Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 12:19 PM

366 posts, read 1,017,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Why aren't more average Americans outraged at seeing 1/4-1/3 of their income disappear into a black hole? Why aren't more Americans outraged at the fact that they're required to fill out a document that can be used against them? Why aren't more Americans outraged at the fact that the IRS has been found to have political reasons for auditing certain individuals and organizations? Why aren't more Americans outraged that the IRS illegally siezes property? Why aren't more Americans outraged at the fact that the 16th Amendment is Unconstitutional? Why aren't more Americans outraged at the fact that they have to spend an entire day filling out this crap?
There just isn't anything for me to be outraged about when I fill out my taxes. I don't own a home, or have any other reason to itemize so a 1040A form is easy enough to fill out. Besides, I don't believe the rate I pay is unreasonable and have more important day to day priorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 02:06 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I don't know where you get that. I'm low middle class income, and 25% of my income goes to taxes. (15% federal and 10% state) I only get like a $700 refund and pay in nearly 10K a year.
Your math doesn't add up. There's no possible way you pay an effective rate of 15% on federal income taxes in the 'lower middle class.' Your income would need to be about $200,000/year.

You're probably conflating marginal rates with effective rates, and also conflating total tax burden with federal income tax burden.

Old 01-16-2016, 12:20 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,310,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
4. Too many non-weathy people using more in services than they are being taxed for. If you have 5 kids you should be paying MORE in taxes, not getting a credit to lower your tax burden.
I think the "dependent" count should stop at two children, regardless of income, you want to have 6, 8, 20 ? go ahead, you will pay MORE in taxes than a single person.

You shouldn't be consider "poor" due to the family size when if you have only two children you would be clearly middle-class, NO government financial assistance, NO free health care, etc..

Old 01-16-2016, 01:09 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
Out total income is well into 6 figures and I am happy with our total tax liability as it is. I just wish they would eliminate all deductions and lower the rate to equal out to the same amount paid, so that it would be easier doing our taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies