Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2016, 06:06 PM

17,791 posts, read 13,682,006 times

Advertisements

Here in Oklahoma, the state is starting to inspect the wastewater disposal wells and is fining the oil companies now if the state feels if the disposal wells do not pass whatever standards they have set (in regards to causing earthquakes).

Pretty much even the staunch conservatives are now begrudgingly willing to admit that these quakes are due to the disposal wells. Mostly because there weren't any of these quakes until the last oil boom started with the horizontal drilling circa 2008 in these shale plays.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 06:38 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So, basically what you are saying is yes, fracking does cause earthquakes.
What I'm saying is injecting wastewater into the ground for disposal has been linked to earthquakes. This does not have anything to do with the extraction process or fracking as it is commonly called. There are other solutions for the management of the wastewater and the industry will need to come up with a solution. If I were to guess recycling it will be at the top of the list in particular in areas where the availability of fresh water is a concern.

Old 01-17-2016, 06:49 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
What I'm saying is injecting wastewater into the ground for disposal has been linked to earthquakes. This does not have anything to do with the extraction process or fracking as it is commonly called. There are other solutions for the management of the wastewater and the industry will need to come up with a solution. If I were to guess recycling it will be at the top of the list in particular in areas where the availability of fresh water is a concern.
That is a process of fracking....so thus fracking is at fault for this. Obviously things could change, like not injecting wastewater into the ground when fracking.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:38 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That is a process of fracking....
In the same sense burning gasoline in large pits was also a process of refining kerosene when they first started refining oil. It's not a necessary process for the extraction of gas, they are already recycling this water or using other means of disposal in some areas. It's a minor hurdle that will be overcome by some other means, in addition to the earthquake concerns it's also a very large expense because it has to be transported from the gas well to the disposal well. As I said recycling in particular where fresh water availability is a concern is going to top the list. It's entirely possible they may even make it profitable as industry so often does with the waste they generate such as the gasoline example.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:17 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
YES it does. Only a fool would think otherwise and they are in no short supply.

When I was a kid this very subject was hotly debated.

Turns out it was just a sucky b-movie...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_NqGsH4hAA

Old 01-17-2016, 08:21 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
In the same sense burning gasoline in large pits was also a process of refining kerosene when they first started refining oil. It's not a necessary process for the extraction of gas, they are already recycling this water or using other means of disposal in some areas. It's a minor hurdle that will be overcome by some other means, in addition to the earthquake concerns it's also a very large expense because it has to be transported from the gas well to the disposal well. As I said recycling in particular where fresh water availability is a concern is going to top the list. It's entirely possible they may even make it profitable as industry so often does with the waste they generate such as the gasoline example.
But it is a part of the current process of fracking....

Old 01-17-2016, 08:23 PM

7,501 posts, read 5,749,500 times
I firmly believe it does. I also want to know what fracking mud is made of! What are they pumping into the earth?

Old 01-17-2016, 08:52 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,729,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
I firmly believe it does. I also want to know what fracking mud is made of! What are they pumping into the earth?

A lot of nasty chemicals

Old 01-17-2016, 09:00 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
all they are 'injecting' is water

Petroleum engineers have used fracking as a means of increasing well production since the late 1940s. Fractures can also exist naturally in formations, and both natural and man-made fractures can be widened by fracking. As a result, more oil and gas can be extracted from a given area of land.

every oil well 'injects' water.....

and they 'can' use salt water....which would be good with the world ending sealevel rise

the water they are 'injecting' ...water and sand

Old 01-17-2016, 09:19 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,729,004 times
Quote:

https://fracfocus.org/chemical-use/w...icals-are-used
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies