Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 06:46 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,229,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
So, having a lucrative public employee contract or benefits etc. is a handout?

I personally think it is, but not sure if you are sure you want to make that point.

Obviously, the answer is: It's a case by case basis. I'm sure some employees are getting more than they deserve, and I'm sure some legitimately earn that pay.

It is, however, childish to group everyone in the same boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 07:55 PM

78,364 posts, read 60,556,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Obviously, the answer is: It's a case by case basis. I'm sure some employees are getting more than they deserve, and I'm sure some legitimately earn that pay.

It is, however, childish to group everyone in the same boat.
Does make you question the objectivity though of the public unions that then turn around and give huge huge donations to the politicians that then set their benefits, pensions, pay levels etc.

That's not even getting into the favors and outright bribes.

I worked in Chicago years ago at a consulting firm and a member of a powerful political family worked there.

Everywhere that "consultant" went, suddenly would get work from the CTA, the University Hospitals, Metra and a host of other city\state institutions. It wasn't hard to guess why, they didn't even do any work...they were strictly a "rain maker" with high up connections with decision makers.

Here is a list of the top donors from 2014, just scroll on down. (Just for laughs, scroll down until you spot the NRA...you know the big bad boogeyman that buys soooo much influence. )
https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/list.php

Old 01-11-2016, 08:42 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,074,040 times
Scamming the system. Male and female officers, working in different precincts are dating, eventually marry. Male suffers an injury, one month later, female suffers an injury, both file for disability, both get it. A year later, they file for bankruptcy.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:34 AM

1,377 posts, read 1,053,499 times
NYC Police Pension Fund to probe disabled former cop who runs marathons

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2493664

A case like that is obviously an abuse of what the system is for,” said Councilman Jumaane Williams.

Perhaps he was not "pushed out"

Old 01-12-2016, 08:27 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,476,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBTold2U View Post
NYC Police Pension Fund to probe disabled former cop who runs marathons

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2493664

A case like that is obviously an abuse of what the system is for,” said Councilman Jumaane Williams.

Perhaps he was not "pushed out"
even the article says he was pushed out...if you are forced to retire go on disabilty is is forced out.. the the NYPD MEDICAL BOARD is the ones who made that decision...they could have easily just retired him (he had his 20) which would mean a 50% pension that is taxable...instead of giving hime a 3/4 disability

from the article
Quote:
Christopher DePaolis, 43, spent 20 years in the NYPD, blew out his knee on duty and retired with a disability pension worth more than $82,000 a year in 2013.

and it doesnt matter the LEVEL of the injury
Quote:
Police:

Administrative Code 13-252 states that when "...such member is physically or mentally incapacitated from city-service as a natural and proximate result of an accidental injury received in such city-service, while a member, and that such disability was not the result of willful negligence on the part of such member…” that member is entitled to a lifetime pension benefit equal to 75% of the member's final average salary.

Fire Dept:
Administrative Code 13-353 states that when "...such member is physically or mentally incapacitated from city-service as a natural and proximate result of an accidental injury received in such city-service, while a member, and that such disability was not the result of willful negligence on the part of such member "…that member is entitled to a lifetime pension benefit equal to 75% of the member's final average salary.

Corrections:
NYS Retirement Law 507-c states that a member "…who becomes physically or mentally incapacitated for the performance of duties as the natural and proximate result of an injury, sustained in the performance or discharge of his or her duties by, or as a natural and proximate result of, an act of any inmate..., shall be paid a performance of duty disability retirement allowance equal to three-quarters of final average salary."

Dept of Sanitation:
NYS Retirement Law 605-b states that when a member "...is determined by NYCERS to be physically or mentally incapacitated from performance of duty as a natural and proximate result of an accident, not caused by his or her own willful negligence in the performance of such uniformed sanitation service,.." that member is entitled to a lifetime pension benefit equal to 75% of the member's final average salary.

EMT ¾ Performance-of-Duty Disability
NYS Retirement Law 607-b states, in part, that when a member “… of the New York city employees' retirement system who is employed by the city of New York or by the New York city health and hospital corporation in the position of emergency medical technician or advanced emergency medical technician, as those terms are defined in section three thousand one of the public health law, who, on or after March seventeenth, nineteen hundred ninety-six, becomes physically or mentally incapacitated for the performance of duties as the natural and proximate result of an injury, sustained in the performance or discharge of his or her duties shall be paid a performance of duty disability retirement allowance equal to three-quarters of final average salary, subject to [the provisions of subdivision c of section six hundred five of this article and] section 13-176 of the administrative code of the city of New York…”.

and for non uniformed sstate workers....
Tier IV – Non-uniform Civil Servants
NYS Retirement Law 605 provides that when a member with 10 years or more of service is determined by NYCERS to be physically or mentally incapacitated from performance of gainful employment…and ought to be retired for disability OR when a member with less than 10 years of service is determined by NYCERS to be physically or mentally incapacitated from performance of gainful employment as the natural and proximate result of an accident not caused by his or her own willful negligence sustained in the performance of his or her duties in active service…that member shall be entitled to a lifetime pension.
doesnt sound like abuse...sounds like the NYS law

Old 01-12-2016, 11:36 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,229,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Does make you question the objectivity though of the public unions that then turn around and give huge huge donations to the politicians that then set their benefits, pensions, pay levels etc.

That's not even getting into the favors and outright bribes.

I worked in Chicago years ago at a consulting firm and a member of a powerful political family worked there.

Everywhere that "consultant" went, suddenly would get work from the CTA, the University Hospitals, Metra and a host of other city\state institutions. It wasn't hard to guess why, they didn't even do any work...they were strictly a "rain maker" with high up connections with decision makers.

Here is a list of the top donors from 2014, just scroll on down. (Just for laughs, scroll down until you spot the NRA...you know the big bad boogeyman that buys soooo much influence. )
https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/list.php

Yes, politics is a dirty business. Our system is designed to be corrupted by corrupted people. Most Americans live in a fantasy that our system is great and fair. Many of the practices that we take for granted (like big money campaign contribution) is legal here and illegal in many developed countries. We have a system that is meant to make corruptions legal and many people don't know or don't care.

The NRA's influence goes way beyond monetary contribution. To cite that list that some kind of point that they are not the big bad boogeyman is disingenuous.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:44 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,053,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
even the article says he was pushed out...if you are forced to retire go on disabilty is is forced out.. the the NYPD MEDICAL BOARD is the ones who made that decision...they could have easily just retired him (he had his 20) which would mean a 50% pension that is taxable...instead of giving hime a 3/4 disability

from the article

and it doesnt matter the LEVEL of the injury

doesnt sound like abuse...sounds like the NYS law
You seem not to add the officer's own words after Obama was elected.....whatever

Old 01-12-2016, 12:49 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,442,190 times
Quote:
You seem not to add the officer's own words after Obama was elected.....whatever
His own words mean nothing if he was forced to leave. This lawsuit will go nowhere.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:56 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,476,785 times
Quote:
what does his words mean?? what difference does his words mean??

so in otherwords his statement is:
""f' them, they want to push me out, and give me disability, I will take it, do my recovery, and then drive on to my next adventure...why not everyone else is too""

his words dont change the FACT that it was the MED BOARD that made that determination to give him disability retirement instead of regular retirement...and they followed the LAW
Quote:
Administrative Code 13-252 states that when "...such member is physically or mentally incapacitated from city-service as a natural and proximate result of an accidental injury received in such city-service, while a member, and that such disability was not the result of willful negligence on the part of such member…” that member is entitled to a lifetime pension benefit equal to 75% of the member's final average salary.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:08 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,442,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
what does his words mean?? what difference does his words mean??

so in otherwords his statement is:
""f' them, they want to push me out, and give me disability, I will take it, do my recovery, and then drive on to my next adventure...why not everyone else is too""

his words dont change the FACT that it was the MED BOARD that made that determination to give him disability retirement instead of regular retirement...and they followed the LAW
The poster you are arguing with is the perfect example of a Lefty who got something and doesn't want anyone else to have it. That's what they do, they acquire a privilege then try to slam the door either through the courts or government's iron fist on everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies