Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 11:16 AM

5,701 posts, read 3,223,098 times

Advertisements

Great article everyone should read:

Obama Administration Makes Unverifiable Claim of 545,000 IT Job Openings; H-1B Visa Boosting Likely Culprit | naked capitalism

Quote:
I cant tell you how many job postings I read that said things like you need 5 years experience with X,Y, and Z…. only problem is Y and Z have only been out for 2 years and 4 years respectively.

Some of that is cluelessness in HR departments. (I recall a time where the jobs adds were filled with posts for entry level sysadmins, which demanded enough years of Unix experience that only Ken Thompson, Dennis Ritchie, M. D. McIlroy, and J. F. Ossanna MIGHT qualify. B-) )

But some of it is part of the “hire a cheap H-1B” game. By making the requirements impossible (or rejecting all but a handfull of people who already receive astronomical fees on the consulting market), they can claim that “There are no available US citizens quaified for the post.” Then they hire an H-1B.

Of course the H1B doesn’t have the qualifications, either. But his resume is inflated (typically by his recruiting firm, without his knowledge or approval).

The employer knows the game, and isn’t expecting the claimed skills to be present – just enough skill to do the actual job. But a citizen who similarly inflated his resume would be in serious trouble as a result.

The boss gets his cheap laborer, the H-1B gets his job and visa, the recruiter gets his fee. Everybody is happy except the rejected US candidates.

So who checks for fraud? The boss is happy. The rejected candidates are in no position to investigate or initiate a claim. The government is not interested. (The boss’ company is a big political contributor.) Nobody else has standing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 11:45 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
Default Obama's War On the Middle Class

I was going to post in a separate thread but really this is all part of the same disaster Obama's wreaked on our economy.

First up is Salena Zito, a writer for the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review and one of the savviest chroniclers of the middle class writing today. She calls out Obama for the lies he told about the economy during his SOTU address with backup from factcheck.org, and then goes on to describe the source of much of the discontent in middle class America today -

"In the Obama economy, wages have not improved; in fact, they have created great unease and not inspired the confidence Americans once had in work — which is why the president has responded by pushing higher wages for service jobs once meant to be temporary bridges from high school and college to adult life."

Obama Sired America's Discontent | RealClearPolitics

And we all know the statistics for black unemployment, especially teenagers, but women over 50 are also cruelly impacted by the Obama economy. From PBS - "If you’re a woman over the age of 50, finding work has statistically gotten harder since 2008."

Why women over 50 can't find jobs | PBS NewsHour

There's a good reason Trump's positive message on the economy is resonating with Americans today...we're sick of living like this under Obama and the Democrats.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:50 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,316,554 times
It's a disaster because it's supposed to be.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:55 AM

658 posts, read 1,143,361 times

This was happening before Obama, and will be happening long after Obama. It is part of our crony corporate culture.

If it's really the WORST thing about the economy under his watch, he's certainly done pretty well.

BTW, when did it become Human Resources? I don't remember the transition from "Personnel".
Really shows the value of the employees, eh? Around 85 to 95 or so?

Old 01-18-2016, 11:59 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
If you really want to discuss this topic, I could do that. I've been following H-1b Visas for nearly 15 years now, and its existence played a major role in my educational and career decisions.

But from what I can tell, you are not interested in the facts about the H-1B. You seem to be playing standard partisan politics : trying to make this about Obama, when it clearly isn't.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:20 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaderOCola View Post
This was happening before Obama, and will be happening long after Obama. It is part of our crony corporate culture.

If it's really the WORST thing about the economy under his watch, he's certainly done pretty well.
It's not the worse thing. It's pretty bad but not the worse.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:21 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
If you really want to discuss this topic, I could do that. I've been following H-1b Visas for nearly 15 years now, and its existence played a major role in my educational and career decisions.

But from what I can tell, you are not interested in the facts about the H-1B. You seem to be playing standard partisan politics : trying to make this about Obama, when it clearly isn't.
It's most certainly in part about Obama.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:30 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's most certainly in part about Obama.
The original program was signed into law by George H.W. Bush, and was supported by all presidents since then : Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, and Obama. They all bear equal responsibility in my view, in the sense that they didn't think too hard about it. They all just went along with what they were told by economics experts: that the H-1b is skilled immigration, and that skilled immigration boosts the economy.

Congress is the proximate reason the program exists, in that they were the ones who intentionally designed the program to be defective and harmful. They were the scumbags who took a relatively benign concept (skilled immigration) and turned it into a hostile replacement of the American worker (non-immigrant temporary visas with suppressed wages.)

An important third group responsible for all of this, in my opinion, are mainstream economists. They did not properly understand the difference between policy as it existed in their minds, and the legislation as it was written. In fact they STILL talk about H-1B as "skilled immigration," when it is very explicitly a non-immigrant visa. They talk about "immigrant entrepreneurs," when the H-1B doesn't allow its visa holders to start their own firms.

Last edited by le roi; 01-18-2016 at 12:42 PM..

Old 01-18-2016, 12:39 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
Get rid of H1Bs for 5 years and see what happens.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:49 PM

17,585 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Get rid of H1Bs for 5 years and see what happens.
I freely admit I know very little about H1Bs because they were not prevalent in my profession.

What I think I know is that if these visas are not issued, countries like Canada will benefit because of the work pool.

Now, someone here who is informed regarding H1Bs, please explain it in words that even I can understand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies