Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 08:09 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times

Advertisements

"DD" let me please clarify my comment. My intent was that the founders (and therefore rural Texans) have Greater intelligence than the present urban deziens who appear to be so afraid of guns in the hands of honest, lawful Americans. So you can tuck your tongue back in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 08:21 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
It's well known that common sense is not common.

I believe there's a good reason for open carry sometimes, but most times it's foolish and deliberately provocative.

MI has had legal open carry since I can remember. A couple years ago a young 18 yo guy decided to walk in downtown Birmingham (a posh suburb of Detroit) carrying a loaded rifle. He was stopped and questioned by police and asked to provide ID (which per MI law you're not required to do). He refused showing ID, was arrested and charged with brandishing firearm and disturbing peace (there was also a charge of obstructing police which was thrown out by the judge). Officers admitted he was being polite - if stubborn - through the whole ordeal. Jury cleared him on all counts, agreeing that he was excercisisng his legal rights and the police had no reason to stop him.

All that said, I think he was being a prick. The only reason for him to openly carry a rifle through Birmingham - a place with no hunting, no target ranges, and virtually no crime - was to prove a point. And a guy with a weapon would stand out there like a sore thumb, and not in a good way. Not everything that is legal is always socially appropriate.

So it is not appropriate for a legal, law abiding citizen, following the laws, EVEN WHEN THE POLICE REPEATEDLY VIOLATED HIS RIGHTS, and then ILLEGALLY ARRESTED him, when all he wanted was to exercise his rights as provided under the law?

That makes him the problem? As I said before the time is near to either stand for your rights, or live on your knees.

Social acceptance is not a requirement of the law. If it was blacks would have separate drnking fountains and gays would never be seen in public and YOU and I would not be allowed to have guns if the urban ignorants and tyrants in govt. had their way.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:37 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,863,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Instead of making open and concealed carry easier the new law is making it harder. I've seen more "no gun" signs going up than I saw before the new law - both 30.06 signs (no concealed carry) and 30.07 signs (no open carry).

“We have lost more than we gained,” said one frustrated poster to the online site TexasCHLforum.com, which invites discussion about concealed gun permit laws in the state. “This has woken up the ‘anti’ crowd in a big way.”

“Places that were not concerned previously are taking sides because of the recent publicity,” said another.

The “concealed” part of concealed carry may have made it easy for business owners to just not think much about who is or isn’t toting a gun.

Now, with open carry as the law, they must be explicitly clear. Anecdotally, unhappy posters at the pro-gun site Texas3006.com report a rash of businesses putting up new signs banning both concealed and open firearms.

Did Open Carry backfire on Texas gun owners? | | Dallas Morning News

List of Texas Businesses Prohibiting Open Carry Exceeds 400 | Blogs | San Antonio Current
Funny.... Because if those guns really backfired this world would have a lot less idiots
(Of course, good people would be lost too in all fairness).

Old 01-21-2016, 08:58 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,302,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
So it is not appropriate for a legal, law abiding citizen, following the laws, EVEN WHEN THE POLICE REPEATEDLY VIOLATED HIS RIGHTS, and then ILLEGALLY ARRESTED him, when all he wanted was to exercise his rights as provided under the law?

That makes him the problem? As I said before the time is near to either stand for your rights, or live on your knees.

Social acceptance is not a requirement of the law. If it was blacks would have separate drnking fountains and gays would never be seen in public and YOU and I would not be allowed to have guns if the urban ignorants and tyrants in govt. had their way.
So what would your reaction be if you saw a group of bearded men in mideastern outfits carrying AK-47s briskly walking down your street ? Would your first thought be "great, they are exercising their 2A rigths !"

Now please explain to me how is it different from a young white guy with M-1 walking in the neighborhood - right next to a busy playground - in a city where you never see anyone armed.

Legal ? Yes. Smart ? No.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:07 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
"DD" let me please clarify my comment. My intent was that the founders (and therefore rural Texans) have Greater intelligence than the present urban deziens who appear to be so afraid of guns in the hands of honest, lawful Americans. So you can tuck your tongue back in.
OK...but my interpretation is funnier.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:43 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I stopped at an establishment in Weatherford, TX a few days ago on my way home and was surprised to see a sign disallowing people to come inside with openly carried firearms. Gotta say, it threw me for a loop....being Texas and all.

It's a pretty popular truck stop with the locals as well as passers by. It doesn't really make sense to me...I thought Texans voted for this! What's the sense if businesses won't let you come in without your piece.
The sense is ~ Texas since 1996 has let you legally come in with your piece but the open carry nutjobs demanded the right to flaunt their pieces and screwed the pooch for us.
Concealed carry worked fine. Open carry goes to show what happens when you try to fix something that's not broke.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:51 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I don't know much about guns (having never owned one, or even touched one). It's my understanding that most other states already allow open carry (a gun expert told me that recently), so I'm not sure why Texas's new law is such a big deal. But then, I also don't understand why anyone would prefer to openly carry rather than concealed. What's the benefit? Doesn't it carry dangers, for everyone around to know you have a gun? Seems like that person would be the first person a mass shooter would go after.
I don't either, and I'm a gun owner myself. I'm not a fan of the open carry law. I think it can actually increase the chance that a criminal can catch wearers off guard and swipe their piece unexpectedly and can also make non gun owners feel nervous unnecessarily, and what's the point in that? Also, I can't figure out how businesses believe they can enforce a no conceal carry rule unless they have metal detectors, which few do.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:53 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,978,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
The sense is ~ Texas since 1996 has let you legally come in with your piece but the open carry nutjobs demanded the right to flaunt their pieces and screwed the pooch for us.
Concealed carry worked fine. Open carry goes to show what happens when you try to fix something that's not broke.
It not only allows a carrier to remove a jacket every so often, it's also a form of educational outreach: Effective personal self defense is not contraband.

Saloon owners and dry goods purveyors have been putting these signs in their windows since the days of Wyatt Earp.

You didn't have a problem with Washington state or any of a number of other open carry territories before TX changed its law. It's curious how the progressive left fakes this as a failure simply because property owners still have a choice.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:05 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times
Quote:
so afraid of guns in the hands of honest, lawful Americans.
Here's the fundamental problem with that argument, how does one go about discerning their lawfulness?

Old 01-21-2016, 11:08 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,978,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Here's the fundamental problem with that argument, how does one go about discerning their lawfulness?
"...shall not be infringed."

It means what it says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies