Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 02:06 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times

Advertisements

Permanent Income Inequality is a result of a carefully designed system that protects them that has from the competition of smart people from them that are never supposed to have. It is not the disparity of income but the lack of opportunity. In our system a stupid kid from a really wealthy family can live as a stupid wealthy adult on guaranteed handouts (annuity brat) from his family. He never needed an opportunity to succeed because he already crossed home plate when he was born. The wealthy protect this privilege nearly as passionately as they protect their access to tax shelters and insider deals that build and protect their wealth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 02:08 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Check your history:

Off the rop of my head, in no particular order:

Lockheed
Chrysler
Penn Central RR
Contrail
Airlines
An assortment of banks
And the mother of them all, the S&L crisis brought on by deregulation and speculation.

Some paid back with interest and some did not.
All happened after I was past puberty.

Old 01-18-2016, 02:20 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Actually income inequality is very natural.

There was a rule of thumb or empirical law stating in almost every system 80% of resources are used by 20%.

Something like that i don't remember now, but it is legit.

Damn i wish i could remember
80/20 Rule.

For example back when the US economy was agriculture based, 80 % of the people engaged in farming to produce an excess to feed the 20%.

Old 01-18-2016, 02:28 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
OK, here it goes. Rant starts now!

What the Hell is wrong with income inequality?

When I grew up, you went to college, got a job, and moved up if you merited moving up. If you were a slacker you slung burgers at MickeyDs. If you couldn't go to college you started at the bottom of a manufacturing hierarchy and then worked to move up. If you were a slacker, you slung burgers at MickyDs or worked as a janitor or maid'

Rant over
I agree with what you say. There is a reason flipping burgers does not pay the same as Power plant worker or such and that's the way it should be If you are motivated you can do much better than minimum wage, if not then that is your problem.

Old 01-18-2016, 02:28 PM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
BERNIE HAS NO VISION

Forget "income equality"
Let's have "wealth equality"

As elected Digtater of Amerika, I would give each person 22 billion billion quatloos (a substantial fortune, one quatloo buys one ounce of gold- by decree) in their account. Everyone is equally wealthy. No one “needs money” ever again.

What happens if no one makes the effort to farm, mine, manufacture, ship and trade surplus usable goods and services? What happens if no one will sell because no one “needs money”?

All that money is worthless, useless and meaningless if the marketplace is bare and/or no one wants the money.

So “wealth equality” does nothing to end poverty, which everyone believes is due to lack of money. And if no one will bother to work, civilization collapses.

WE DON'T CARE - GIVE US FREEBIES !!!

(Best government that money can buy, with perfidy and bribery for all!)

Old 01-18-2016, 02:31 PM

17,577 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
This is so... mid-20th century... I agree with it, but it is old school stuff these days.
i know, isn't it a shame that the Millennials still want to live in their old room ( or basement) of mommy and daddy's house with mommy and daddy still picking up after them and paying their way while their retirement funds goes down the pooper?

Old 01-18-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Don't forget to look at all of the poor people from places like Asia that came here and made it within a generation or two.
look at the Vietmanese who came here in the 70s-80s and are extremely successful today. They work hard!

Old 01-18-2016, 02:35 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
OK, here it goes. Rant starts now!

What the Hell is wrong with income inequality?

When I grew up, you went to college, got a job, and moved up if you merited moving up. If you were a slacker you slung burgers at MickeyDs. If you couldn't go to college you started at the bottom of a manufacturing hierarchy and then worked to move up. If you were a slacker, you slung burgers at MickyDs or worked as a janitor or maid'

What the Hell is wrong with paying, earning saving wealth according to your merits? Why should I be taxed more to cover slackers! Why does everyone want their fricken hands in my pockets in order to equalize someone else's lack of money?

Everyone of us started out the same. We were infants. My parents didn't have a pot to **** in. I inherited nothing. I worked from the time I was 9 or 10 cutting grass and shovelling snow. I worked myself through college. I worked to give my kids more than my parents could ever give me. (We had nothing, but we didn't know it- We always had something to eat and we found ways of entertaining ourselves)

If my kids make it, great. They are on their own. The bank of mike1003 closed down after college and their marriages. If MrsM and I die the day our money runs out, that's OK with us and our kids. We made sure that they graduated college with zero debt.

If we die with a pile of cash in the bank, it's theirs. And they are OK with that also!

I have friends of all races that worked and earned their degrees like me.

I have friends from single mother and single father homes that struggled as hard, or harder than me. Many are much more well off that MrsM and I. And, their children are in a Hell of a lot better shape than mine. THAT'S GREAT!!

I have close friends of every race, religion and sexual orientation that struggled and made it like we have. Friends of single parents that came from nothing to success in one generation. And, for the most part, their kids are doing better than they did.

It is every parent's dream for our children to make a better lif for themselves than we had ourselves.

Look at Ben Carson, he wont be president, but his mother sure helped mold a great man and surgeon!

So, dont give me crap about the underprivileged never having a chance and I that should be happy to give them my money! Don't try to take my hard earned and merited money to give to someone else. I pay my tax, it is not a sin

Every city offers schools for disadvantaged kids. The have the samd chance as Ben Carson and I had.

And, while I am on a rant, dont give me crap about illegal aliens. My Grand-parents fled from the pogroms of Eastern Europe. Many family members survived the horrors of Nazi Germany. They learned English and gladly became citizend of this great country. (Oh,BTW, they came one at a time. My uncle first, he worked to bring in his brother and they worked to bring in another brother, etc. until their whole family was here

I am strongly in favor of immigration, BUT I WANT LEGAL IMMIGRANTS!! The LEGAL immigrants deserve everything the United States of America can offer. But, they must com here legally, find employment and become citizens. Then, they have the same abilities to find an education, jobs and merited raises.

So, blast away at me if you want. But that's how I feel. I am sick and tired of this crap and wont take it any more!

Rant over
how you get the tuition? can you compare the price for your college to what it is now? rem salary is the same- as it was when??
there are some people just hit all the street lights perfectly and can GO!- my sis and bro went to college I took care of MOM- I struggled and my determination got me where I am today- but worked 2 jobs to do it- see you don't want to hear of the obstacles that happen to many- sickness divorce death- lay offs- yes--FEW looking for free - but most just want fair - and if all the economist can say IT IS NO LONGER fair why are you arguing the facts?

Old 01-18-2016, 02:36 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I agree with what you say. There is a reason flipping burgers does not pay the same as Power plant worker or such and that's the way it should be If you are motivated you can do much better than minimum wage, if not then that is your problem.
What I can't do though is start a business, run it poorly have it fail and then have the government make sure I'm put in an even better place.

Why is it that those like yourself want to ignore this? The minimum wage worker would not be as far behind if the government had allowed those who failed to fail. There would be less of a need to increase minimum wage.

Old 01-18-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
There's nothing wrong with income inequality. There's quite a lot wrong with oligarchy and feudalism.

Henry Ford, a man who knew a thing or two about capitalism, made sure that his workers earned enough money that they could afford to buy their own product. Nothing terrible happened to the economy.
Yeppers, but our high taxes and unions drove most of our manufacturing out of the US

Think about this, if Pearl Harbor and WWll occurred today, could we turn out 1 B-17 a day or rebuild our navy? I think not, everything is offshore!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies