Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 08:21 AM

10,821 posts, read 14,890,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Things have gotten out of hand. I am not against a small gain from investment, but things have gone way too far.
It would be possible to cap such gains, stop excessive speculation etc. if it happened on a global basis via one of those global trade or UN organizations.

Indeed, that is why I am saying there should be clear global laws without exception. Make companies pay full taxes locally wherever they earn money. No loopholes, no nationalist egoism, etc. So immoral acts would turn into crimes, which could be punished.
To have a world ruled according to you?

//Sarcasm On

But I agree with you, people have to much money.

Take yourself for example; are you in the worlds top 1% because I got a feeling if you're in America you are.

Ranking by Income
Quote:
According to the Global Rich List, a website that brings awareness to worldwide income disparities, an income of $32,400 a year will allow you to make the cut. Using current exchange rates, that amounts to roughly:
If you earn more than $32,400 in a year then you are an enemy of the Peoples Proletariat and I am sure you would agree that everything you make over that amount should be surrendered so as you are not an enemy of the peoples.

/Sarcasm Off

Old 01-18-2016, 08:23 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,048,946 times
Quote:
Of course there will always be differences between humans, but if you are defending the current absurd state of the world, you are nuts.
You don't think in the current absurd state of the world most humans are better off than they were 40 years ago, 100 years ago?

Old 01-18-2016, 08:34 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,540,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
You don't think in the current absurd state of the world most humans are better off than they were 40 years ago, 100 years ago?
This.

Most people are missing this fact.

Poor are getting a bargain today.

They drive Civics and have iphones, PC and big TVs

Even minimum wage workers are doing so great.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:34 AM

25,956 posts, read 24,659,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
To have a world ruled according to you?

//Sarcasm On

But I agree with you, people have to much money.

Take yourself for example; are you in the worlds top 1% because I got a feeling if you're in America you are.

Ranking by Income

If you earn more than $32,400 in a year then you are an enemy of the Peoples Proletariat and I am sure you would agree that everything you make over that amount should be surrendered so as you are not an enemy of the peoples.

/Sarcasm Off
No, I earn much less than that, not even half, and it is enough. I could work more, but I would take work away from others that way without my needing more money. It is better for two people to have humble incomes than for one to have a big income and the other none at all.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:36 AM

25,956 posts, read 24,659,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
This.

Most people are missing this fact.

Poor are getting a bargain today.

They drive Civics and have iphones, PC and big TVs

Even minimum wage workers are doing so great.
We are talking about the poorer half of the world population, they certainly don't have anything you listed there. You are talking about the relatively poor in industrialized countries. What Oxfam talks about is Niger-style poverty.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:41 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,719,691 times
Quote:
I simply have a very different mindset. That whole "earn as much as you possible can" approach is so not me.
I don't mind modestly rich people, i.e. normal millionaires who really work for it. They are not the problem. I am against the filthy rich and even more against the system which allows them to become that rich in the first place.

Yes, we do give aid to poor countries, but at the same time we hurt them even more. There are studies that say that we actually extract more money from Africa than we pay her. We pretend to help and be generous, while in reality we benefit more than we help.
The EU for instance has various policies in place that really hurt Africa, for instance in terms of agriculture.

I speak mostly about Africa because that is certainly the most problematic continent.
i was with you on the bolded part, but after that....

not so much. i dont want a world ruled by the likes of you. i dont want competition stifled because you dont think people should work to become as rich as they want. i dont want innovation stifled for the same reason. sorry but your ideas just dont work.

as for africa, and their agricultural issues, you do realize that is a product of african governments right? back in the late 80s and early 90s, the african governments were taking farmland away from those that knew how to produce crops, just because the farmers were white, and gave that land to black people to farm, even though they had no idea what they were doing.

on top of that the african governments got greed and wanted the europeans money, so they sold the crops that were produced to the europeans rather than selling it in their own domestic markets.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:42 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,906,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
why do you and others care so much what other people own? they went out and EARNED their wealth. if you want to be wealthy, then you go out and EARN it yourself. if others want to be wealthy they can go out and EARN the money. do yourself a favor and stop stressing about what other people do, and take care of your own.
Everything you wrote is undercut by this article by Nobel Prize winning economist Joseph Stiglitz.

Of the 1%, by the 1%, for the 1% | Vanity Fair

Specifically:

Quote:
So what if this person gains and that person loses? What matters, they argue, is not how the pie is divided but the size of the pie. That argument is fundamentally wrong. An economy in which most citizens are doing worse year after year—an economy like America’s—is not likely to do well over the long haul.
In a nutshell, this theory [marginal-productivity theory] associated higher incomes with higher productivity and a greater contribution to society. It is a theory that has always been cherished by the rich. Evidence for its validity, however, remains thin. The corporate executives who helped bring on the recession of the past three years—whose contribution to our society, and to their own companies, has been massively negative—went on to receive large bonuses.
Lastly,
Quote:
growing inequality is the flip side of something else: shrinking opportunity. Whenever we diminish equality of opportunity, it means that we are not using some of our most valuable assets—our people—in the most productive way possible. Second, many of the distortions that lead to inequality—such as those associated with monopoly power and preferential tax treatment for special interests—undermine the efficiency of the economy. This new inequality goes on to create new distortions, undermining efficiency even further. To give just one example, far too many of our most talented young people, seeing the astronomical rewards, have gone into finance rather than into fields that would lead to a more productive and healthy economy.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:44 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,719,691 times
Quote:
We are talking about the poorer half of the world population, they certainly don't have anything you listed there. You are talking about the relatively poor in industrialized countries. What Oxfam talks about is Niger-style poverty.
and whose fault is that? the african countries had just as much opportunity to develop and any other nation in the world, and yet they failed to do so. their governments got greedy, and prevented, by their own actions, companies from other countries coming in and developing their countries for them. its a problem of their own making.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Everything you wrote is undercut by this article by Nobel Prize winning economist Joseph Stiglitz.

Of the 1%, by the 1%, for the 1% | Vanity Fair

Specifically:

Lastly,
I wonder how much wealth he has?

Old 01-18-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
and whose fault is that? the african countries had just as much opportunity to develop and any other nation in the world, and yet they failed to do so. their governments got greedy, and prevented, by their own actions, companies from other countries coming in and developing their countries for them. its a problem of their own making.
No if the Walton family was not rich and the US government had taken most of their money it would have been fairly redistributed to the poor in Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies