Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 05:49 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times

Advertisements

If you think of the political clout that is spent, and I say wasted, fretting over the Syrian refugees, as well as those that flooded across our border last year.
600,000 Americans are in the streets, braving the weather. Last night we heard from the democrats running for office how we are a compassionate people. That we must help the refugees. Yet I don't recall them mentioning our 50,000+ homeless vets or the 550,000 other homeless.
I feel that charity starts at home first. How can we justify taking in thousands of refugees, giving them a life, providing them shelter and all the while turn a blind eye to our own in need?
The GOP talks about needing to build a fence. Needing to get illegal immigration under control. They talk about building businesses. Never a word about our homeless.
I believe neither party cares because their is no political hay to be made. The homeless are an embarrassing fact that both seem happy to ignore.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-18-2016 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: discuss the topic, not other posters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 05:52 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
So you're ticked off over how your mugger spends your money and want us to pick a side.

Sounds productive.

Old 01-18-2016, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
So you're ticked off over how your mugger spends your money and want us to pick a side.

Sounds productive.
No not at all. My point is that we have a homeless problem, a big one. Why is our President more focused on the plight of Syrian refugees than on our own needy?
Why are those running for office not concerned about it?
Why are those who claim to be for the poor so focused on the Syrian refugee issue?
Because our homeless account for few votes and don't matter to either party.
600,000 votes across 50 states just don't matter.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:38 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Never underestimate the homeless!

Hitler was homeless for years in Vienna, almost died on the streets one winter!

But I agree, it's not just the homeless who need help, it's all those families living below the poverty line. We don't see pictures of the many hungry white folks in this country, the children going to bed hungry.

But it makes a difference in where the homeless reside. Less compassion for those that never have to worry about freezing to death in the winter time, like southern Florida.

And let's not kid ourselves, you can even freeze to death in Southern California in the winter time or southern Arizona or Texas!

Old 01-19-2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Never underestimate the homeless!

Hitler was homeless for years in Vienna, almost died on the streets one winter!

But I agree, it's not just the homeless who need help, it's all those families living below the poverty line. We don't see pictures of the many hungry white folks in this country, the children going to bed hungry.

But it makes a difference in where the homeless reside. Less compassion for those that never have to worry about freezing to death in the winter time, like southern Florida.

And let's not kid ourselves, you can even freeze to death in Southern California in the winter time or southern Arizona or Texas!
It's sad that the lack of response to this thread indicates how little people care about those living on the streets. Even more sad is that many seem to feel that refugees from another country are more deserving of our resources than our own citizens.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:42 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
The Bots have talking points about muslims and illegals, not the homeless.

If OFA sends out emails with those talking points, they'll respond.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:49 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,386,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
If you think of the political clout that is spent, and I say wasted, fretting over the Syrian refugees, as well as those that flooded across our border last year.
600,000 Americans are in the streets, braving the weather. Last night we heard from the democrats running for office how we are a compassionate people. That we must help the refugees. Yet I don't recall them mentioning our 50,000+ homeless vets or the 550,000 other homeless.
I feel that charity starts at home first. How can we justify taking in thousands of refugees, giving them a life, providing them shelter and all the while turn a blind eye to our own in need?
The GOP talks about needing to build a fence. Needing to get illegal immigration under control. They talk about building businesses. Never a word about our homeless.
I believe neither party cares because their is no political hay to be made. The homeless are an embarrassing fact that both seem happy to ignore.

Some people like living outdoors. Many are there because of their own life choices. Who are we to interfere?

Old 01-19-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
The Bots have talking points about muslims and illegals, not the homeless.

If OFA sends out emails with those talking points, they'll respond.
My primary concern is for the homeless vets. WE sent them to war and broke them. We owe them. The other 550,000 estimated homeless we owe as well. They are our own citizens. We certainly owe them a hell of a lot more than we do refugees from Syria or anywhere else. The estimated cost of resettling the Syrian refugees is estimated to be 1.2 billion dollars over 6 years..... I would think that 1.2 billion would be far better spent on our own homeless.
From another source
The High Cost of Resettling Middle Eastern Refugees | Center for Immigration Studies
$64,370 per refugee.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Some people like living outdoors. Many are there because of their own life choices. Who are we to interfere?
And far more are there because they have no other choice. We won't know who needs help until it is offered. They have the right to refuse shelter and food. We should at least make an attempt.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:01 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
The vast majority of permanent homeless in the US are mentally ill and/ or addicted to substance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies