Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 06:08 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,601,044 times

Advertisements

Oh geez, North Korea's showing off their hydrogen bombs this week.
I can imagine their dear leader doing a dance during the explosion.

"Don't touch this"

Last edited by RedZin; 01-06-2016 at 12:39 PM..

Old 01-06-2016, 06:23 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,412,847 times
USGS confirming detonation but indications are it is extremely unlikely it is hydrogen. Personally I am more concerned about whether or not it is mountable to an ICBM, this is the hurdle they have not yet jumped.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
USGS confirming detonation but indications are it is extremely unlikely it is hydrogen. Personally I am more concerned about whether or not it is mountable to an ICBM, this is the hurdle they have not yet jumped.
Yes, that's concerning. You never know what they're going to do. China doesn't seem very happy with the test as it triggered seismic activity of mag. 5.1. I guess we are flying over to check the site and confirm if it's indeed a hydrogen but that's doubtful.
They are, like you've stated, worried about them miniaturizing the bomb to put it on a missile that can hit our mainland. Japan can't be thrilled right now.
Guam is probably not thrilled either.

After all these years of threats from the North it's hard to take them as a serious threat in my opinion.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:15 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,486,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Yes, that's concerning. You never know what they're going to do. China doesn't seem very happy with the test as it triggered seismic activity of mag. 5.1. I guess we are flying over to check the site and confirm if it's indeed a hydrogen but that's doubtful.
They are, like you've stated, worried about them miniaturizing the bomb to put it on a missile that can hit our mainland. Japan can't be thrilled right now.
Guam is probably not thrilled either.
North Korea has more to fear from China than it does anyone else. Attacking another country with nukes would force the Chinese to take action and Kim Jong-un will not risk that. This is about attention, politics and playing to the internal audience.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:24 AM

NK is claiming it was miniaturized. No idea on if it is true but definitely a claim worthy of concern. Hydrogen or not is pretty much irrelevant.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
North Korea has more to fear from China than it does anyone else. Attacking another country with nukes would force the Chinese to take action and Kim Jong-un will not risk that. This is about attention, politics and playing to the internal audience.
I agree. North Korea is like China's black sheep, the North just won't get on board. They get slapped by China every once in a while. China could actually just swallow up the North and expand China at anytime. I keep waiting for it.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
NK is claiming it was miniaturized. No idea on if it is true but definitely a claim worthy of concern. Hydrogen or not is pretty much irrelevant.
He's like the kid who keeps threatening the neighborhood kids. One day he might accidentally hurt someone and a missile with a mini A-Bomb attached might just do some major damage. Oops,

Old 01-06-2016, 07:41 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,486,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I agree. North Korea is like China's black sheep, the North just won't get on board. They get slapped by China every once in a while. China could actually just swallow up the North and expand China at anytime. I keep waiting for it.
I agree with you about the relationship but I think it is hard for someone to integrate the North Korean people.

I read an interesting article on the reunification of Germany and how it would compare to the reunification of Korea.

There are a number of hurdles. North Korea’s per capita income is less than 5 percent than that of South Korea, the North Korean people would lose at least a generation of productivity as they are almost 50 years behind in technology and how they live. North Koreans have lived their entire lives under a totalitarian regime so there is no way they are just going to trust outsiders. This 2004 study estimated the reunification cost to be 10 percent of the GDP of South Korea for 20 years after reunification:

http://www.nber.org/papers/w10693.pdf

China may be in a lot better financial shape but I am not sure why they would want to invest money into this hole. They do not even share the same culture. I think they are just happy if North Korea toes the line and keeps all of its people controlled.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I agree with you about the relationship but I think it is hard for someone to integrate the North Korean people.

I read an interesting article on the reunification of Germany and how it would compare to the reunification of Korea.

There are a number of hurdles. North Korea’s per capita income is less than 5 percent than that of South Korea, the North Korean people would lose at least a generation of productivity as they are almost 50 years behind in technology and how they live. North Koreans have lived their entire lives under a totalitarian regime so there is no way they are just going to trust outsiders. This 2004 study estimated the reunification cost to be 10 percent of the GDP of South Korea for 20 years after reunification:

http://www.nber.org/papers/w10693.pdf

China may be in a lot better financial shape but I am not sure why they would want to invest money into this hole. They do not even share the same culture. I think they are just happy if North Korea toes the line and keeps all of its people controlled.
I wouldn't be surprised if South Korea did not want to reintegrate the north. Seems like it would be a painful process.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:55 AM

I agree with both of you. The North is really just an irritating joke. The only threat is Kim accidentally blowing up a neighbor while trying to show off his weapon. What an idiot. I am glad we aren't a direct neighbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies