Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 02:45 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I can believe this. We, as a country, have raised at least two generations of squirrels afraid of everything. These kids apparently believe they will be protected all the time for the rest of their lives. If you think these kids are frightened of automobiles (anyone that rides bicycles on public roads SHOULD be afraid of automobiles) why are they willing to ride those bicycles? Travelling in a car is far safer than riding a bicycle anywhere. Hell, in the California hills you could be attacked by a Mountain Lion while on your bicycle.

In the novel "DUNE" lady Jessica stated that "Fear is the mind killer...." Being more afraid to drive a car than ride a bicycle is a fine example of this observation.

FWIW - maybe the developers of some of these huge suburban office malls suffering from lack of employees could convert a couple of the buildings to really nice apartments or condo at prices affordable to their prospective employees and close enough to ride a bicycle or walk to work. Providing changing rooms and showers at the work building would also help. If they simply got their heads out of the dark place they could see this opportunity.

Can you imagine a more satisfying world. Work in a cubical box all day them ride your bicycle through a park to your living box with the sensesurrond entertaining devices. People do that every day in every big city on the planet. I would hate it.
This is why these people that are born in malls and don't ever leave them are afraid of a gun when they see one. At least they realize how dangerous driving really is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 02:50 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
I grew up in Manhattan, NYC. Drive? Who drives? You grow up walking, taking buses and subway.

It was not until we moved to Queens and I had children at the age of 35 that I got my drivers license. Even with that, if I could walk somewhere, I did. Easier.

I have never driven on highways in all my 30 plus years of driving. I have taken side roads for over 30 miles when I absolutely HAD to drive somewhere far away. My husband does all the long distance driving on highways. You can compute yourself how old I am now. Helicopter generation? Far from it.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:53 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
This is not surprising... what have been told with regards to parenting back in the 90s? Self-esteem is important, don't keep scores in games so that no one's feelings are hurt, grading on curves in school instead of dealing with reality, ... they probably have faced very little adversity in their lives - so they just avoid it. Those kids are getting into adulthood now.

If I am scared to drive... why should I? You need to adjust to my needs. That's what my parents have done... that's what the schools have done...

Old 01-07-2016, 03:00 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
This is not surprising... what have been told with regards to parenting back in the 90s? Self-esteem is important, don't keep scores in games so that no one's feelings are hurt, grading on curves in school instead of dealing with reality, ... they probably have faced very little adversity in their lives - so they just avoid it. Those kids are getting into adulthood now.

If I am scared to drive... why should I? You need to adjust to my needs. That's what my parents have done... that's what the schools have done...
Well it sounds like this focuses more on the NYC metro, so it makes more sense. As for not keeping track of the score at games, that makes sense during the period of time when children are in their learning stages of how to play a sport. Keeping score isn't as important as learning the rules and how to play.

Seeing you are in Texas, I am betting you too would be a bit scared driving in the NYC metro.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:05 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,929,392 times
I am so happy to hear this study, if only to assure myself that my son isn't completely NUTS Now 25, he went for his temp permit at 15 1/2 at his mother's urging, though he really didn't want to. The driving instructor put him on a major busy street his first time out and he was absolutely petrified. Needless to say, he finally got his license at 24, but still doesn't like to drive. I have never understood it, but didn't know what to do. Putting someone behind the wheel who is terrified to be there is a recipe for disaster. I think he's OK now, even drives the freeway.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:05 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
So the company adds 6 floors to their building.
One for a shopping mall, hospital, and crematorium.
5 floors of apartments.
then put a park on the roof.
then their employees can take the elevator or escalator to work.
they can do all their shopping in the mall, and take their vacation at the roof top park.
With teleconferencing, they will never have to leave the building from birth to death.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:10 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Don't think it has much to do with kids now being scared to drive as opposed to the past (you find that pretty much in every generation).

The amount of people who have moved back to the cities has gained more steam over the years, so that likely adds to it. Those that live in most of NYC really have no need to drive.

Hell here on Long Island much of the recent developments and projects have been those clustered around Long Island Rail Road stops, to make things easier for commuters (many places for 20 and 30 somethings), cut down on traffic, (which absolutely sucks) parking problems, etc.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:15 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
They just need more medication and a mother who will drive them to the mall at 32.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:20 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
5 floors of apartments.
they can do all their shopping in the mall, and take their vacation at the roof top park.
With teleconferencing, they will never have to leave the building from birth to death.
It's like termite mounds.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:25 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
5 floors of apartments.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whittier,_Alaska

Most of the people there live in 1 building. Crazy but I guess it works for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies