Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 03:44 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times

Advertisements

Instead of making open and concealed carry easier the new law is making it harder. I've seen more "no gun" signs going up than I saw before the new law - both 30.06 signs (no concealed carry) and 30.07 signs (no open carry).

“We have lost more than we gained,” said one frustrated poster to the online site TexasCHLforum.com, which invites discussion about concealed gun permit laws in the state. “This has woken up the ‘anti’ crowd in a big way.”

“Places that were not concerned previously are taking sides because of the recent publicity,” said another.

The “concealed” part of concealed carry may have made it easy for business owners to just not think much about who is or isn’t toting a gun.

Now, with open carry as the law, they must be explicitly clear. Anecdotally, unhappy posters at the pro-gun site Texas3006.com report a rash of businesses putting up new signs banning both concealed and open firearms.

Did Open Carry backfire on Texas gun owners? | | Dallas Morning News

List of Texas Businesses Prohibiting Open Carry Exceeds 400 | Blogs | San Antonio Current
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 03:51 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
I don't know much about guns (having never owned one, or even touched one). It's my understanding that most other states already allow open carry (a gun expert told me that recently), so I'm not sure why Texas's new law is such a big deal. But then, I also don't understand why anyone would prefer to openly carry rather than concealed. What's the benefit? Doesn't it carry dangers, for everyone around to know you have a gun? Seems like that person would be the first person a mass shooter would go after.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:57 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times
Yeah, not really. For the most part it's been a complete non issue for 99.999% of concealed carry folks like myself who don't want to or intend on open carrying but still enjoy the freedom to do it if I want.

If a business doesn't respect my rights I have the choice of whether to give them my business or not, it's really not that big of a deal to most people.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:16 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,299,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I don't know much about guns (having never owned one, or even touched one). It's my understanding that most other states already allow open carry (a gun expert told me that recently), so I'm not sure why Texas's new law is such a big deal. But then, I also don't understand why anyone would prefer to openly carry rather than concealed. What's the benefit? Doesn't it carry dangers, for everyone around to know you have a gun? Seems like that person would be the first person a mass shooter would go after.
Yes, and while I believe there should be the right to open carry, I also think it's foolish to do this in public, especially in a high crime area. A concealed gun is an insurance, an openly carried gun is an advertisement. Unlike a law abiding citizen who can only react to an attack, the criminal always has the benefit of selecting when and how to attack.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:26 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Instead of making open and concealed carry easier the new law is making it harder. I've seen more "no gun" signs going up than I saw before the new law - both 30.06 signs (no concealed carry) and 30.07 signs (no open carry).
I live in N TX and that is exactly what I've observed. In the past couple of weeks, I've seen "no concealed" and "no carry" signs at several medical facilities, including a hospital, a rehab center, an assisted living center, and a medical professional building. Previously there were no signs posted so concealed carry was allowed.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:28 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Much ado about nothing.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:33 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I'm not one who would open carry for sure, but a mass shooter would avoid a place where he knows people are packing. They want to do as much damage as possible so they seek the easiest targets.

ALL of the mass shootings in the last few years happened in No Gun Zones (theaters, schools, CA). Putting up signs not allowing any weapons (CCP/OPEN) is the real danger for those shop owners. Might as well stand outside screaming "Come Rob Me; there are no weapons here!"

Old 01-21-2016, 04:36 PM

590 posts, read 554,757 times
Quote:

“We have lost more than we gained,” said one frustrated poster to the online site TexasCHLforum.com, which invites discussion about concealed gun permit laws in the state. “This has woken up the ‘anti’ crowd in a big way.”

“Places that were not concerned previously are taking sides because of the recent publicity,” said another.

The “concealed” part of concealed carry may have made it easy for business owners to just not think much about who is or isn’t toting a gun.

Now, with open carry as the law, they must be explicitly clear. Anecdotally, unhappy posters at the pro-gun site Texas3006.com report a rash of businesses putting up new signs banning both concealed and open firearms.

List of Texas Businesses Prohibiting Open Carry Exceeds 400 | Blogs | San Antonio Current
Let me see if I get this correct, an armed criminal walks into a business that prohibits the carry of a gun and starts a mass shooting, then an armed good guy pulls out his weapon, fires at the bad guy and stops him, instead of being called a hero, there's a good chance he'll be arrested and charged with the violation of the law stated on the sign at the entrance that disallows open or concealed carry. That makes a lot of sense.

They should learn from past incidents where bad guys ignored the signs at the entrance and walked into gun-free zones and committed criminal acts. That's why I would stay away from such businesses.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:47 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:

Why don't they report the before and after stats? You first link show a picture from 2015, when did the law go into effect?

Also, the Texas3006.com has less that 100 post, all done...... guess when....TODAY......Hahahahaaaaaa

I guess less than 100 business (91 to be exact) is a RASH.....

https://www.texas3006.com/index.php

Talk about fear mongering.....lol....

Screen shot for proof....LOL....

New open carry law is backfiring in Texas-today.png

Old 01-21-2016, 04:49 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Why don't they report the before and after stats? You first link show a picture from 2015, when did the law go into effect?

Also, the Texas3006.com has less that 100 post, all done...... guess when....TODAY......Hahahahaaaaaa

I guess less than 100 business (91 to be exact) is a RASH.....

https://www.texas3006.com/index.php

Talk about fear mongering.....lol....

Screen shot for proof....LOL....

Attachment 164757
Too funny! Maybe this was a subversive way to promote someones new blog site, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies