Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 08:50 PM

18,986 posts, read 8,998,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Ah. Well my mother was a woman back then. She worked until she had kids. Stopped until we were all in school and then went back to work.

Office job.

Plenty of women worked, plenty of kids worked too.

My aunts both worked..one for AT&T and the other was a bank manager.
Sure, my mom worked part time, too, in a bakery. It wasn't a career, though, because in general, women didn't have those. They had menial labor jobs. There weren't any female doctors or lawyers or VPs or CEOs or scientists back then. Just think of how much talent was most likely wasted by the social norms that blocked the vast majority of women from using their brains and talent. That's the world the OP wants to return to.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,155,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Sure, my mom worked part time, too, in a bakery. It wasn't a career, though, because in general, women didn't have those. They had menial labor jobs. There weren't any female doctors or lawyers or VPs or CEOs or scientists back then. Just think of how much talent was most likely wasted by the social norms that blocked the vast majority of women from using their brains and talent. That's the world the OP wants to return to.
Single women had careers from what I recall because they didn't have to stop working when they had kids.

Those were my 2 aunts..single and they had careers, bank manager and some type of manager with AT&T. Both retired and got pensions. Wasn't the norm but it did exist.

Women were not prominent in business until the push of the 70's.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:52 PM

1,188 posts, read 953,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
as was mentioned she couldn't of been a police officer, a fire fighter or many other jobs that are so common place today
The jobs you mentioned aren't common at all. What percentage of the population works as police officers and firefighters? Less than 1%, I bet. And government jobs, back in the old days, weren't as lucrative and cushy as they are today.

The jobs that were common back in the day were manual labor jobs and do you think women wanted to or were capable of doing those?

As if being a teacher is soooo bad ... My grandman was a teacher, seemed to have loved it, and is receiving pension payments 70+ yrs later ...

Old 01-10-2016, 08:54 PM

26,202 posts, read 14,818,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
When Democrats had a super majority in the Legislature and the Presidency.
Quote:
Originally Posted by max340 View Post
Eisenhower wasn't a Democrat. Maybe some people were so "madly for Adlai" that they really believe that Stevenson occupied the White House.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Truman was though. BAM!
At no point in the 1950s did the Democrats have a super majority in the legislature and the presidency - not even under Truman. BAM!

Old 01-10-2016, 08:54 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,218,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
The jobs you mentioned aren't common at all. What percentage of the population works as police officers and firefighters? Less than 1%, I bet. And government jobs, back in the old days, weren't as lucrative and cushy as they are today.

The jobs that were common back in the day were manual labor jobs and do you think women wanted to or were capable of doing those?

As if being a teacher is soooo bad ... My grandman was a teacher, seemed to have loved it, and is receiving pension payments 70+ yrs later ...
Some jobs no, and some jobs yes. There are always going to be some women who do want those jobs. Having that ability to do so it the key.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
At no point in the 1950s did the Democrats have a super majority in the legislature and the presidency - not even under Truman. BAM!
Well you got me there .

Old 01-10-2016, 08:56 PM

18,325 posts, read 18,913,187 times
Quote:
FYI...

The most common job for women is the same as it was in 1950
And yet, despite how different America may seem on so many levels from the 1950s, one thing remains (perhaps surprisingly) the same. The most common job for American women is — drum roll, please — secretary.

In fact, according to the U.S. Census, the top five jobs for women in 2010 changed very little from 1950. Back in the '50s, women most commonly held positions as secretaries, bank tellers or clerical workers, sales clerks, private household workers and teachers.
And in 2010? The top five jobs include secretary holding out at No. 1, then cashier, elementary and middle school teacher, nurse and nursing aide.
I have no problem with what job a woman might want to do even if it is the same as it was in the 1950s. the point is. now a woman can do and does a whole lot more jobs now then she was ever allowed to do in the 50s. that is fact.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:00 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,088,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Is that the kind of nonsense they teach in Women's Studies nowadays?
It's the actual truth. Didn't become illegal till the 80s and 90s (to rape your wife).

Old 01-10-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Of course every era has had it's bad spots but overall there were much more positives than negatives back then.
Such as?

Old 01-10-2016, 09:01 PM

18,986 posts, read 8,998,054 times
Quote:
FYI...

The most common job for women is the same as it was in 1950
And yet, despite how different America may seem on so many levels from the 1950s, one thing remains (perhaps surprisingly) the same. The most common job for American women is — drum roll, please — secretary.

In fact, according to the U.S. Census, the top five jobs for women in 2010 changed very little from 1950. Back in the '50s, women most commonly held positions as secretaries, bank tellers or clerical workers, sales clerks, private household workers and teachers.
And in 2010? The top five jobs include secretary holding out at No. 1, then cashier, elementary and middle school teacher, nurse and nursing aide.
And yet, there are also a whole slew of women doctors and lawyers and cops and scientists and engineers, and yes, even astronauts these days. As a child in the '60s, any of those were unheard of. It's not so much about what one chooses to do, it's about having the ability to make that choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies