Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2016, 05:27 PM

46,952 posts, read 25,990,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Sooooo to suggest American Sailor's require superior deference in foreign water's is beyond fantastical thinking..especially dealing with ruthless nations.. The mere fact the secured release was done within 24 hours is miraculous given past history between US and Iran!!!!
People who look after such matters have commented on how the incident was played in Iranian media - more "See our ever-vigilant naval units offer assistance on the high seas" and less "Infidel aggressors violating our borders". Some David-Goliath schadenfreude, of course - but no suggestion that the situation was anything but accidental.

Which is interesting. The hardliners in Iran hate the nuclear deal and would love nothing more than an excuse to call it off. If their point of view isn't winning in the state media, there may have been a shift in influence.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:28 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,235,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
There is no controversy except that an American navy vessel was in Iranian waters.
The sailors were rescued by the Iranians and returned home.

Obviously this makes the warmongers unhappy.
LOL! The Iranians didn't "rescue" anyone.

I did 2 tours of duty on the Persian Gulf. I worked with patrol boats and my guess is that these Iranians approached these 2 vessels (for whatever reason, but they routinely approach US vessels). The Lt in charge called in the approach to his local Commander and explained the situation. After 3-4 minutes of discussion off the air the Commander told these guys to stand down and cooperate with the Iranians. The Iranians, seeing that we would not cause a problem, promptly claimed we were in violation of this or that and seized the boats and the crews claiming some violation of international waters, etc... Now they had a political pawn and a huge propaganda coup for their national TV audience.

"Rescue".... that's hilarious!

Old 01-13-2016, 05:29 PM

46,952 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
LOL! The Iranians didn't "rescue" anyone.

I did 2 tours of duty on the Persian Gulf. I worked with patrol boats and my guess is that these Iranians approached these 2 vessels (for whatever reason, but they routinely approach US vessels). The Lt in charge called in the approach to his local Commander and explained the situation. After 3-4 minutes of discussion off the air the Commander told these guys to stand down and cooperate with the Iranians. The Iranians, seeing that we would not cause a problem, promptly claimed we were in violation of this or that and seized the boats and the crews claiming some violation of international waters, etc... Now they had a political pawn and a huge propaganda coup for their national TV audience.

"Rescue".... that's hilarious!
"violation of international waters"?

Old 01-13-2016, 05:31 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I'm not aware of other nations that handed Iran something like $150 billion dollars and other concessions just to get them to do whats right, maybe I'm wrong but you can cite for me some examples..

UK, France, Germany, Russia and China for starters.

The US has about $2 billion of the estimated $100 billion of Iran's money. The rest has been frozen in central banks all over the world.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:33 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Hawks of all colors tend to be opposed to conscription.
Generally only when it involves them or theirs. They're just fine with sending other people and other people's children into wars.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:33 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA Bubbleup View Post
You forgot "hate (prosecute and/ or murder) gays and women"
Iran is a liberal paradise compared to Saudi Arabia, long time US ally.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:37 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
In case you didn't know, when a new president is elected in November, that person sits in on all meetings, etc., and is briefed on what is happening in the country so they will be up to speed when they actually take office in January.

Reagan had plenty of time to come up with a solution, and he did. He gave weapons to Iran in exchange for the hostages.

Kinda embarrassing, huh? No 'strength' needed. "I'll trade ya!"

He did manage to get it up to invade one of our most threatening dire enemies, though...Granada. LOL
Why is it embarrassing to not be deceptive and manipulative, while pretending to be ole' honest Abe?

Old 01-13-2016, 05:39 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
People who look after such matters have commented on how the incident was played in Iranian media - more "See our ever-vigilant naval units offer assistance on the high seas" and less "Infidel aggressors violating our borders". Some David-Goliath schadenfreude, of course - but no suggestion that the situation was anything but accidental.

Which is interesting. The hardliners in Iran hate the nuclear deal and would love nothing more than an excuse to call it off. If their point of view isn't winning in the state media, there may have been a shift in influence.
There's is nothing to suggest it WAS anything but accidental ..so willing to bet the debriefing and investigation will get to the bottom of what really happened..however..Iran will suggest thru their Gov't media controlled sites to portray whatever makes them appear +...

If 10 lives get returned to US safe zone..I say Applaud applaud!! Without any venue to to negotiate such a return...Would no doubt become like the British detainment by Iran years ago!!

Iran detains five British sailors | World news | The Guardian

Old 01-13-2016, 05:40 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Yes.

Reagan gave Iran weapons in return for hostages. Perhaps not the best example.

As for Bush, well - remember the Hainan island incident? "Please give us our airmen - and perhaps also the plane? - back" was exactly the GWB administration reaction. Of course, the Chinese strung them along for 10 days before returning the airmen, several months before returning the aircraft (in pieces) and the GWB administration obligingly paid $34,000 for the cost of feeding and housing the crew in China. That enough of an indicator?

(Incidentally, how do you guys imagine it would look if an Iranian navy vessel was encountered in US waters? Friendly handshakes?)
I thought I must be the only person to remember the plane incident. I mean that went on so long that I didn't think we would ever get that plane back.

But that was different.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:42 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
I am so glad adults were in charge instead of the children that Conservatives have become. No telling what would have happened if Trump or Cruz would have been in charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies