Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2016, 08:35 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times

Advertisements

This thread reminds me of an article I read some years back.

During WWII, American men, of course, flew fighter planes and bombers over Europe and Asian theaters. Yet, the planes were manufactured in the US of A. How did the planes get to the east/west coasts for transport to the theaters?

Women pilots. I cannot recall the article I read, but I just googled and here is another article about it:

Female WWII Pilots: The Original Fly Girls : NPR

The women did very well indeed. Of course, as noted in the article, when the war ended, none of these experienced pilots could actually get a job as a pilot with any large commercial airline. Those were reserved exclusively for the returning veterans.

This was just one industry. With the end of the war many women found that their skills were no longer required.

I also recommend the book by Studs Terkel concerning WWII (I forget the name). Mr. Terkel interviewed many of the participants of WWII, in various capacities, from fighter to homemaker. Several of the women he interviewed also lamented the fact that after the war, they were simply expected to return to being housewives.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:36 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Ah, yes, the wonderful, mythical '50s. As a woman, though, my only choices for a career were a teacher or a nurse--and then only until I found a good man and stayed home to have babies and clean the house.

Nope, I don't miss that at all.

Barefoot and in the kitchen! That's how to keep the womenfolk happy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creator1483 View Post
She was happy with what she got. She was VERY active in politics in the community,PTA,etc....only modernized woMEN act like being a mother and wife isn't good enough. Fortunately I got one of the good sane ones.She loves being a mother and wife. She says its the greatest thing in the world to do she truly ENJOYS IT. Love how people of today think women of the past were soooo oppressed. Such nonsense.They are more oppressed today when you really have no choice but to work because it costs so much to make ends meet.

Ewww. The whole point of women's lib was to give women CHOICES. IF you are happy being a wife and mother - great! IF you are happy being the manager of a national corporation - great!

To basically force a women into a very rigid role of housewife - wasn't really fair either.

Choices are good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
By any conceivable measure "mother's little helpers", as in prescription drugs to combat depression, are vastly more common now than they were even 20 years ago, let alone 60. What does that say about the wages of modernity?

And although I couldn't readily find statistics for American women or mothers, for Americans as a whole alcohol consumption levels are currently similar to what they were the 1950s:
"Mother's Little Helper' were usually Valium and those in the Benzo family - at least that's always what I saw portrayed on television!

It also says we have a much larger population of women that we used to.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:43 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
This thread reminds me of an article I read some years back.

During WWII, American men, of course, flew fighter planes and bombers over Europe and Asian theaters. Yet, the planes were manufactured in the US of A. How did the planes get to the east/west coasts for transport to the theaters?

Women pilots. I cannot recall the article I read, but I just googled and here is another article about it:

Female WWII Pilots: The Original Fly Girls : NPR

The women did very well indeed. Of course, as noted in the article, when the war ended, none of these experienced pilots could actually get a job as a pilot with any large commercial airline. Those were reserved exclusively for the returning veterans.

This was just one industry. With the end of the war many women found that their skills were no longer required.

I also recommend the book by Studs Terkel concerning WWII (I forget the name). Mr. Terkel interviewed many of the participants of WWII, in various capacities, from fighter to homemaker. Several of the women he interviewed also lamented the fact that after the war, they were simply expected to return to being housewives.
They apparently cannot (now) be buried in Arlington National Cemetery either:

​Female WWII pilots barred from Arlington National Cemetery - CBS News

The more things change...

Old 01-11-2016, 09:19 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

I think to a lot of people, The “good old days” were a simpler time that allowed for a simpler life and, therefore, a simpler people. I can understand why people feel they were simply happier then.
True. I feel that way looking back even in my own life. Nostalgia is blinding. People tend to remember the good and forget the bad.

A common situation back then you don't hear as much about today would be for a father to be suffering from PTSD from WWII and to cope, turned to alcohol. Because of his alcoholism, he is emotionally and physically abusive to his wife and children. He has fits of rage where he physically beats his family. One time he was beating his son so hard and wouldn't stop that his wife pulled a gun on him to save her son's life. His wife can't leave though because in that time, it would have been a scandal for a woman to leave her husband. The police wouldn't do anything about it because they would never take the word of a woman, plus the father was a good standing deacon in the Baptist church so he could never do anything like that.

The '50s were a very broken time but in public, everybody was fake, conformed to societal norms, and put on their happy face.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:26 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,521,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I'd rather grow up in the old west.

No laws, live off the land, gamble/live it up in town on the weekends with hookers.

That's my idea of wholesomeness.
yea it'd be great...death from strep throat, std's galore, no modern plumbing. thats the life.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:28 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
yea it'd be great...death from strep throat, std's galore, no modern plumbing. thats the life.
YeeHaw!

Old 01-11-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I'd rather grow up in the old west.

No laws, live off the land, gamble/live it up in town on the weekends with hookers.

That's my idea of wholesomeness.
There were a lot of laws in the old west. People have a lot of misconceptions about life in old west towns.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
This wasn't better?

-More Intact Families
-More National Unity
-More Wholesomeness
Wholesomeness is a subjective opinion. I don't see the 1950's as anymore wholesome than today. In fact in a lot of ways it was less so. There were more intact families back them because the divorce laws were draconian at the time. Getting a divorce was a very hard and expensive process. So people stayed together even if the situation was miserable or abusive. I don't view that as a positive. There was no more National Unity back than then there was today. You simply didn't have to hear about it as much is all. I can only imagine the types of comments that would of went on if City-Data was around during the Civil Rights era. This Country has always been divided between the agrarian South and the Industrial North.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
It's common knowledge that diversity, affirmative action, multiculturalism etc is government and corporate policy and the media too. We see and here it every day.

If you want some statistics on affirmative action read here:
Adversity.Net Home Page

computations whereas in prior years they used 1990 census data.
The feds exceed their hiring quotas for blacks in all 23 independent federal agencies.
In fact, in the top three independent federal agencies for black quota hires, the other preferred groups did not do so well.
[CENTER]]CSOS (Court Services and Offender Supervision Agency) overhired blacks by 808% over their proportion in the civilian labor force.GPO (U.S. Gov't Printing Office) overhired blacks by 503% over their proportion in the civilian labor force.
PBGC (the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation) overhired blacks by 409% over their proportion in the civilian labor force.

Almost all the other preferred race / gender groups in these three agencies were hired at rates at or below their proportion in the civilian labor force. Similarly, in 17 of the 18 federal executive departments, blacks were overhired by 14% to 363% over their proportion in the civilian labor force. The graphic below illustrates the dramatic overhiring of blacks by the top three federal executive departments:
HUD (U.S. Dept. of Housing and Urban Development) overhired blacks by 363% over their proportion in the civilian labor force.
Department of Education overhired blacks by 329% over their proportion in the civilian labor force.
And the U.S. Department of State overhired blacks by 231% over their proportion in the civilian labor force.

You ask for data then when I give it to you, you say, "I don't want to read someone else's information. I want your personal view". Then I give you my view, you say, "I want data and sources". No, you just want to argue in circles and obfuscate as lefties typically do.
Basically you want it so that nobody that isn't a white man has a chance at anything. Gotcha .

Old 01-11-2016, 09:43 AM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
My grandparents missed the 1930s. My parents missed 1960s. I was born in 1985 and don't know the differences. Memory Lane is not an actual, physical street.

I think to a lot of people, The “good old days” were a simpler time that allowed for a simpler life and, therefore, a simpler people. I can understand why people feel they were simply happier then.

You're right and I can speak from experience because I was alive back then. We were a much more cohesive and moral society (in general) back then. Of course, I wouldn't want to return to the bad things back then such as the way blacks were treated what I am speaking about are the good things. I don't like this new so-called progressive society today where anything goes so to speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies