Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 11:23 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Prove it.

They pretty much confess it by calculating thigns like salaries and VA costs, but you didnt read beyond the headlines..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 11:25 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The biggest problem for the Democrats is they are assume that demographic change means they will win no matter what. How long can Democrats win both groups while their lives are no better? BLM is largely about poor Blacks being frustrated that too little has changed under Obama. Hispanic Liberals are frustrated that Obama has deported more illegal immigrants than any president in history and is planning more roundups. Twitter backlashed against Hillary for her "I'm like your abuela (Spanish for grandmother) mishap.

What happens when the Republican Party becomes Millennial centric and isn't against global warming, gay marriage, and the xenophobic elements aren't there? The core values of Conservatism don't conflict with things Millennials believe in. I think most of us understand that good behavior should be rewarded and that govt shouldn't enable bad decisions. The problem is there are too many Rush Limbaughs and too few intellectual conservatives. In the future I think you will see Republicans who aren't viewed as toxic by young people and non Whites and come up with small govt solutions to the problems we all agree on.

I'm an older Millennial, born into a devout evangelic Republican household. After the Iraq War I became a reliable Democrat voter. I'm now on the fence. I worry about the younger Millennials who want no consequences for their actions and think everything in life should be free. But I also dislike the Party of Stupid element that's so strong in Republicans: anti science, anti any environmental regulation, xenophobic (real racism, not just anti over the top political correctness), obsessed with gays and abortion, unwilling to consider logical gun control measures that the 2A allows ("well regulated"), etc.
Which of the current parties do you think is more open to change?

Personally, I doubt that the Rs will "....become(s) Millennial centric and isn't against global warming, gay marriage, and the xenophobic elements" anytime soon. Certainly not before the end of this boomer's life.

Yes, Rs will change, because, as you note, they'll have to. Ds will change before they have to, because they are not looking back to some mythical time when the US was perfect.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:26 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You seem to not understand what the word context means or you are trolling.

He was talking about the entirety of the Bush Presidency, not that specific year. Him saying that in 2008 and not 2001 or 2 does not change the context. President Bush had a surplus, the CBO projected balanced budgets for the next 8 years, he choose to enact tax cuts and not only did they create deficits, revenue continued to drop, meaning the projected deficits then grew as well.

To parrot you, you are above that.

Further more, are you arguing that one of President Obama's policies led to larger deficits, if so , which one ?
Obama said July 3rd 2008 right in the middle of the crashed economy that deficits were unpatriotic..

You can try to make excuses and move the goal post, but that doesnt make your response or his actions valid.

p.s. There was NOT a surplus, debt increased every single year.. There were projected surpluses, if the economy continued to grow but that didnt happen after 911..

There was a public surplus, but that ignores the BORROWING that was needed for intragovernmental budgets, and one thing a 10 year old can tell you, if you borrow, its no surplus...

Old 01-13-2016, 11:28 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post

Personally, I doubt that the Rs will "....become(s) Millennial centric and isn't against global warming, gay marriage, and the xenophobic elements" anytime soon. Certainly not before the end of this boomer's life.

Yes, Rs will change, because, as you note, they'll have to. Ds will change before they have to, because they are not looking back to some mythical time when the US was perfect.

So they're not looking back in time using history so we don't repeat it, they're looking into a future they can't possibly see while not knowing the past (you said it) so they repeat it. Facts and history be damned, they have dreams, fantasy and make believe posting their ideas.

You just can't make up some of the bs you guys spew out.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
So they're not looking back in time using history so we don't repeat it, they're looking into a future they can't possibly see while not knowing the past (you said it) so they repeat it. Facts and history be damned, they have dreams, fantasy and make believe posting their ideas.

You just can't make up some of the bs you guys spew out.

"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."

Henry David Thoreau

Read more at If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they... - Henry David Thoreau at BrainyQuote

And -

"George Bernard Shaw once wrote, "Some people see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say, why not?" - Robert Kennedy

http://www.jfklibrary.org/Research/R...h-18-1968.aspx

Last edited by jacqueg; 01-13-2016 at 11:50 AM..

Old 01-13-2016, 11:39 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
They pretty much confess it by calculating thigns like salaries and VA costs, but you didnt read beyond the headlines..

Still haven't proved a thing.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."

Henry David Thoreau

Read more at If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they... - Henry David Thoreau at BrainyQuote

And -

"George Bernard Shaw once wrote, "Some people see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say, why not?" - Robert Kennedy

Robert F. Kennedy Speeches - John F. Kennedy Presidential Library & Museum
Womanizers, anarchists and eugenicists... Man, you guys are on the forefront of space-time...

It's all about human rights, huh?

Old 01-13-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Womanizers, anarchists and eugenicists... Man, you guys are on the forefront of space-time...

It's all about human rights, huh?
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

That's the first reason listed to justify the separation of the US from Great Britain. I haven't forgotten it. Sorry you have.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:07 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
Quote:

Democrats may keep winning by default if Republicans don't change but at some point either Democrats face third party competition (remember Nader dooming Gore?) or R's actually change out of necessity. There is change by some Republicans. Rand Paul talks more about police brutality than Hillary. Libertarian types are condemning the war on drugs and seeking to reinstate felon voting rights.

There are two definitions of conservative.
1 - someone who believes in the system of govt the founders established and the constitution requires.
2 - someone who is afraid of change

The problem is that the GOP went after #2 types (low IQ rural Whites). The GOP is now the party of people terrified of fluorescent light bulbs, race mixing, and electric cars. The hard core stance against gay marriage and the environment alienated many people who might otherwise be Republican. I work with many Millennials who would consider voting for a Republican if not for their low IQ / angry tone and their stance on those issues. What if it was the party of people worried about a Black woman unconstitutionally jailed for 3 days over a minor traffic violation or police shooting an unarmed Black man 12 times in 15 seconds? What if we got govt out of marriage and let individuals live their own lives?

Old 01-13-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

That's the first reason listed to justify the separation of the US from Great Britain. I haven't forgotten it. Sorry you have.
WTF does that have to do with the price or rice in China?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies