Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2016, 12:17 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
A private business has the right to regulate firearms on their property; however, if I were to be hurt on their property, they'd better get their lawyers ready because I'd sue them for not providing adequate security after they disarmed me.

You would have to prove that the sign was a direct cause of your injury:

1. It would reasonably never have occurred, except for the sign.
2. You would reasonably have prevented your injury, except for the sign.

As I've said earlier, 3% of Texans have a CHL, and only a portion of them actually exercise it, and only a portion of those who do exercise it would actually respond in a crisis. The probability that an armed citizen is a danger to any given criminal is statistically negligible regardless of the sign on the door, and I simply do not think criminals think about it one way or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 12:19 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I know the want of being left alone, and I share the sentiment, whether it be government, anything or anyone else, but just how are we supposed to reconcile this desire with the fact we are told we must pay taxes, possibly get drafted into the military, can't have more than one spouse, do illegal drugs, pay for sex, occupy federal land...

Much like the argument that the 2A is all we need consider when it comes to the issue of gun violence, I think support under the one principle "that government should not tell us what to do" is a bit too simplistic...
I'd suggest we work together to remove all those restrictions except for taxes and draft. I'd suggest we move to a single sales tax system rather than the current cluster f so that everybody is paying their fair share, rich and poor.

We really don't need any restrictions on the rest of them.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:24 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
I'd suggest we work together to remove all those restrictions except for taxes and draft. I'd suggest we move to a single sales tax system rather than the current cluster f so that everybody is paying their fair share, rich and poor.

A. From the very beginning of the concept of taxation, it has been used and cherished as a method of government coercion and reward...and no government is actually going to give up the stick and carrot that has been so useful for so many thousands of years.

B. Everyone has his own idea of what "fair share" means.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:33 PM

1,166 posts, read 754,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I am a huge supporter of the Second Amendment but I also believe that a private business has the right to regulate firearms on their property. I also have alot of concerns about open carry, I think it's counterproductive since it removes the element of surprise. Additionally I can't help but think that alot of open carry types just want to show off and act macho. It pains me to say it, but there is alot of that within the gun owners community.
Open carry is basically just for the mall ninja and sovereign citizen types. They think it makes them look like tough soldiers and fail to notice the rest of the world laughing at them. There is something beyond pathetic about a grown man dressed in camo and 5.11 pants with a 48 inch waist strapping on a gun and various other tacti-cool accessories to go buy duct tape at Home Depot.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:34 PM

1,166 posts, read 754,663 times
Quote:
A private business has the right to regulate firearms on their property; however, if I were to be hurt on their property, they'd better get their lawyers ready because I'd sue them for not providing adequate security after they disarmed me.

I only support open carry under one principle: the government should not tell us what to do.

Would you get all stompy foot and have to shoot someone when your suit was laughed out of court?

Old 01-28-2016, 12:35 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Quote:

What about retired people who paid taxes for 50 some years and are now living on fixed income. Should they have to pay those increased sales taxes too? Or should they just not buy anything after a certain age?

Old 01-28-2016, 02:03 PM

152 posts, read 186,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
Open carry is basically just for the mall ninja and sovereign citizen types. They think it makes them look like tough soldiers and fail to notice the rest of the world laughing at them. There is something beyond pathetic about a grown man dressed in camo and 5.11 pants with a 48 inch waist strapping on a gun and various other tacti-cool accessories to go buy duct tape at Home Depot.
Couldn't agree more.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:15 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,380,725 times
Quote:
I am a huge supporter of the Second Amendment but I also believe that a private business has the right to regulate firearms on their property.
Yes

Quote:
I also have alot of concerns about open carry, I think it's counterproductive since it removes the element of surprise.
Not seen evidence either way.

Quote:
Additionally I can't help but think that alot of open carry types just want to show off and act macho. It pains me to say it, but there is alot of that within the gun owners community.
Probably true in a lot of cases, but at the end of the day its their right and that's what it boils down to. I don't carry at all, but if someone else wants to carry in the matter they please, I'm fine with it.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:19 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,380,725 times
Quote:
Would you get all stompy foot and have to shoot someone when your suit was laughed out of court?
Is that the best you can do?

Old 01-28-2016, 06:35 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
They laugh...no, they call 911 and say SOMEBODY has a gun....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies