Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 06:10 PM

409 posts, read 258,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Meanwhile, back on planet earth, a silver plan costs 3.6% more than in 2015, before tax credits. After tax credits, the number is actually -0.7%.

Analysis of 2016 Premium Changes in the Affordable Care Act

Overall premium increases are the lowest they've been in years (3.75% for 2015, 2.4% for 2014).

Premium growth averaged 8.42% per year during Bush's presidency. Compare that to 4.16% for Obama.
Without comparisons to deductibles and out of pocket costs this information is meaningless. Which would you rather have, $200 premiums and a $2,000 deductible, or $150 premiums and a $6,000 deductible?

The true cost of Obamacare isn't in the premiums, its in the deductible.

Families USA: Forgoing health care because of high out-of-pocket costs

Millions of people spending thousands of dollars for health insurance they can't afford to use. Obamacare!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 06:13 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,506,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Go read the title, and no its not about your coworkers, the title doesnt say "my coworkers". its misleading, and intentionally so. Its nonsense.

And if you do not like the ACA, might I suggest you ask your congress critters to suggest a replacement? Cause right now the ACA is why millions of people even have medical care at the moment. To put it into perspective, its estimated to have saved 50,000 lives. Thats a lot more then we lost on 9/11, and the resulting wars. Repeal and "think of some sort of replacement someday" is idiocy.

Is the ACA the best way to do this? Absolutely not. The entire developed world has shown us hwo to do this better, with single payer. But the greed of the healthcare companies is preventing that pretty well. Maybe you should be concerned that your government is doing things in a substandard way because we've allowed money to influence it too much.
Health Care went up. Its not misleading.

Old 01-17-2016, 06:21 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Health Care went up. Its not misleading.
Claiming 30% is in fact misleading. I'm sorry you cannot comprehend that.

Old 01-17-2016, 06:21 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshGL View Post
Without comparisons to deductibles and out of pocket costs this information is meaningless. Which would you rather have, $200 premiums and a $2,000 deductible, or $150 premiums and a $6,000 deductible?

The true cost of Obamacare isn't in the premiums, its in the deductible.

Families USA: Forgoing health care because of high out-of-pocket costs

Millions of people spending thousands of dollars for health insurance they can't afford to use. Obamacare!
Deductibles have also been seeing a steady increase for a long time.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/23/bu...inds.html?_r=0

Surely you can point to the sudden uptick on the chart when Obamacare went into effect...

Old 01-17-2016, 06:23 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,697,519 times
I've had health insurance for many years. The cost has always gone up, every year. It went up this year, but not anywhere near 30%. Plus, I now have a choice of 'insured plus one' instead of family, which saves me a whopping $6.00 a month. On the other hand, my deductible on drugs has gone up a lot - which has more to do with drug companies than with Obamacare.

Old 01-17-2016, 06:53 PM

19,822 posts, read 12,086,768 times
The monthly premium for me to be able to keep my doctors is a little over $1,000 month. A bronze, or even the lowest silver plan as is used in the link, is pretty much useless with the sky high deductible and limited doctors.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:07 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Time for a National Healthcare system (Medicare for everyone) with price controls. Thank you for driving that point home.

Medicare keeps costs down

LOL, that would be an even bigger joke than Osamacare!

Old 01-17-2016, 07:58 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
I'm self employed. How did myself raise my premiums? I guess I should ask myself that question, hang on...

Myself just responded and said they did not increase my premium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That is the joy of being self employed. I am sure if you were self employed before ACA, I am sure this isn't the first time you saw your premiums go up.

What does that have to do with this:

Quote:
Actually your employer is causing the rates to rise by increasing your rates.
I'm self employed too. Before ACA insurance premiums would go up year #2 if we stayed with the same insurance company. So we changed insurance companies every year - sometimes the premiums were around the same, sometimes there was a small increase. When Obamacare went in to force we couldn't find anything CLOSE to what we were paying so our monthly premiums increased from a total of $900/month to what we are paying now @ $1550/month.

Same type of coverage before Obamacare: no vision and no dental other than what the kids have under Obamacare for preventative dental care…..which did not cost $7800 a year out of pocket.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:59 PM

7,074 posts, read 8,934,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Claiming 30% is in fact misleading. I'm sorry you cannot comprehend that.
Correct.

Last year I paid $271/mo. for a silver plan, this year I am paying $377/mo. for a bronze plan so it's 40% more and I am getting less. My deductible is so high that any medical care I would get would be out of pocket, money I don't have because I am paying so much for insurance. I just won't be going to the doctor.

My car has better insurance than I do and my dogs get better medical care.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:24 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
What does that have to do with this:

I'm self employed too. Before ACA insurance premiums would go up year #2 if we stayed with the same insurance company. So we changed insurance companies every year - sometimes the premiums were around the same, sometimes there was a small increase. When Obamacare went in to force we couldn't find anything CLOSE to what we were paying so our monthly premiums increased from a total of $900/month to what we are paying now @ $1550/month.

Same type of coverage before Obamacare: no vision and no dental other than what the kids have under Obamacare for preventative dental care…..which did not cost $7800 a year out of pocket.
Guess you need to look for a better insurance company if they are raising your premiums too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies