Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2016, 10:09 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Dear Pubs:

Keep your pants on, boys.

The ACA will be replaced by single payer.
Paid for how? By instituting a 20-25% VAT tax plus applying the highest marginal income tax rates to the middle class like European and Scandinavian countries do?

Old 01-07-2016, 10:14 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
As a conservative that wants ACA put to the dustbin of history, I am seething mad at the idiots in congress spinning their wheels with this nonsense.

The level of ignorance and arrogance in the republican leadership is mind boggling. THEY are the reason Trump is getting the support he is.
I've never seen anyone actually explain what makes the ACA so terrible. It is a flawed bill, but infinitely better than what existed before. Its flaws could theoretically be worked out, but that would take Congress, and they are totally worthless. 56x wasting taxpayer dollars doing absolutely nothing of value.

As far as Trump goes, people support him because they are nativist, bigoted idiots who don't understand what fascism is. The US is full of those people, far more than I ever wanted to believe. Trump makes them feel comfortable finally being able to say out loud every terrible thought they've ever had about any group of people. As terrible as Republican leadership is, they can merely be accused of stoking the flames of what already existed.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:15 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,949,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So is Obamacare. Or do you not watch CNN or read the NY Times?

Why Obamacare fails poor and middle class - CNN.com

Many Say High Deductibles Make Their Obamacare Insurance Useless
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/15/us...t-useless.html
I'm afraid our friends on the left are immune to reality. Their reality: Democrat idea or policy=good, anything else=bad. It's that simple.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Actually, I think this is the first one to actually reach his desk.
If at first you don't succeed, try 55 more times and still fail. GOP leadership at its finest.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:20 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,192,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
The millions of hard-working people who lacked health insurance before the Affordable Care Act are actually quite happy that they have insurance, knowing the GOP isn't interested in their welfare one bit. The GOP has no health insurance plan, and no intention of doing anything about it.

Voting for the GOP is like plotting your own demise. They really don't give a damn about anyone.
As with the ACA - voting for the dems gave the people the ACA mess which only dems voted for without really vetting what was in it.

We as a country need a POTUS who will steer the country in the correct direction and it's not a democrat imo.

Last edited by atgss; 01-07-2016 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-07-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
We had the best health care system in the world before the ACA. The ACA has been a total failure, has failed to make insurance more affordable, and with poorer service. People have not been able to keep their doctor, as promised. There are fewer choices, and people are forced to buy coverage for things they don't need (birth control for men?).

Because of the ACA, our family doctor was forced to quit his private practice and join a hospital group.

I hope that whatever replacement the GOP comes up with will rely on private insurance and things like being able to buy across state lines.

The ACA was all about getting control of peoples live via health care. Once you have control of their health care you can control behavior. That was the goal of the "progressive" movement which birthed the ACA.
How is it possible that millions of people now have insurance that did not, but it is somehow worse now and unaffordable to more people? That is logically impossible.

And I suspect that a lot of the issues are simply ignorance in choosing a plan.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:25 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I've never seen anyone actually explain what makes the ACA so terrible. It is a flawed bill, but infinitely better than what existed before. Its flaws could theoretically be worked out, but that would take Congress, and they are totally worthless. 56x wasting taxpayer dollars doing absolutely nothing of value.

As far as Trump goes, people support him because they are nativist, bigoted idiots who don't understand what fascism is. The US is full of those people, far more than I ever wanted to believe. Trump makes them feel comfortable finally being able to say out loud every terrible thought they've ever had about any group of people. As terrible as Republican leadership is, they can merely be accused of stoking the flames of what already existed.
Its not better than what was before, its the EXACT same thing, except it gives some segment of society insurance while increasing costs on everyone else..

btw, that "56x wasting taxpayer dollars" is ridiculous. Congress receives a salary, they'd be paid if they did that, or nothing at all.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
How is it possible that millions of people now have insurance that did not, but it is somehow worse now and unaffordable to more people? That is logically impossible.

And I suspect that a lot of the issues are simply ignorance in choosing a plan.
Not at all true, most who have insurance as a result of ACA had insurance previously, it just moved people from the private sector onto welfare. And because now these people are being paid for by the taxpayer, this increased the cost on everyone who had insurance, thus making it even less affordable, which is why people are now choosing higher deductible policies, meaning they now have "junk", less beneficial policies at higher cost..

You cant insure ten million people without passing the cost onto others, believing you can is whats logically impossible..

Old 01-07-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So you need government to take care of you? Heck of an admission there..
So you want to be like every 3rd world nation that couldn't give two sh*ts about the quality of life of its citizens? The reality is that there are a lot of people who need help sometimes. I have never understood the conservative aversion to basic empathy and compassion for other human beings.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
So you want to be like every 3rd world nation that couldn't give two sh*ts about the quality of life of its citizens? The reality is that there are a lot of people who need help sometimes. I have never understood the conservative aversion to basic empathy and compassion for other human beings.
We have a very good quality of life, something the left is trying to destroy. We have safety nets, and ways of helping people, that doesnt mean everything you do needs to be government paid for.

Creating a society where so many live in poverty, crime out the a$$, which is what welfare etc crates, is neither empathy, nor compassion. Try to explain it is to families whose children die by gun crossfire in housing projects, let me know what their response is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies