Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 04:56 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,275,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
Huge buying opportunity so front load your 401ks this year folks.
Absolutely correct - these Market lows are GOOD for the young (and for those with some cash to buy low). If you didn't "correct" last quarter - sit tight or look for buying opportunities if you have the cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Wait til the Iranians destroy the Saudi Oil facilities.
Good Grief! What are you smokin'?
You are seriously thinking that Iran is going to start bombing Saudi Oil Fields.

We have just lost 911 points on the Dow this week and you are talking about an all out Sunni/Shia War?

Old 01-07-2016, 05:04 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,549,057 times
Iran accuses Saudis of striking its Yemen embassy - CNN.com

Escalating

Old 01-07-2016, 05:29 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
This is mostly about China.

The Yuan is devaluing and China had to suspend trading for the second time this week.

China is a huge buyer of big $ stuff from the US. For example:

Boeing got an order for 300 aircraft from China back in September worth $38 billion. No idea of the currency in that transaction. If Yuan, Boeing is screwed. If USD, China is screwed.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 01-07-2016 at 05:39 PM..

Old 01-07-2016, 05:37 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I guess we need to blame the Evil-Bush-Hitler-Cheney for this disastrous fall of the Dow - that's exactly what happened the last time it fell. Looks like the Legendary "Pivot to Asia" didn't work out so well.Dow off to worst January start ever as China fears grow

Dow off to worst January start ever as China fears grow |Reuters
"When you have a market that begins a year with weakness, people are sort of suspect anyway. The economy isn't moving all that well, the outlook is modest at best, and they don't want to wait for the long term. China creates more uncertainty."

The Dow Jones industrial average .DJI closed down 392.41 points, or 2.32 percent, to 16,514.1, the S&P 500 .SPX had lost 47.17 points, or 2.37 percent, to 1,943.09 and the Nasdaq Composite .IXIC had dropped 146.34 points, or 3.03 percent, to 4,689.43.

The Dow has lost 5.2 percent since the end of 2015 in the worst first four trading days since the 30-stock index's creation.

Clinton & TeamObama will continue to Pat themselves on the Back for our Economy.
Buckle your seat belts - we are in for a Bumpy Ride. Booooosh!!
Why are you always looking to blame someone? Dips are a part of normal cycle in the markets, although this bull has been running far longer than normal. We need a few thousand point drop.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Why are you always looking to blame someone? Dips are a part of normal cycle in the markets, although this bull has been running far longer than normal. We need a few thousand point drop.
I'm not really "blaming" anyone ..... just pointing out that when the Market tanked in 2008, it was ALL about the Evil-Bush-Hitler-Cheney. Now the shoe is on the Left Foot and you can bet we will hear a totally different "excuse". Enjoy your "dip" and work out how you will shift the "blame" to someone other than the Current Regime. It's what Leftist's do. It amuses me to watch the hypocrisy.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:45 PM

57,314 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I'm not really "blaming" anyone ..... just pointing out that when the Market tanked in 2008, it was ALL about the Evil-Bush-Hitler-Cheney. Now the shoe is on the Left Foot and you can bet we will hear a totally different "excuse". Enjoy your "dip" and work out how you will shift the "blame" to someone other than the Current Regime. It's what Leftist's do. It amuses me to watch the hypocrisy.
What does this drop have to do with anything that took place in the US, what is the point in this thread. Did anyone blame Bush for the rise to 18,000 or gas at $2.20, but it's the leftists. LOL

Get over it Bush screwed up a lot of things but if you knew anything this has to do with China, time to grow up and move on.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:39 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
There is one bright spot in the stock market. I understand stocks of gun companies are doing very well lately.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:43 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,933,269 times
If you can't pay the fare, don't get on the train. I'm always amazed when people freak out over a drop in the DOW. Maybe it's time to re-evaluate what you own. I don't like volatility, so I own stocks of companies who make boring things that people always need. I don't care what happens in China, people aren't going to stop smoking, using their cell phones or washing their clothes. Meanwhile, the dividends just keep rolling in.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:06 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,961,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
Huge buying opportunity so front load your 401ks this year folks.
Yep. This is mostly about very weak foreign markets, the extremely strong US $, low energy prices, and poor holiday performance at brick and mortar retailers. I'm seeing this as an opportunity to buy some foreign stock funds while they're in the tank because I won't be touching them for over a decade.

The only people in a panic over this are the usual doom and gloomers here, day-traders, retailers, and corporations that live and die on a quarterly basis. So, while it's not good, it ain't that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies