "gun free zones"!
Even the so-called "armed guards" on many bases do not have ammunition.
Even the 25th Infantry Division's base camp at Cu Chi, RVN, was a gun free zone! Sure, we all had guns (M-14s, actually), but we were NOT allowed to carry them around during our daily activities.
NAS Whidbey Island: Gun free zone
Joint Base McChord/Lewis, Washington: Gun Free Zone
Malmstrom AFB, Montana: Gun Free Zone
Schofield Barracks, Hawaii: Gun free zone
Wheeler AFB, Hawaii: Gun free zone
NAS Bargber's Point, Hawaii: Gun free zone
Naval Support Activity, Seattle: Gun free zone
Those are just a few of the bases I served on or visited during 24 years of combined active duty and drilling reservist!
Yes, there ARE guns on those facilities, but they are normally locked up. The airmen, soldiers and sailors do NOT have ready access to them on a daily basis!
I stood guard at Ft. Riley and Ft. Leonard Wood during the Vietnam war and we had unloaded M-14s.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:35 AM

10,228 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Speaking as a Coloradoan, I am not at all interested in having armed teachers and administrators in our schools. We have actual police officers on duty. There are three permanently assigned to my kids' high school alone, but they do not work for the district. They are sworn city officers, who patrol both the school and its immediate surroundings. This is not uncommon in my part of Denver, and it's a nice benefit, but it's not perfect. The Arapahoe High School shooting happened while a Sheriff's Deputy assigned to the high school was in conversation with an administrator in a hallway just around the corner from the library where the shooting took place. Would it have been better if the librarian had been armed? I'm not convinced the outcome would have been any different. Schools around here are very open environments where high school students come and go as their schedules dictate, which creates risk, but it also encourages young people to be responsible and independent, which I support wholeheartedly.
After Sandy Hook, Florida wanted to pass a law allowing armed teachers. Not only parents did not want it, but teachers did not either.

The district where I worked also had full time armed Sheriff's Deputies. It changed from one to three depending on the size of the school. Their squad car/s were always parked that the entrance of the campus, which would be visible to any potential shooter. Gun Free School Zones does not apply to LEO's.

I experienced two real lockdowns, even with armed Deputies on campus. Criminals fleeing the scene of their crimes running on campus to get away. One Florida elementary was not set up like a typical school. There were no hallways. Each classroom's entrance was only accessible from the outside. Think what a motel looks like.

Every classroom door was metal to protect from the weather. When we went into lockdown, doors were locked and the window blinds pulled down. We had to get the kids away from the windows. An active shooter could just shoot through the glass windows from outside. At the time this was a class of special needs 4 year olds. We took all of them into the classroom's bathroom and shut the door. The bathroom was the safest place away from all the windows. All the special needs staff had radios in case of an emergency. We could hear all the police broadcasts, and talk to them, so we knew before anyone else that was not a drill. Anyway to make a long story short, nothing happened and everyone was safe both times.

After Sandy Hook, we immediately thought of ourselves locked in that bathroom. Would a gun in that classroom stopped a bullet from coming through the windows? Just keep class in session while a teacher sat at her desk with her loaded gun? The little children were terrified as it was never mind seeing Ms. Suzie sitting with a real gun. No, none of the staff in that class wanted to be armed. The Principal being armed? Was she supposed to run from the Administration building chasing down an armed shooter? There were no classrooms in the Admin. Building. One poster said he wouldn't expect every teacher to be armed. Well, at our meeting not even ONE staff member wanted to be armed. They all agreed that it was the Deputies job, not the job of teacher. Given the physical setup of that campus, what good would having only a couple of armed teachers do? I think these Rambos think that an armed teacher in 2nd grade would take out the shooter first before an unarmed teacher in a 3rd grade class was attacked?

Anyway, from my experience working in public schools in two different state, I am thankful that the majority of parents AND teachers feel the way you do. Armed Deputies are a far better, and safer, solution than Armed Teachers.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:23 AM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
a bit like saying "most mass shooters ate bread two days before the shooting happened"

or "most mass shooters used a highway"

most mass shootings occur in gun-free zones is not statistically correct. Most workplaces and public avenues open to American public are "gun free". if you randomly pick 100 targets that were open to public and or workplace, most would be gun free. Correlation isn't causation. We have seen mass shootings at military bases and other non-gun free zones. . .as well.

And i've seen numb nuts ignore gun free zones with aplomb. . .like the local Chipoltle when a gun toting idiot from the gun range ignored their rules and had lunch. Employees there didn't have the guts to say anything.
OMG, we have to ban eating bread on a highway

Old 01-25-2016, 12:15 PM

23,532 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
U.S. gun violence: The story in graphics - CNN.com

check out graph #6, or 2nd from the bottom using the link above.

if the vast majority of active or mass shootings take place in a business or a school, doesn't logic dictate that those particular locations warrant armed protection?

making ambiguous laws in hopes that it somehow filters down to the criminals seems more than just illogical. It's downright idiotic.
No, the most killings take place is the same predictable locations and are clustered in cities like newark and detroit. Not evenly spread across the land.

Mass shootings by wackjobs are few and far between.

Don't get sidetracked by media celerbrated definition of a 'mass shooting' to forward a politcal agenda of michael bloomberg et al.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:46 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
No, the most killings take place is the same predictable locations and are clustered in cities like newark and detroit. Not evenly spread across the land.

Don't get sidetracked by media celerbrated definition of a 'mass shooting' to forward a politcal agenda of michael bloomberg et al.
I wouldn't take this CNN article too serious "A report done by a survey" by Switzerland no less.

Where is the "survey"

Who did they talk to?

How was it weighed?

Old 01-25-2016, 01:57 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I stood guard at Ft. Riley and Ft. Leonard Wood during the Vietnam war and we had unloaded M-14s.

I was out there at Ft. Leonard Wood with my unloaded weapon. Good thing I was experienced at saying: Bang! Nothing like guarding a munitions bunker with just an unloaded weapon!

I have to wonder why our SS offices still have armed guards. I know that they were required after 911; but isn't that overkill? Of course us seniors can get pretty feisty!

Old 01-26-2016, 11:58 AM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post

Well 2015 was pretty record setting as far as mass shootings in the US, what is you definition or are you claiming that many of the mass shooters weren't "wackjobs".

"According to the Tracker’s data, which defines a mass shooting as an incident in which at least four people are killed or wounded, there were 372 mass shootings in the U.S. in 2015, killing 475 and wounding 1,870. "
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/...ass-shootings/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies