Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 06:45 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times

Advertisements

These refugees remind me of many of the Katrina refugees that came to Texas.
Their entitlement attitude was you owe me and what are you going to do for me next.

Problem is so many got so much free stuff, they didn't want to go back home.

European leaders are in such denial.

Old 01-22-2016, 06:56 AM

106 posts, read 75,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
A few years back, I took in a dog that was abused by his previous owner. They were going to put him down because he wouldn't trust anyone and would snap at people.

When I took him home, he did his regular routine of barking and snapping at me very aggressively. I grabbed him, shook him, and yelled at him "stop snapping at me!" He never barked or snapped at me ever again.

Nowadays, 5 years after I adopted him and he is the most adorable dog. Anyone can play with him. Neighbor's kids love him.

I used to work for habitat for humanity. Often times, the people we tried to help would try to take as much advantage of us as they could. Why? Because that's all they know. They didn't know any better.

I've found that people who idealizes helping others (people or animals) are always greatly disappointed when they found out reality is never what they fantasized. Those of us who are truly dedicated to helping others are fully aware that more often than not when we feed those who need our help our hands at times will be bitten.

That woman in the article in the OP was just another idealistic person who thought she was living in a damn movie. Then reality hits.

Here's the thing. Just because some of these people's natural tendency is to turn around and bite the hands that feed them doesn't mean we should give up on them. Didn't your jesus say something about this?

These people came from a culture of violence and oppression. That's all they know. I know what I'm about to say may sound offensive, but trying to help these people is like trying to help the abused dog I adopted. You have to show strength as well as patience... a lot of patience.

I'd like to think your simple analogy works but this is far more complex. These are people for one. Complex people with history and links to others and culture and history.... who've been brainwashed to believe some pretty heinous things about just about every one else. Generations of them believe it's okay to act out aggressively on this belief.

But to humor your analogy....can you imagine fostering a million stray, abused, un-neutered, rabid-like dogs and letting them loose to roam the streets in packs? Can you even begin to imagine what kind of hell that would create?

Assimilation only seems to work in small numbers with a lot of work....sort of like you with your dog.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:04 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,554,547 times
It should be mandatory for every last refugee/asylum seeker to read and sign a document outlining that sharia law does not exist in the western world and THEY are the one's who need to adapt, not the host country.

Un freaking believable

Old 01-22-2016, 07:13 AM

106 posts, read 75,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
It should be mandatory for every last refugee/asylum seeker to read and sign a document outlining that sharia law does not exist in the western world and THEY are the one's who need to adapt, not the host country.

Un freaking believable

YES!

I think they should also have to pledge a vow of loyalty to their NEW home country.

I believe this would help too.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:28 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
These are human beings and not dogs. They should know better, unless they are behaving like animals.
After WW2, an estimated 6 million people in Europe were " displaced".

The Western Allies converted former concentration camps, army barracks, hotels, hospitals, prisons and a few castles into camps for the millions of displaced persons. Populations within these camps were substantially diverse, nationality, language, culture and religion. Jews lived along side antisemite Christians and in some cases Nazi sympathizers.

Some camps restricted movement of their populations while others did not. The locals in areas of these camps feared displaced persons. They were perceived as different, outsiders, intruders, often illiterate, diseased, child molesters, criminals. Sexual assaults within and near these camps occurred. The displaced persons were unable to find employment and for the most part either worked within the camps or waited.

As efforts to resettle the displaced persons progressed, families usually got priority. Thus, people began to marry, often in large mass ceremonies and procreation ensued.

The formation of Israel enabled the resettlement of many Jews, reducing conflicts between Jews and anti- Semites within the camps.

Nationality mattered. If Canada or the US agreed to take say more Poles than Ukranians in any given timeframe, many suddenly became Polish or vice- versa depending on resettlement quotas.

Of course back then, there were no cell phones, no 24/7 international news cycle, no internet and no social media. Local papers did however contain reports about the hostilities between locals and displaced persons, the filthy intruders, criminals, rapists, murderers.

The deplorable conditions within these camps were mostly unreported, for years. The Western Allies kept it under wraps, easy enough given the lack of technology at the time. The average wait time for resettlement was about 5 years. Those left behind tended to be the elderly, mentally and physically disabled.

My husband was born in one of these camps in Europe. He was 5 when the family was resettled in the US. His parents never learned to speak or understand English and never assimilated. They eventually became citizens despite their lack of fluency in English.

They worked. They paid taxes. They saved every penny to buy a 3 flat and rented rooms out to newly immigrated families. The basement had dirt floors and a coal bin. That space was also rented out to immigrant families. They dealt with a few child molesters on their midst over the years. They never owned a car, dined out or took a vacation. Discretionary income went to the Eastern Orthadox Church and giving subsequent Eastern European immigrants opportunities. Other immigrants could go to hell.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 01-22-2016 at 08:41 AM..

Old 01-22-2016, 08:37 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
A few years back, I took in a dog that was abused by his previous owner. They were going to put him down because he wouldn't trust anyone and would snap at people.

When I took him home, he did his regular routine of barking and snapping at me very aggressively. I grabbed him, shook him, and yelled at him "stop snapping at me!" He never barked or snapped at me ever again.

Nowadays, 5 years after I adopted him and he is the most adorable dog. Anyone can play with him. Neighbor's kids love him.

I used to work for habitat for humanity. Often times, the people we tried to help would try to take as much advantage of us as they could. Why? Because that's all they know. They didn't know any better.

I've found that people who idealizes helping others (people or animals) are always greatly disappointed when they found out reality is never what they fantasized. Those of us who are truly dedicated to helping others are fully aware that more often than not when we feed those who need our help our hands at times will be bitten.

That woman in the article in the OP was just another idealistic person who thought she was living in a damn movie. Then reality hits.

Here's the thing. Just because some of these people's natural tendency is to turn around and bite the hands that feed them doesn't mean we should give up on them. Didn't your jesus say something about this?

These people came from a culture of violence and oppression. That's all they know. I know what I'm about to say may sound offensive, but trying to help these people is like trying to help the abused dog I adopted. You have to show strength as well as patience... a lot of patience.
Well instead of taking in one aggressive dog, take in 500 aggressive dogs and see what happens.
When the pack outnumbers you the pack has control.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:45 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,554,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well instead of taking in one aggressive dog, take in 500 aggressive dogs and see what happens.
When the pack outnumbers you the pack has control.
not to mention, dogs are easier to train.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:48 AM

19,635 posts, read 12,226,539 times
And yet she still continues to work there. If my clients were threatening to cut my head off I think I'd probably leave the job. Her weak victim attitude is why this will end badly for all.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:49 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
If you opt to move to another country then it is on you to adapt to that country. It is both unrealistic and insane to expect a nation to adapt to you. Perhaps these Muslims should have chosen countries that have cultures and laws more in alignment with their own beliefs? Iran for example, or Libya, or Saudi Arabia?

Old 01-22-2016, 08:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
After WW2, an estimated 6 million people in Europe were " displaced".

The Western Allies converted former concentration camps, army barracks, hotels, hospitals, prisons and a few castles into camps for the millions of displaced persons. Populations within these camps were substantially diverse, nationality, language, culture and religion. Jews lived along side antisemite Christians and in some cases Nazi sympathizers.

Some camps restricted movement of their populations while others did not. The locals in areas of these camps feared displaced persons. They were perceived as different, outsiders, intruders, often illiterate, diseased, child molesters, criminals. Sexual assaults within and near these camps occurred. The displaced persons were unable to find employment and for the most part either worked within the camps or waited.

As efforts to resettle the displaced persons progressed, families usually got priority. Thus, people began to marry, often in large mass ceremonies and procreation ensued.

The formation of Israel enabled the resettlement of many Jews, reducing conflicts between Jews and anti- Semites within the camps.

Nationality mattered. If Canada or the US agreed to take say more Poles than Ukranians in any given timeframe, many suddenly became Polish or vice- versa depending on resettlement quotas.

Of course back then, there were no cell phones, no 24/7 international news cycle, no internet and no social media. Local papers did however contain reports about the hostilities between locals and displaced persons, the filthy intruders, criminals, rapists, murderers.

The deplorable conditions within these camps were mostly unreported, for years. The Western Allies kept it under wraps, easy enough given the lack of technology at the time. The average wait time for resettlement was about 5 years. Those left behind tended to be the elderly, mentally and physically disabled.

My husband was born in one of these camps in Europe. He was 5 when the family was resettled in the US. His parents never learned to speak or understand English and never assimilated. They eventually became citizens despite their lack of fluency in English.

They worked. They paid taxes. They saved every penny to buy a 3 flat and rented rooms out to newly immigrated families. The basement had dirt floors and a coal bin. That space was also rented out to immigrant families. They dealt with a few child molesters on their midst over the years. They never owned a car, dined out or took a vacation. Discretionary income went to the Eastern Orthadox Church and giving subsequent Eastern European immigrants opportunities. Other immigrants could go to hell.
But those 6 million also came from Western cultures and were able to assimilate.

The ME has a unique culture in that they still follow laws created in Biblical times (Old Testament).

Quite a difference there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies