Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 08:06 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,959,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Global equities’ worst-ever start to a year is deepening as oil continues its collapse and a slowdown in China weighs on sentiment. Japanese shares joined benchmark indexes in China and Europe in tumbling into a bear market today. West Texas Intermediate crude futures slumped below $28 a barrel.

About $2.2 trillion has been wiped off the value of U.S. stocks this year through yesterday, with the S&P 500 down 8 percent. And any rallies are getting shakier: nerves are weakening in a market where everything from China to oil and the Federal Reserve are proving capable of knocking equities down at any time. It’s a reversal of the optimism that underpinned the last three years of the bull market, when traders viewed bad news as transitory and used declines as opportunities to buy the dip.
Link: Wall St Opens Sharply Lower as Oil Slumps

The worse this gets, the less likely it is a Democrat will hold the White House this year. I dare you to check your 401K this week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 08:12 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Link: Wall St Opens Sharply Lower as Oil Slumps

The worse this gets, the less likely it is a Democrat will hold the White House this year. I dare you to check your 401K this week.
I think most people are better informed than you on this one, especially when your own link explains the reasons for market correction. Democrats do not control oil prices, or Chinese, Japanese and European markets.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I think most people are better informed than you on this one, especially when your own link explains the reasons for market correction. Democrats do not control oil prices, or Chinese, Japanese and European markets.
Yet Bush and the Republicans were blamed for what happened at the end of his second term. The same thing will happen to Obama and the Democrats, regardless of what the true reasons are for what's going on. That's a political reality, one you can't face when your guy is in charge.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:18 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,748,463 times
Quote:
Yet Bush and the Republicans were blamed for what happened at the end of his second term.
That's because Bush actually did specific things that caused the economy to boom-and-bust.

If you want to blame Obama for what's happening with the Chinese stock market, be my guest.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:21 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,961,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I think most people are better informed than you on this one,
Well, he is getting economic news from NewsMax, so what do you expect.

OP, try Marketplace (link). Pretty elementary, straightforward, and little, if any, political bias.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
That's because Bush actually did specific things that caused the economy to boom-and-bust.

If you want to blame Obama for what's happening with the Chinese stock market, be my guest.
Yes, we know. Anything bad in the stock market is because of bad but unnamed things Republicans did. When Democrats are in charge and things go south, it's always because of things out of their control.

Have you ever heard the term "brainwashed"?

Old 01-20-2016, 08:24 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,748,463 times
Quote:
Yes, we know. Anything bad in the stock market is because of bad but unnamed things Republicans did.
Bush helped screw up the mortgage market, not the stock market.

But remind me again, how did Obama tank the Chinese economy? Or was it the Chinese stock market y'all were worried about? I forget.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:25 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Yet Bush and the Republicans were blamed for what happened at the end of his second term. The same thing will happen to Obama and the Democrats, regardless of what the true reasons are for what's going on. That's a political reality, one you can't face when your guy is in charge.
I think the main difference is the fact that 2008 economic disaster happened because of US policies, and the whole world paid the price, while this one is happening due to things beyond US control. As a matter of fact, at this time US is the only place which is not hurting as bad as other places around the globe.

As for Democrats hurting, or not, I do not care. I believe the next president will be Republican no matter how good the economy is. That's just they way it is historically, and given the candidates, especially Clinton.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:19 AM

548 posts, read 474,046 times
Quote:
Just so long as you are willing to get on your knees and admit Obama was responsible for having the dow go from 8k to 18k you can blame him for it dropping to 16k.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupBro View Post
Just so long as you are willing to get on your knees and admit Obama was responsible for having the dow go from 8k to 18k you can blame him for it dropping to 16k.
Actually, I don't believe Obama is responsible for the drop just like Bush wasn't responsible for the crash when he was President.

I'm consistent. Liberals, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies