Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 11:13 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
The founders also didn't intend to end slavery. I don't understand the type of thinking that everything the founders intended must be eternal. Are you going to start making the argument that the founders never intended for the FAA to exist because there were no planes back then? Let's end all air travel because the founders never intended for the air to be filled with air planes.
oh please

as to the founding fathers envisioning slavery lasting forever, and wanting to continue it....total lie of the left

Quote:
a disposition to abolish slavery prevails in North America, that many of Pennsylvanians have set their slaves at liberty, and that even the Virginia Assembly have petitioned the King for permission to make a law for preventing the importation of more into that colony. This request, however, will probably not be granted as their former laws of that kind have always been repealed
Ben Franklin

The inconsistency of the institution of domestic slavery with the principles of the Declaration of
Quote:
Independence was seen and lamented by all the southern patriots of the Revolution; by no one with deeper and more unalterable conviction than by the author of the Declaration himself [Jefferson]. No charge of insincerity or hypocrisy can be fairly laid to their charge. Never from their lips was heard one syllable of attempt to justify the institution of slavery. They universally considered it as a reproach fastened upon them by the unnatural step-mother country [Great Britain] and they saw that before the principles of the Declaration of Independence, slavery, in common with every other mode of oppression, was destined sooner or later to be banished from the earth. Such was the undoubting conviction of Jefferson to his dying day. In the Memoir of His Life, written at the age of seventy-seven, he gave to his countrymen the solemn and emphatic warning that the day was not distant when they must hear and adopt the general emancipation of their slaves
John Quincy Adams

Jefferson himself had introduced a bill designed to end slavery

Quote:
Even the sacred Scriptures had been quoted to justify this iniquitous traffic. It is true that the Egyptians held the Israelites in bondage for four hundred years, . . . but . . . gentlemen cannot forget the consequences that followed: they were delivered by a strong hand and stretched-out arm and it ought to be remembered that the Almighty Power that accomplished their deliverance is the same yesterday, today, and for ever
Elias Boudinot, President of the Continental Congress

Quote:
Never in my life did I own a slave.
John Adams, Signer of the Declaration, one of only two signers of the Bill of Rights, U. S. President

Quote:
Why keep alive the question of slavery? It is admitted by all to be a great evil.
Charles Carroll, Signer of the Declaration

Quote:
As Congress is now to legislate for our extensive territory lately acquired, I pray to Heaven that they may build up the system of the government on the broad, strong, and sound principles of freedom. Curse not the inhabitants of those regions, and of the United States in general, with a permission to introduce bondage [slavery]
John Dickinson, Signer of the Constitution; Governor of Pennsylvania

Quote:
Domestic slavery is repugnant to the principles of Christianity. . . . It is rebellion against the authority of a common Father. It is a practical denial of the extent and efficacy of the death of a common Savior. It is an usurpation of the prerogative of the great Sovereign of the universe who has solemnly claimed an exclusive property in the souls of men.
Benjamin Rush, Signer of the Declaration

Quote:
"[T]here is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do, to see a plan adopted for the abolition of [slavery]."
George Washington

Did you know? Benjamin Franklin was president of America's first anti-slavery society. Franklin's last public act was to petition Congress on February 3, 1790, to abolish slavery, urging them to "devise means for removing the inconsistency from the character of the American People" and to "promote mercy and justice toward this distressed race."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 01:32 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
I agree, but they are well regulated. The Second Militia act of 1792 mandated every eligible man to purchase a military-style gun and ammunition for his service in the citizen militia. Such men had to report for frequent musters, where their guns would be inspected and, yes, registered on public rolls (a State registry). Furthermore, in Philadelphia back in 1823, there are documents showing that there were 12,678 rifles in private hands, indicating some records of who owned what kind of firearm. So no, I don't think background checks and registration would violate the Second Amendment as long as it's the individual States doing so and not the federal government, since the purpose of the Second Amendment (and all the Bill of Rights) was to "secure a free State", and secure the individual rights of the people

OK, when I report to my state militia, they may record the serial number on my military-style weapon, count my rounds and magazines, note the condition of my deuce gear and inspect my sleeping bag for lice.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:45 AM

29,501 posts, read 19,602,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
OK, when I report to my state militia, they may record the serial number on my military-style weapon, count my rounds and magazines, note the condition of my deuce gear and inspect my sleeping bag for lice.
I'm just stating that there is a historical precedent, and that States wouldn't be violating the Constitution if they required registration or background checks

Old 01-11-2016, 10:15 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Before you promote background check, please read these two DOJ reports and tell me more background checks is a a good idea even though the government doens't do jack squat with the current background checks.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/bjs/grants/234173.pdf

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/bjs/grants/239272.pdf

Old 01-11-2016, 01:01 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
How can the president violate the Hipaa law and give health information to other agencies?

Old 01-11-2016, 01:24 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
How can the president violate the Hipaa law and give health information to other agencies?
nothing says that the ACTUAL health information has to be given

its the same with anyother information on a background check

you could have a warrant against you, the background check will come back as not approved, red flag with a code

there is nothing wrong with background checks...but mental health certainly needs to be part of it...the question is why wont liberals address the mental health issue....is it they actually understand the liberalism is a mental disease

Old 01-11-2016, 02:39 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times
Quote:
In principal, I take no issue with what Obama claims he is doing. Background checks and licensing of gun owners? No problem.

What I take issue:
A.) Executive overreach. The President of the United States is tasked with enforcing laws, not creating them. That's Congress' job. And unless the guns in question are crossing state lines, it should be the purview of the state and local government to establish and enforce any and all firearm regulations. Executive Orders are nowhere defined in the Constitution but have been upheld by the SCOTUS as strictly a tool for taking action in emergencies when there isn't time to wait for Congress.
B.) We have ample reason to not trust President Obama. Since he took office, we've seen all manner of tactics to make ammunition, especially cheap ammo like .22LR, scarce. Prior to Obama, you could pop by your local WalMart and pick up 2000 .22LR for about $20-30. Currently, you can't even find it on the shelf. While some blame rests on gun owners making a run and stockpiling, something is clearly keeping the laws of supply and demand from balancing the equation. If there's a massive demand for winter coats, people making winter coats increase production and often open additional factories if you still can't keep up. Here we are heading into Obama's 8th year and there is still a massive shortage of ammo. I think Obama has done some fiddling to increase the shortage. Nothing else really makes sense.

Gun owners know that Obama can't be trusted. Just because he claims his Executive Order will just force background checks and licensing, I have a hard time buying it. The vast majority of gun control legislation in this country creates regulation that seeks to make guns and ammo too expensive for the average American. Can anybody say with 100% certainty that he's not doing that here? If enforced, would Obama's fake laws will almost certainly make it a lot more expensive for your average law-abiding US citizen to purchase guns and ammunition. There's always things loaded into the fine print that do exactly that.

Old 01-11-2016, 02:50 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times
Quote:
One of the reasons that it will be useless is that the bad guys are not going to follow any such rules when it comes to background checks, I just cannot imagine somebody with a criminal record attempting to purchase a firearm from a private party, and the seller informing him that he'll have to go to a licensed dealer and run the buyer's information through the background check. The bad guy will resort to other methods to buy a gun on the black market, or steal it. The bottom line is, bad guys will not follow any rules or laws.

You say that it won't have any effects on our rights to own guns? Don't bet on it, it'll be another step to gradually chisel away at the Second Amendment.

Old 01-11-2016, 03:05 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
One of the reasons that it will be useless is that the bad guys are not going to follow any such rules when it comes to background checks, I just cannot imagine somebody with a criminal record attempting to purchase a firearm from a private party, and the seller informing him that he'll have to go to a licensed dealer and run the buyer's information through the background check. The bad guy will resort to other methods to buy a gun on the black market, or steal it. The bottom line is, bad guys will not follow any rules or laws.

You say that it won't have any effects on our rights to own guns? Don't bet on it, it'll be another step to gradually chisel away at the Second Amendment.
Well, current laws (and all these new proposals) only track the receiver so if a criminal was really intent they can buy a 80% finish it themselves in their garage and buy everything over the counter so in theory (and reality) background checks are worthless. There is no date of purchase, no paper trail, nothing to trace back to a buyer.

Is it illegal for a felon to own? Of course. There is nothing in place that would actually achieve keeping a gun out of a felon's hands.

Old 01-11-2016, 03:09 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
nothing says that the ACTUAL health information has to be given

its the same with anyother information on a background check

you could have a warrant against you, the background check will come back as not approved, red flag with a code

there is nothing wrong with background checks...but mental health certainly needs to be part of it...the question is why wont liberals address the mental health issue....is it they actually understand the liberalism is a mental disease
The whole background check thing is stupid. If we can't trust a person with firearm, maybe we shouldn't trust that person with stuff like cars, gasoline, explosives, knives, or near our children.

If a person is ineligible to purchase a firearm, he or she should remain in prison or in hospital!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies