Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2016, 02:23 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,325,444 times

Advertisements

Jesus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Jury sentencing?
Juries do not hand down sentences! As 2sleepy stated the only time that juries play a role in sentencing in a federal criminal case would be where the penalty involved a possible death sentence.

Quote:
Judge with mandatory sentencing?
That is what the Congress has decided, as I am sure that you have argued in the past, The Congress makes the rules, not the Court.

Quote:
There was no chance of jury nullification.
The jury could have simply found them not guilty but chose not to. In short they had their chance.

Old 01-18-2016, 02:32 PM

I think we are in full wash, rinse, dry, repeat mode at this point.

Old 01-18-2016, 02:39 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
What in the world are you talking about? All federal crimes are tried in federal court, that covers everything including interstate drug trafficking, kidnapping, counterfeiting and bank robbery. In 2012 there were 84,360 Federal sentencing's.

Never said they weren't. You reading between lines again?

Old 01-18-2016, 04:06 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Let's try this again: THIS is what you said, your words..not mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow
It is very rare a jury hears a federal case. Not saying it is never done, but it is very rare. Juries also set the penalty too. In the case of federal court, all that is usually left to one judge to convict and sentence you for a federally accused crime. They do not want the chance of jury nullification against the federal government. That cannot happen and make government look bad and their laws unjust.
And this was my response
Quote:
What in the world are you talking about? All federal crimes are tried in federal court, that covers everything including interstate drug trafficking, kidnapping, counterfeiting and bank robbery. In 2012 there were 84,360 Federal sentencing's. And where do juries set the penalty? As far as I know the only case in which juries have a role in determining a sentence is when (in some jurisdictions) they decide whether or not the death penalty should be imposed.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Let's try this again: THIS is what you said, your words..not mine.

And this was my response
Maybe this will help:

Ninety-seven percent of federal criminal cases end in plea agreements. So yes, federal criminal trials before a jury are rare as a percentage of all federal criminal prosecutions.

As for cases where a trial is held only in the presence of a judge, Rule 23(a) of the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure provides:
"Cases required to be tried by jury shall be so tried unless the defendant waives a jury trial in writing with the approval of the court and the consent of the government. "
So the fact is, being tried by only a judge is stacked against a defendant. Being tried by a jury is the default option in the Federal courts, and even if you desire to waive your 6th Amendment right to trial by jury, it requires the approval of the prosecution and the presiding judge.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:37 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
I think we are in full wash, rinse, dry, repeat mode at this point.
For some reason I suddenly feel like seeing if "Groundhog Day" is on Netflix.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:40 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Jury sentencing?

Judge with mandatory sentencing?

There rights were violated. There was no chance of jury nullification.
Did the jury have a clue what the sentence was? I doubt it, but could be wrong.

Old 01-18-2016, 05:11 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
It's strange how this whole thread derailed from the standoff in Oregon to re-litigating the Hammonds.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:38 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Maybe this will help:

Ninety-seven percent of federal criminal cases end in plea agreements. So yes, federal criminal trials before a jury are rare as a percentage of all federal criminal prosecutions.

As for cases where a trial is held only in the presence of a judge, Rule 23(a) of the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure provides:
"Cases required to be tried by jury shall be so tried unless the defendant waives a jury trial in writing with the approval of the court and the consent of the government. "
So the fact is, being tried by only a judge is stacked against a defendant. Being tried by a jury is the default option in the Federal courts, and even if you desire to waive your 6th Amendment right to trial by jury, it requires the approval of the prosecution and the presiding judge.

What is the federal requirement?

Old 01-18-2016, 07:59 PM

57,271 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Once the local people set up a charity to get rid of the "patriots" I think it's time to rethink their "siege".

"Two Oregon brothers have already raised over $26,000 in a campaign to get the Bundy brothers and their fellow armed occupiers out of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, where they have been camped out since January 2.
The brothers, Zach and Jake Klonoski, launched the 'Go Home' fundraising campaign on Sunday, with those opposing the occupiers set to benefit from the donations.
These beneficiaries include the gun control group Americans for Responsible Solutions; Friends of Malheur National Wildlife Refuge; the Southern Poverty Law Center; and the Burns Paiute Reservation, the Native American tribe who claim their ancestors were the original inhabitants of the land"

https://www.rt.com/usa/329369-oregon...aise-over-26k/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies