Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2016, 08:55 AM

57,233 posts, read 26,172,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I would suspect the Vice Presidency.

Mind, I have speculated before, in other threads, that the Marchioness Trump, should he become president, would resign after two years, stating that he has accomplished all that needs to be done. Previously, I rather thought that Edward Rafael Cruz, born in Canada, would be his VP choice, but I must readjust my thinking based on the latest blasts by Trump towards the Canadian. However, Ms. Palin would buttress his Tea Party base.

As for Ms. Palin's son: I do feel sympathy for him, if he has indeed been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder.

I will say that as the years have gone by (I am 60) I now realize that many of the WWII Vets I knew (my late father and many of his Army friends) exhibited signs of PTSD. Of course, said veterans were brought up to suppress all disturbing thoughts and to keep their chin up.

I had one high school friend whose stepfather only told me that he was in WWII, and left it at that. I always enjoyed talking to him (he was an engineer for General Dynamics) but I often wondered about some of his behavior (including, simply not going in to work for weeks at a time; but he was so good at his job they always took him back). It was not until he died (five or six years ago) that I learned (as did his stepson) that he was in the very first wave at Normandy beach. No wonder that he sometimes got into a funk and just sat at home.

Of course, many of the young men that went to Europe and the Eastern fronts were drafted, as were many of those in Korea and Vietnam.

I am having a bit of a struggle to understand the rising rates of PTSD nowadays (of course, part of it is simple recognition of such a disorder, and more willingness for those vets to come forward). Todays' youth volunteer to serve; it would seem to me that just that act of volunteering means that their minds are adjusting towards what they may face and see (as opposed to those drafted and sent off to fight).

I review Federal disability cases, and the number of vets filing for disability, citing PTSD, has gone markedly up. Of course, to my disgust, many are obviously malingering. I had one case where the person was booted out of training camp after just 19 days, but he filed claiming to have witnessed traumatic events during that short time (pushups?). His claim was denied, as are many others who make up where they were or what they saw (most of the judges are veterans, and they are often appalled at how flimsy the reasons such people give to explain their self-diagnosed disorder).

I guess time will tell if Ms. Palin's son has been diagnosed with PTSD, and if he is undergoing treatment. While no fan of Ms. Palin, I would hope that she, and her son, did not suddenly come up with "PTSD" as an explanation for his drunken behavior. The jury is still out on that issue.

I will note that claiming PTSD is not a true 'defense' against being found guilty of criminal behavior (unless claiming 'not guilty be reason of insanity' or the equivalent). I have seen several cases where Vets commit crimes and have either pled guilt or been found guilty. However, if the Court finds that PTSD may be, in part, responsible for the behavior, then leniency may be shown in sentencing, such as ordering psychiatric treatment at a VA facility.

If Palin's son does in fact have PTSD she needs to get him treatment and most certainly do a better job keeping the guns and alcohol away from him.

The soldiers coming home from each war were drastically different, people of all backgrounds joined in WW2 but the demographics of Korea and Vietnam were quite different particularly with college deferments, political connections and those able to buy the right doctor. The last few wars were completely volunteer so you have people that actually want to be in the service at least they think so but I have seen more than a few that never should have joined.

I served in Vietnam and it appeared that many were poor, low education and had problems that should have kept them out in the first place, I knew a few that joined the military as opposed to jail time. Most handle it fairly well but quite a few had problem rejoining the world when they came back, the welcoming committee wasn't quite like today but happy for todays vets. Also there was no such thing as PTSD, they were not given attention until years later and the services were non-existent.

I think there are many claiming PTSD that are gaming the system or using it as an excuse for bad behavior, I will leave that to the doctors. It's unfortunate but for many this is a last resort if they are unemployed, if you served in the infantry for 10 years, no skill, no education the future isn't bright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 09:01 AM

39,075 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
I don't believe at all the president is at fault here but PTSD after combat is real. Some people like you either don't feel it or are able to battle it successfully. Others are not. That doesn't excuse his behavior. His behavior may or may not have nothing to do with PTSD.

Sarah Palin would probably blame President Obama for all bad things.
I did not say I don't feel it. I doubt there is anyone who has experienced combat that is not affected their entire lives. It is not something I would make light of. My dad was in Italy in WWII. Never said a word about it until I came back and we had a brief talk - once - and I learned that the images and the fears and regrets were still there after decades. He told me you do what you have to do, don't think about it. I try not to. Someone up thread mentioned the drinking connection and, for me, that was always the problem with my memories. I've never been a violent person in my personal relationships and even drunk on my butt, that never came out. I think that Track has a drinking/violence problem first and PTSD second. His other family members show the same proclivities/lack of discipline in their lives suggesting either a genetic or upbringing pattern. One thing is certain, it has nothing to do with Obama and Palin (and now Trump) is a disgusting person for politicizing the whole matter in such a way.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:02 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
http://m.nydailynews.com/news/politi...icle-1.2503589

"My son, a combat veteran … was fighting for you all, America, in the war zone. My son, like so many others, came back a bit different, they come back hardened,"

"They come back wondering if there is that respect for what it is that their fellow soldiers and airman and every other member of the military so sacrificially have given to this country, ...and that starts from the top."

"That comes from our own President, where they have to look at him and wonder, 'Do you know what we go through? Do you know what we're trying to do to secure America?'"

"So when my own son is going through what he goes through coming back, I can certainly relate with other families who kind of feel these ramifications of some PTSD and some of the woundedness that our soldiers do return with,"

Can she show that Track sought PTSD treatment and didn't get it?

As a reservist in 2008, under Bush, Track provided "air guard" protection for a Stryker vehicle in Iraq.

Sorry to break up the circle jerk, but I don`t see where she said he had/has PTSD.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:03 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,466,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Palin claimed that if they had a CinC that respected them then they would feel better about their service and, presumably, not so inclined to beat and threaten their girlfriends.
I wonder if that woman blames Obama for knocking up her daughter a couple times. Palin makes a lot of dumb claims so why not?

Old 01-21-2016, 09:06 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,505 times
I just finally got around to watching the speech she gave. Painfully embarrassing. From what I remember, Track Palin got into some trouble while he was still in high school. Of course, one can change but it doesn't seem like he did. He came home and got his girlfriend pregnant and was likely pressured into getting married to keep his mom in good standing with religious conservatives. Either way, Mama needs to stop making excuses for him. I've seen plenty of PTSD among patients - some who served, some who didn't - and violence is actually not a character trait for most of them.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:06 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Sorry to break up the circle jerk, but I don`t see where she said he had/has PTSD.
Are you referring to Ms. Palin? If so, it was widely reported:

Sarah Palin cites son's PTSD at Trump rally - CNNPolitics.com

Old 01-21-2016, 09:12 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Palin should have advised her son not to join in the first place. He didn't fight for the freedom of any american on foreign soil.
She is a pathetic blame thrower who isn't smart enough to see the whole picture.

Last edited by Frank DeForrest; 01-21-2016 at 09:21 AM..

Old 01-21-2016, 09:13 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
I wonder if that woman blames Obama for knocking up her daughter a couple times. Palin makes a lot of dumb claims so why not?
Yep. That darn Obama supporting Planned Parenthood where she could have gotten a birth control prescription. Or maybe it's those awful public schools that didn't teach Bristol to research so she couldn't find the condom section at Walgreen's.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:22 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Talking Palin blames Obama for Track's PTSD and arrest

B-b-but the GOP likes to call itself, "the party of personal responsibility."

Except whenever they can find a way to shift the blame.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:36 AM

7,498 posts, read 5,745,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
Don't. Listen.
I think you should and I am not a fan of Sara and I'm an Alaskan. She has a very valid point and her son is only one of many 1,000's of or military that suffers this fate. Forget your polical beliefs and look at it in a neutral way. He suffers from an illness that we created. We abandoned our troops when they came home. It's easier for illegals to get healthcare than our troops using the VERY VERY broken VA. If you recall this administration was going to fix the VA. Yet, nothing happened it was lies and lip service. If we are going to send our kids to war we need to stop sending billions to other countries and worrying about illegals and grants to determine if monkeys have feelings and put that toward helping our troops
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies