Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2016, 04:26 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,821,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
The worst is yet to come with Obamacare.....he's delayed over & over again the worst aspects of the plan. Something he had no legal right to do, but the court never stepped in.
Yep! It's simply "terrible" ....

Analysis of 2016 Premium Changes in the Affordable Care Act

Old 01-07-2016, 04:44 AM

77,013 posts, read 47,474,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Well one thing #56 is telling us. Passing this with one party only will lead to the eventual repeal when a different President does sign a repeal.
And the other party will strike back by repealing whatever the other party installs.

They are doing a heck of a job de-stabilizing the nation, and ensuring no one can count on anything going forward.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:32 AM

16,757 posts, read 8,174,387 times
The GOP has no idea what they are causing. Here in NC, with the failure to not expand Medicaid, we are seeing Hospitals close or cut back service in Rural areas. We are seeing among the highest increases in Ins. Rates. Hospital costs rising higher then most of the nation.

Yes let them repeal and we can watch the country fall further into 3rd world status.

The GOP= fiscal conservative not in my lifetime.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:50 AM

13,673 posts, read 8,976,887 times
A personal anecdote, which of course is meaningless:

I work for the Social Security Administration, in the Office of Adjudication and Review, which is the Federal level for reviewing applications for disability applications (after the claimant appeals from the State level). An administrative law judge holds a hearing with the claimant, and I write the decision.

The majority (I would guess 60 percent) of my cases involve people with no health insurance. In those cases we usually have several hundred pages of medical records from the emergency room of our local county hospital. Lacking health insurance, it is about the only resource many people have for health care.

I recently had one case about a woman with severe diabetes with peripheral neuropathy. The early records were from the ER. However, the records changed over to a private health clinic. The woman had obtained health insurance through the Obamacare exchange (since Texas did not set up a health exchange) and told the judge that she was paying only $2.00 per month for her insurance.

At the hearing the woman admitted, which the clinical records showed, that her condition had vastly improved being under regular medical care with one doctor (at the ER, of course, you see multiple doctors over time). Due to her improvement, the judge denied her disability application. I am not aware of her having appealed. I do not know if she returned to work.

It was gratifying to me, also a diabetic, to see that 1) this woman's quality of life improved with regular medical care; 2) that she was not having to keep visiting the ER for medical care (which county hospital is supported by my property tax); and 3) that she would not be joining the 'disability roll', in which the average person may receive some $300,000 in disability benefits (including Medicare or Medicaid, depending on the Title filed under) over their life.

True, this woman's health insurance is being subsidized, but I imagine that the cost of such is much less than if she were on disability.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:04 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,985,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
And those of us with preexisting conditions not covered before by companies, and who recieve more than the state limit (here SS exceeds it) for medicade will be out of luck. These zelots don't have to worry about that sort of thing. For the first time I can get medical insurence. Those who don't have this situation should remember that you never know what's waiting aroung the corner, and tomorrow it may be you.
You dont create policies which cause millions to lose care, just so you can have it, and then claim you've improved things..

Old 01-07-2016, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
And the other party will strike back by repealing whatever the other party installs.

They are doing a heck of a job de-stabilizing the nation, and ensuring no one can count on anything going forward.
So you need government to take care of you? Heck of an admission there..

Old 01-07-2016, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
A personal anecdote, which of course is meaningless:

I work for the Social Security Administration, in the Office of Adjudication and Review, which is the Federal level for reviewing applications for disability applications (after the claimant appeals from the State level). An administrative law judge holds a hearing with the claimant, and I write the decision.

The majority (I would guess 60 percent) of my cases involve people with no health insurance. In those cases we usually have several hundred pages of medical records from the emergency room of our local county hospital. Lacking health insurance, it is about the only resource many people have for health care.

I recently had one case about a woman with severe diabetes with peripheral neuropathy. The early records were from the ER. However, the records changed over to a private health clinic. The woman had obtained health insurance through the Obamacare exchange (since Texas did not set up a health exchange) and told the judge that she was paying only $2.00 per month for her insurance.

At the hearing the woman admitted, which the clinical records showed, that her condition had vastly improved being under regular medical care with one doctor (at the ER, of course, you see multiple doctors over time). Due to her improvement, the judge denied her disability application. I am not aware of her having appealed. I do not know if she returned to work.

It was gratifying to me, also a diabetic, to see that 1) this woman's quality of life improved with regular medical care; 2) that she was not having to keep visiting the ER for medical care (which county hospital is supported by my property tax); and 3) that she would not be joining the 'disability roll', in which the average person may receive some $300,000 in disability benefits (including Medicare or Medicaid, depending on the Title filed under) over their life.

True, this woman's health insurance is being subsidized, but I imagine that the cost of such is much less than if she were on disability.
With social security disability, she would have had government insurance previously, and then chose to make use of the ER.

Moving to private care, thereby making her healthier, is a goal many should have, but most people under ACA benefited due to an expansion of Medicaid, thereby increasing the number of people who used the ER for treatment.

Your example is proof that government actually is the wrong place for insurance, because people who are on those policies, abuse it, and use the most expensive, and inefficient method available to them because they dont care.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:19 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,915,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The Democrats had the Presidency and both Houses from 2009- 2011.
Just for the purpose of clarification and edification, when you wrote "2011," that was the first week of January 2011.

The Democrats didn't even completely control the Senate. Al Franken was seated nearly eight months after winning his Senate seat. Even if the Senate was controlled by Democrats (e.g. 50 seats), the statement ignores two other facts. a) there were Democrats in the Senate that vote as if they were Republicans. b) Republicans liberally used the filibuster to block legislation.

The Democrats never had 60 Senate seats post-2008. They had between 56 and 58 seats. For that very brief period they had 58 seats with consistent support from Bernie Sanders and inconsistent support from Joe Lieberman. The Democrats hardly had 60 Dem seats, and hardly 60 reliable Dem votes. Then in a special election the following January, Scott Brown won Teddy Kennedy’s old seat, and was sworn in on February 4th.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:27 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,915,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
With social security disability, she would have had government insurance previously, and then chose to make use of the ER.

Moving to private care, thereby making her healthier, is a goal many should have, but most people under ACA benefited due to an expansion of Medicaid, thereby increasing the number of people who used the ER for treatment.

Your example is proof that government actually is the wrong place for insurance, because people who are on those policies, abuse it, and use the most expensive, and inefficient method available to them because they dont care.
There is no requirement to have "government insurance" prior to applying for SSA disability. Medicare and Medicaid are government provided insurance. Social Security disability is a program for people who cannot work due to a disability.

Private insurance is no stranger to fraud and abuse and Medicare and Medicaid have lower costs than private insurance. It would be far better in America if we had Medicare for all.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:31 AM

77,013 posts, read 47,474,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So you need government to take care of you? Heck of an admission there..
Your words, not mine. I said nothing to suggest that. Why do you always have to twist other peoples words?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies