Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 08:31 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Yup...the entire school has been tainted by the stain of a few students behaving badly. Reputation matters, and Mizzou's reputation took a big hit. It'll be a while before it recovers what prestige it had.

FWIW, I am a UT-Austin alum. People still bring up Charles Whitman in conversations with me about UT, and that happened well before I was born. This August will make 50 years since he shot and killed 14 people in and from the UT tower.

Not saying that what went down at Mizzou last semester in any way approaches the notoriety of what Whitman did...I'm using it as an example of how a huge news-making event can still color someone's perceptions decades later.
Yeah, I agree. There are some things people don't forget.

This will be the college that had all that "student trouble" for years to come.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:32 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,087,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Calling people "thugs" because they hold different beliefs and have different experiences only makes one look ignorant.
"Hey, can we get some muscle over here?"

Old 01-12-2016, 08:33 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,933,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creator1483 View Post
After racial protests, Missouri sees student app decrease - Business Insider

No surprise. I sure wouldn't want my kids applying there....
Well, I guess that means the university is going to shut down and fire all it's faculty and staff. The state can sell off the buildings.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:50 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,538,917 times
Shut it down for a year. Fire the faculty. Start over again.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:57 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,520,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post

Old 01-12-2016, 08:57 AM

1,431 posts, read 911,971 times
Stupid Mizzou administration. Cater to a few individuals and lose hundreds of thousands of dollars in tuition being paid to the school. You'd think all these college educated people would've seen that coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Lol, pretty much. That professor sounded like a mobster with hired...what's the word...oh yeah, thugs.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:06 AM

16,536 posts, read 8,579,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Calling people "thugs" because they hold different beliefs and have different experiences only makes one look ignorant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
I'm pretty sure they are being called that due to the way they are/were acting. Like screaming in white people's faces while they are pinned to a wall.
Thug might be too strong a word for a non criminal, but whether it be a word like bully or similar, that group used intimidation to try and make their point. Union thugs needn't bust you in the mouth to keep you from crossing the picket line. However just the fear and intimidation was enough to classify them as thugs.

I guess it would come down to whether the students on the receiving end felt that vocal opposition against this group would have resulted in physical harm. If so, then thug might be an appropriate term. I know as a young college student, if a guy got in my face and started shouting at me, he would either back down, or someone would have gotten hurt.

How likely would members of this group backed off if challenged is the question?

`

Old 01-12-2016, 09:07 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,744,104 times
What a sham this Mizzou protest was. The class President (a gay Black man) got elected with only 7% of the students being Black. That's an awful lot of racists who voted for him! The made up story about the KKK being on campus, just a lie he made up and later admitted. The swastika scrawled on the dorm room hallway in feces also a hoax. Never happened. The whole thing was a sham, not one single piece of evidence to support their nonsense.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:27 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Thug might be too strong a word for a non criminal, but whether it be a word like bully or similar, that group used intimidation to try and make their point.
Isn't that what laws with penalties for breaking them do?

Quote:
Union thugs needn't bust you in the mouth to keep you from crossing the picket line. However just the fear and intimidation was enough to classify them as thugs.
"Turn that phone off or I'll take it from you and arrest you".

" Put that cigarette out or I'll drag you from that car".

Old 01-12-2016, 11:36 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,142,906 times
They should told the football players to do as they felt was proper in reference to playing, but with the stipulation that if you boycott a game you lose your scholarship. This was a massive fail in leadership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.