Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 12:09 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
it's called education. let your child be informed on all sides of an issue so they can make up their own minds. what are you afraid of?

New Trier is 84% white and 9% Asian. Many come from the near or actual 1%.

The white guilt thing " explores how guilt can become a roadblock......" .The opposite of encouraging guilt.

MLK is normally a day off of school. Many families plan long weekend ski trips or hit Disney. I suspect some may be miffed that their kids do not get the day off.

Good for this school district to have the guts to expose students to different perceptions.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:12 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
it's called parenting! you want to ban them from reading Catcher in the Rye? protect them from knowledge about all the things you don't like? that's the way to make them well rounded adults. there are parents that think the holocaust wasn't real yet their kids still hear about it in history class. you all just seem to want your kids to be carbon copies of your you truly need the information they will be teaching to make an informed choice on if the class is right or not.

as for the list.....

The Truth about Ferguson: The Investigation into the Death of Michael Brown
Why Do I Have to Feel Guilty for Being White?
Unconscious Perceptions of Race
Mascot or Mockery: Finding Stereotypes in Popular Culture
Disney and the Creation of Racial Identity
Representations of the Middle East: Stereotypes and Islamophobia
Western Bias in Science
Dear Mom and Dad, What (Race) Am I?
What is Your Privilege?
Yer’ A White Wizard, Harry: Whitewashing in Cinema
Intersections: Where Race and Gender Connect
you did an awful lot of keyboard-pounding and still avoided answering the question

who said anything about banning 'catcher in the rye'? you're going all-out strawman on this one.

Quote:
Ferguson and M. Brown there are lots of conflicting stories about it. why would you care if your child knew about all sides of the story? white guilt, mascot or mockery again what is the problem with another perspective and learning about how different people feel about the issues? Disney has created characters that show different races in roles that were once only shown one way. nothing wrong with learning why that change came about. same with the rest of the list.
again - what 'sides of the story' do you expect to be covered here? only a fool would think fair coverage of all sides will be covered here.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:27 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Your parents pulled you from public school so you didn't have to go to school with black people? It seems like they loved you almost as much as they hated some others...

Good grief.
You are probably not old enough or did not live in an area that practiced forced desegregation.
It was not a matter going to school with black people or going to school with white people. It was getting on a bus at 6:00 to take a 2 hour bus ride to and a 2 hr. bus ride back from a different school far far away from your home and neighborhood while the kids from that school/neighborhood did the same. It was a dissolution of community, parental interest and participation and a general burden on all involved for nothing.

As far as the OP, I dont see anything wrong with the topics as long as they are presented in an open and unbiased manner. They actually sound interesting and are reflective of our current environment.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:33 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
it's called education. let your child be informed on all sides of an issue so they can make up their own minds. what are you afraid of?
It's not education, it's social engineering.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:40 PM

170 posts, read 104,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

New Trier is 84% white and 9% Asian. Many come from the near or actual 1%.

The white guilt thing " explores how guilt can become a roadblock......" .The opposite of encouraging guilt.

MLK is normally a day off of school. Many families plan long weekend ski trips or hit Disney. I suspect some may be miffed that their kids do not get the day off.

Good for this school district to have the guts to expose students to different perceptions.
You seriously expect many kids to show up for the hate whitey propaganda show? Mine wouldn't. Doubt many will here as well. I don't care if it is required or not they try and fail my kid I sue

Old 01-12-2016, 12:44 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
you did an awful lot of keyboard-pounding and still avoided answering the question

who said anything about banning 'catcher in the rye'? you're going all-out strawman on this one.

again - what 'sides of the story' do you expect to be covered here? only a fool would think fair coverage of all sides will be covered here.
I did answer the question, I brought Cather in Rye into the discussion, banning info/ banning books amounts to the same thing. give the information to the student let them decide for themselves. conservatives trying to stop young people who are a year away from being an adult from all sides of an issue is counter productive for any kind of critical thinking. again don't like the education your public school has to offer...home school.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:57 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I only see ONE SIDE in that lesson plan.
WTH do you know about it?

Are you some kind of teacher or something?

Old 01-12-2016, 01:02 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
I did answer the question, I brought Cather in Rye into the discussion, banning info/ banning books amounts to the same thing. give the information to the student let them decide for themselves. conservatives trying to stop young people who are a year away from being an adult from all sides of an issue is counter productive for any kind of critical thinking. again don't like the education your public school has to offer...home school.
There isn't 2 sides to the truth. The only thing they can be offering in the Michael Brown thing is lies.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:03 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
no, you utterly failed to answer the questions below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by max340 View Post

Where are the different views in the seminar selection?

Quote:

how many sides will they be exposed to at these particular indoctrination sessions?
banning books has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion, and you know it.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:13 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
no, you utterly failed to answer the questions below:

banning books has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion, and you know it.
the answer to the question is the same I gave in my first post...parent your child, talk to them about their subjects, if you don't like what is being taught, give them your views on the matter.

and yes banning books and not wanting your almost adult child to have all views of a subject is a type of censorship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies