Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 01:34 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times

Advertisements

I wonder how many will starve and/or freeze to death in the workers' paradise? Gotta love that planned economy.

I wonder what the flag says? I'm guessing "This Is Way Worse Than Katrina!"

Many in China to greet new year without power - Weather - MSNBC.com (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 01:42 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times
China is actually much more "raw capitalist" in the economic sense than the US. There is no national health care, school funding is often left up to local officials, there is no national old-age pension plan, very few workplace regulations, and so on. One of the reasons why doing business is so attractive there for foreign companies.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:49 PM

1,845 posts, read 4,227,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I wonder how many will starve and/or freeze to death in the workers' paradise? Gotta love that planned economy.

I wonder what the flag says? I'm guessing "This Is Way Worse Than Katrina!"

Many in China to greet new year without power - Weather - MSNBC.com (broken link)
Yeledaf

China has had a tremendous amount of catching up to do. Its land mass is huge as well as its population. It was stripped of its riches by the Opium trade and paying reparations to the Japanese prior to the Japanese then coming in to slaughter them during their occupation. top that off with the Nationalists ripping off the remaining treasury and there you have it.

In the next few decades China will catch up to first world status. I think that is pretty good.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:27 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,293 times
Capital venturers liken China to America in the 1800's. In other words, ripe for the picking.

That says alot, don't it?

Old 02-05-2008, 03:26 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
I think China won't live up to all the hype. Several reasons.

1) Several economists, including Lester Thurow and the IMF have begun to seriously doubt these incredible growth rates the Chinese keep throwing out. First, electrical capacity has not grown at nearly the rate of China's purported economic growth. This is an impossibility, especially in an economy where industrialization is the engine of growth. Second, Hong Kong is not seeing anywhere close to the growth rates as China, even though it's economy is now inextricably linked to mainland China. In other words, the Chinese government is cooking the books (A function of the Chinese government being deeply enmeshed in Chinese industry), and people are beginning to take notice.

2) China's One Couple/One Child Policy was instituted in the early 70s, and it is now making its effect felt. This is a demographic time bomb that will make our Social Security shortfall feel like a short-term cash flow problem. In China, there are no pensions of any kind to speak of and no real institutional way to cope with the enormous burgeoning of the elderly population, either in terms of healthcare or simple living facilities. If you don't think this will eviscerate economic growth and productivity, you're kidding yourself.

3) While everybody talks about China's gleaming coastal cities, nobody's talking about the budding agrarian crisis in the interior, where wages and technology are still mired in the status quo of decades ago. There are already whispers of small scale peasant revolts in the interior. I think it's only a matter of time before large-scale disruptions begin to present themselves, and Chinese leadership is ill-suited to make the foundational societal changes to achieve large-scale social welfare throughout the country.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:04 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
China is making great progress in terms of energy generation, and is willing to do massive public work projects to stage their next level of growth, no crowing at their problems from me:

CHINA THREE GORGES PROJECT

It certainly has run into some problems, but for the magnitude of the undertaking, it has gone fairly well. One thing that really impresses me, is their willingness to publicize their problems and to evaluate alternative solutions (as opposed to pretending the problems don't exist).

Three Gorges Dam is a disaster in the making, China admits - Times Online

Old 02-05-2008, 06:06 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,998,404 times
China isn't a "worker's paradise" so much as it is a weird, authoritarian forced meritocracy that deliberately keeps its labor and environmental standards low in order to attract foreign investment. In some ways they're closer to Alabama than to Sweden, so I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to get at, other than apparently attempting to take another swipe at the "secretly commie sympathizing left."

Old 02-05-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
China is making great progress in terms of energy generation, and is willing to do massive public work projects to stage their next level of growth, no crowing at their problems from me:

CHINA THREE GORGES PROJECT

It certainly has run into some problems, but for the magnitude of the undertaking, it has gone fairly well. One thing that really impresses me, is their willingness to publicize their problems and to evaluate alternative solutions (as opposed to pretending the problems don't exist).

Three Gorges Dam is a disaster in the making, China admits - Times Online
Not pretending problems don't exist? What do you call the massive pollution? Or the endemic corruption that keeps getting covered up. What about the vicious suppression of free speech and protest? The only reason the Chinese fessed up on the Three Gorges Dam was that it was simply too enormous to be swept under the rug.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:55 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Not pretending problems don't exist? What do you call the massive pollution? Or the endemic corruption that keeps getting covered up. What about the vicious suppression of free speech and protest? The only reason the Chinese fessed up on the Three Gorges Dam was that it was simply too enormous to be swept under the rug.
When you compare where they are in terms of disclosure of problems, vs where they were ten and twenty years ago, they have made significant progress. I'm not claiming they are an open society, but they have definitely made progress in being more forthright in admitting to problems and trying to address them.

As with anything, you need to measure where they are vs where they were.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
When you compare where they are in terms of disclosure of problems, vs where they were ten and twenty years ago, they have made significant progress. I'm not claiming they are an open society, but they have definitely made progress in being more forthright in admitting to problems and trying to address them.

As with anything, you need to measure where they are vs where they were.
Well, first you actually have to have a government that's presenting accurate numbers, not just ginning up statistics that have no grounding in fact. Evidently, China's stated economic numbers are not bearing up under scrutiny. Rather than turn in a respectable 5-6% growth rate (which is the suspicion of economists such as Nobel-winner Lester Thurow), bureaucrats in China are under pressure to manufacture numbers of 9-11% that fit the five-year plan.

There's a lot at stake on this, by the way. You don't like today's housing bubble? With today's colossal influx of investment dollars, this fraudulent representation of its performance will create a terrible confidence problem in the capital markets. The economic and social dislocation will be massive. I shudder to think how bad it could possibly get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies