Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2016, 08:51 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,543,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Please feel free to look it up at your convenience.

And then post the results here if it fits your agenda.

The problem is the grouo using the income tax system as a welfare program. By definition, they are leeches, parasites, stealing money from others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 09:54 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I have and I posted the IRS data. Read my last post. The middle class isn't paying their fair share, and the Top 1% is paying nearly twice what they should.

Not at all convincing.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
The problem is the grouo using the income tax system as a welfare program. By definition, they are leeches, parasites, stealing money from others.

Darn right they are!

Old 01-24-2016, 10:01 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Not at all convincing.
I see you've posted nothing to dispute the fact that the middle class DOESN'T pay their fair share...

Old 01-24-2016, 10:21 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post

Yup. NO ONE should get back more than they pay into the system under any circumstances. Welfare should come from the welfare office not the tax system.

My dd and her dh are about to file their taxes. With his income and two kids they'll get back a lot more than they paid in in spite of the fact they have a free place to live (my house) and are literally being supported by dh and I. They cannot qualify for welfare because of the help they get from us but they'll get money back they didn't pay into the system because of earned income and per child tax credits.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I see you've posted nothing to dispute the fact that the middle class DOESN'T pay their fair share...
So what...

You think working folks are parasites.

That much is clear.

I don't share that inaccurate viewpoint.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:07 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,816,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Not necessarily. If you have one year of residence PRIOR to applying to school, yes you get resident rates.

If you arrive from another state as a freshman, a year or two or three of residency while you are in school won't get you resident rates.

U of M affordable? Only if you consider $52,734 per year affordable.

Sorry, working part-time during the school year and full-time in the summer - at say $10 per hour - won't cover half of the tuition - not to mention room and board.

There is NO WAY I could afford that without borrowing up to my eyeballs.

Tuition for the 2015-16 academic year is listed below:

RESIDENT

NON-RESIDENT

Full-time students: per semester
$26,367

$27,867

Part-time students: first hour elected
$2,967

$3,117

Each additional hour
$2,601

$2,751

As for moving out of the rust belt, remember that when I graduated, I gave up my campus janitor job, which paid $1 above minimum wage. i.e. by graduating, i took a wage cut and a reduction in income, ,and couldn't afford to relocate.
I said work, like in a job after graduating, then later going to law school. You know that.

Check out tuition 35-40 years ago not today. A vast difference.

You don't seem to realize that that many years ago, its getting into the times when I was in college. I know very well how things were in those days. And yes, it was entirely possible to work and cover most expenses in college then. I know people who did exactly that. Certainly not possible today but it was then.

Relocation? Be serious, How much did you have back then? Throw some stuff in a bag, hit the road, off you go. I did that, got a job selling shirts and coats at Macys after graduating from college, met interesting people, lived ... well in the 70s that was some experience, but lots of fun for a few months.

I don't buy your story. Not for a moment, unless addiction (drugs, whatever) I did know a few who got caught up in that. Barring that, nope.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:13 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

We should have a flat tax-one rate for people based on GROSS wages and capital gains, other income and the same rate for corps based on EBIT (not EBITDA 0r even adjusted taxable profit). NO deductions for individual earnings-all 18 and over file as single, just as they vote.

Using a hypothetical 10 percent flat tax rate, someone (call them A) with $10,000 GROSS wages pays $1,000 and keeps $9,000 to live on while someone (B) with $1,000,000 GROSS keeps $900,000 to live on.

Let's also say hypothetically a decent basic lifestyle requires $15,000.

You'd take food or some other necessity from A. A's landlord is gonna be unhappy if A stiffs him on the rent to keep food on the table.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:16 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
All the presidential candidates ever pander to is Middle-Class families. Supposedly they're the ones who deserve tax breaks.

Well, I'm single, unmarried, no kids, and rent an apartment. Where's my tax break? Why can't I deduct my rent from my income? When are Middle-Class families going to pay back the subsidies I've been giving them through the Earned Income Tax Credit?
Boo, hoo, hoo, another butt hurt liberal who thinks the road to prosperity is stealing other peoples money.

What you are really saying is that you support the stealing of peoples money, so long as it isn't yours.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:21 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
I said work, like in a job after graduating, then later going to law school. You know that.

Check out tuition 35-40 years ago not today. A vast difference.

You don't seem to realize that that many years ago, its getting into the times when I was in college. I know very well how things were in those days. And yes, it was entirely possible to work and cover most expenses in college then. I know people who did exactly that. Certainly not possible today but it was then.

Relocation? Be serious, How much did you have back then? Throw some stuff in a bag, hit the road, off you go. I did that, got a job selling shirts and coats at Macys after graduating from college, met interesting people, lived ... well in the 70s that was some experience, but lots of fun for a few months.

I don't buy your story. Not for a moment, unless addiction (drugs, whatever) I did know a few who got caught up in that. Barring that, nope.

I took a pay cut when I graduated. Getting a job after graduation would NEVER have allowed me to afford law school so your proposal fails. Also, I paid non-resident tuition.

Hit the road, off I go? I had no baggage to impede travel but I had zero savings upon which to draw - how would I keep a roof over my head? Remember landlords demand on cash up front
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies