Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 07:41 AM

7,502 posts, read 5,751,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
Trump can spout off all he wants, just like Obama. However, there is this little thing called Congress. Unless he can get them to play along, and if the Republicans don't control both the House and the Senate, then there is a snowballs chance in #$%^ that they will, then all of his rhetoric is just that, rhetoric.

And executive orders only go so far. They can be undone by the next President, whereas laws are a bit harder to change.
If they don't play along we will get rid of them too. In fact, Ryan, McConnell. McCain et al, I suspect, are gone next go around. Time to quit giving away jobs and lining the pockets of the rich. Sanders wants to spend 29 trillion we don't have. Trump will do everything he can to get people back to work, raise wages, lift blacks out of poverty etc. If guys like Ryan and McConnell are not on board they get fired.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:44 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
After reading most of the post in this thread, there is no other way to put it,but come right out and say, most posting in this thread are pretty stupid.
Your claims that Trump would be a dictator are just stupid at best.
He may very well tell apple he wants things made in this country, but he knows he can't command them to do it.

He can however, offer big tax incentives to get apple to bring production back to this country, and that is the jest of his argument that apple needs to make goods here, and he could make it worth their while to do so.
All this crap about Trump demanding a company return to the USA is your way of tying to turn people away from Trump.
You people posting need to get a life.

Bob.
Look at the title of the thread. It very clearly states "Trump will FORCE..."
It doesn't say he will negotiate or bargain - it says "FORCE."

This goes hand in hand with those who say they support Trump because "he says what he means and means what he says."

If Trump "knows he can't command them to do it" why say it in the first place?
Because there are people in this country, including Trump himself apparently, who do believe, even though there is no proof to the contrary, that Trump has magical powers that no president has heretofore possessed. These powers will somehow cause Congress to acquiesce to his every demand from inauguration day onward. And not just Congress, but every other country and corporation will bow to his every whim.

Because Atlantic City or something.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:45 AM

21,468 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
I thought Republicans were about the free market and capitalism . Apple does still manufacture some of it's computers in the U.S. anyway. I think lots of jobs might be a push, considering Apple would likely just move out of the Country if that happened.
I think they'd be more likely to move out of the country if Sanders becomes president. I also think Donald Trump is right, they should be making them here. It's truly in their best interest, but probably too late anyway. China has been steadily stealing intellectual property from all the companies who have their products made over there. I'm not too sympathetic.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:51 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
A lot of car plants are moving in

I read a piece about that but now i couldn't find.

It wasn't a huge price hike at all like you said.

Well, Mitsubishi just closed their plant in Bloomington IL. Where is a new plant opening?

Old 01-20-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
It goes well beyond the assembly line. We don't have the infrastructure in terms of components.
There is a small company in Nashville TN, Paul C. Buff, that specializes in studio electronic flash systems for professional photographers; it is a middling-sized business, a couple of hundred employees. The founder was an innovator, creating new designs that broke boundaries in producing cutting-edge capabilities at low cost through clever design. The founder and president (who died about a year ago), prided himself in running a company that to the greatest extent possible produced their products in the US and provided the most exceptional service possible "by real Americans in America" as their ads stated.

A few years ago, I had an opportunity to tour their Nashville plant and actually speak to the founder. He griped about how it was simply impossible to produce his latest models from US-produced components--he had to settle for "assembled in the US." It was impossible for him to find companies that would fabricate new designs at anything like a reasonable cost, and it was becoming increasingly difficult even to source common electronic components from within the US.

He had no choice but to source components in China and despised the necessity. It was exceedingly difficult to manage quality control--the Chinese companies he dealt with directly often subcontracted and didn't practice any quality control themselves on their subcontractors. If he ended a contract with a company, they would often simply continue to counterfeit his original designs--even with his name still on them.

My experience while I was in the military reflected similarly. In the early 80s, I had a job which required me to periodically place a "Request for Proposal" in the federal Commerce Business Daily for new devices my command wanted to contract for production. In those days, we'd get literally hundreds of responses from fabrication plants around the country for every RFP: "We can build that!"

I had a similar job in the latter 90s, but by then manufacturing in the US had dwindled to the point that I never got more than a handful of responses--typically fewer than five--of proposals to accept a manufacturing contract.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:23 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
If they don't play along we will get rid of them too. In fact, Ryan, McConnell. McCain et al, I suspect, are gone next go around. Time to quit giving away jobs and lining the pockets of the rich. Sanders wants to spend 29 trillion we don't have. Trump will do everything he can to get people back to work, raise wages, lift blacks out of poverty etc. If guys like Ryan and McConnell are not on board they get fired.
Let me understand this, if the individual Congresspersons aren't conservative enough to "play along" with Trump, conservatives will replace them with more conservative Congresspersons who will use government power to force private corporations to bend to their will.

Thank you for admitting that conservatives aren't really conservative -- they're just hypocrites, who only object to government power when they aren't the government power. We witnessed that in the last decade. Traditional conservative values call for balanced budgets, limited foreign intervention and limiting the government's encroachment upon individual liberties and freedom and torturing prisoners was only what the Communists did. But when Bush was President, they forgot all about that. It was just fine to run deficits; start needless wars; wiretap without warrants and torture prisoners.

Also, conservatives of yesteryear respected state sovereignty but during the Bush years conservatives had no compunction about using their federal muscle to overrule state courts that disagreed with them (e.g. Terry Schiavo.)

Today, the GOP candidates are all falling over each other recommending "boots on the ground" in the Middle East.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:37 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
For every car, truck and whatever else you're building, you're going to pay a 35 percent tax every time you bring a car across the border," he said.
Can someone explain how making purchasers of cars, computers, etc. poorer through an additional 35 percent tax to the govt,improve the economy?

Old 01-20-2016, 08:40 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,868,942 times
The black market in America may be just about as large as the white market.

America is going Russian, and Russia is going American.

http://www.boredpanda.com/moscow-cit...stina-makeeva/

Old 01-20-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Can someone explain how making purchasers of cars, computers, etc. poorer through an additional 35 percent tax to the govt,improve the economy?
He's talking about ending globalization...but people with a lot more money than Trump will prevent that from happening.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:58 AM

1,709 posts, read 2,167,481 times
Half of the posts in this thread may be satirical, I can't tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies