Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2016, 09:26 AM

29,405 posts, read 9,593,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
The main issue with the statistics is the gun control party constantly bring up junk as "science" and refuse to recognize the basic flaws in their "studies." That is not an attitude for an honest and ethical discussion.
If you don't think your criticism can be made from both sides, that too many people on either side are blinded by the effects of confirmation bias, then you too are part of the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 09:29 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,469,571 times
The Us Constitution allows the people to keep(carry) & bear(use) arms.
The government has no say who, what, when, where, why, or how, the people keep & bear arms.

Murder is murder. Harm is harm. That has been established before the Constitution, in Common Law.
That is what the courts are for.

This, I'm taking your rights to keep you safe from yourselves, is insane and the cause of diminishing liberties.
"what could happen", takes more liberty that anything that has ever occurred.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:22 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,009,575 times
I'm actually in Texas this week making some commercial freight deliveries. Sure enough, at a major grocery distribution center in Ft. Worth, there were two huge signs at the security office, that read "No Open Carry" and the statute info. Then at a truck stop , Pilot I think, I saw the same sign on their door.

I like the signs. I know, I'm a traitor to the constitution, etc. You'll just have to hang me the "day of reckoning", " day of the rope" or whatever else you call it.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:30 PM

46,202 posts, read 26,953,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
I'm actually in Texas this week making some commercial freight deliveries. Sure enough, at a major grocery distribution center in Ft. Worth, there were two huge signs at the security office, that read "No Open Carry" and the statute info. Then at a truck stop , Pilot I think, I saw the same sign on their door.

I like the signs. I know, I'm a traitor to the constitution, etc. You'll just have to hang me the "day of reckoning", " day of the rope" or whatever else you call it.
Have they always been there? Or did you just now "notice" or did you never care what the Constitution said, and there is no "reckoning" because your failure to notice what was there before, and I have no clue what you mean by the "day of the rope" but maybe you can enlighten us...

Old 02-03-2016, 07:29 PM

37,937 posts, read 17,789,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post

You're a traitor to your own life. Your choice, that's what freedom is about.
Why a person doesn't want to defend themselves is beyond me. I enjoy my life too much to not defend it.
Do you want to be the only person in the room without a gun when trouble starts?

Old 02-03-2016, 09:46 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,009,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Have they always been there? Or did you just now "notice" or did you never care what I have no clue what you mean by the "day of the rope" but maybe you can enlighten us...
No these signs are new. I've been to many distribution centers and truck stops in Texas and never saw "no open carry" signs. Of course OC wasn't legal the last time I was in Texas either.

As for the Day of the Rope, that's from the novel, The Turner Diaries, when they cleansed society. I thought that book was required reading in the patriot movement.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:56 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,600,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
the point of concealed carry is just that; conceal the fact that you are carrying a gun. If I need a product that is sold in a store that has posted a "No guns" sign I will decide if going some place else is worth the trouble or not. If not I will just ignore the sign. What is the clerk going to do? Throw me out?

I carry a firearm for self defense and I see no reason I should take off my weapon just because some corporate lawyers are afraid of lawsuits or some squirrel person manager would rather trust an unregistered criminal to be peaceful and never hurt anyone in a "no gun zone."

Just the establishment of the "No gun zone" by a private business open to the public is a form of discrimination. The business is there to sell to anyone with the money for whatever they purchase. Would you be OK with a store that banned Blacks or Christians just because they were Black or Christian? If a store is open for business it must be pen to ALL potential customers.
Carrying a gun is an action, not an intrinsic part of your "self" like your skin color or religion. I fully support both open and concealed carry but I also support property rights. Making thinly veiled threats like "what is the clerk gonna do?" makes pro-2A people look like those who just carry a gun to be "bad" rather than regular Americans exercising their god-given rights. Maybe that "clerk" is just as armed as you are.

Don't support businesses that don't let you carry concealed. That's called capitalism and it'll work it's magic in the end.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:09 AM

28,619 posts, read 18,658,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
If you're in a shopping mall or hospital or bank or many of the other large places on the list, the clerk notifies a security guard who will throw you out, and call in LEO if you resist.

This is true, and in Texas that action can result in the loss of the license to carry.

Quote:
The point is, open-carry so far has resulted in more restrictions on people (like DH) who carry concealed. He and many people won't carry where law forbids it. YMMV.

Hard to say that's a "backfire." Certainly no stores that prohibited concealed carry before have rescinded their prohibitions, so not much has really been gained by the new open carry provision in that consideration. A few that had legally ineffective no-gun signs before have been wisened up by the flurry of news information to post legally effective signs now--but that's not a change-of-heart on their parts.

Most businesses had no sign before, and most do not have any sign today. That may only mean they haven't made a pre-emptive decision--and Texas law still leaves them completely free on a case-by-case basis to approach any armed customer and ask him to leave. If he refuses to leave, he is trespassing.

Many businesses are now making their pre-emptive decisions on the specific issue of open carry, and a great many have decided "no" to that. But by posting only 30.07 signs, they are pretty clearly saying, "we decided concealed carry is okay," and in that manner, concealed carry is actually being confirmed by more businesses than it had been before.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:42 AM

29,405 posts, read 9,593,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Carrying a gun is an action, not an intrinsic part of your "self" like your skin color or religion...,

...rather than regular Americans exercising their god-given rights.
I can easily agree that carrying a gun is not an intrinsic part of us, but I'm scratching my head a bit over whether carrying a gun is a "god-given right."

Much like gun-enthusiasts are so quick to consider the 2A and little else when it comes to gun-congrol, I guess now I need to check the Bible on this too...

Old 02-04-2016, 11:02 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,469,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I can easily agree that carrying a gun is not an intrinsic part of us, but I'm scratching my head a bit over whether carrying a gun is a "god-given right."

Much like gun-enthusiasts are so quick to consider the 2A and little else when it comes to gun-congrol, I guess now I need to check the Bible on this too...

The god given right is, to be able and have access to any weapon, that will disable your attacker.
The second amendment doesn't just mean a gun. But you knew that.

If your took it like they have redefined well regulated, militias, free state and shall not be infringed, the second amendment would mean you can wear a short sleeve shirt, and keep your arms from being removed from your body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies