Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 11:32 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
1. Nowhere it says in the constitution that "A bunch of well regulated drunks, being necessary to the happiness of the State, the right of the people to drink alcohol shall not be infringed."

2. Please explain to me why anybody NEED to drink alcohol! I am not even joking. Who needs to drink alcohol?

3. Alcohol kills far more than guns. Each year, about 90,000 people died of alcohol v.s. 30,000 died of gun shots.

CDC - Fact Sheets-Alcohol Use And Health - Alcohol

Alcohol is clearly more dangerous than guns!

You are ignorant as to how the Constitution works. The Constitution does not enumerate what the rights of the citizen are. The Constitution is a contract that identifies and restricts the power of the Federal Government.

Any power not specifically listed in the Constitution is NOT given to the Federal Government and is retained by the citizens from which all power originates.

Please educate yourself, because we are rapidly losing our rights and liberties due to ignorant citizen's who are incapable of exercising their duty as citizens because they have no understanding of the Constitution or the concept of law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 11:35 AM

572 posts, read 280,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
This is the internet. I'm playing the Devil's advocate and I assume others including you play their God's Nemesis' advocate as well. I inflate your position for rhetorical purpose. If you can't handle that then maybe we should ban the internet so you won't get offended too much and hurt yourself? Ps why is reaching the Moon better than getting drunk? That's very subjective. And before you make up some dumbass reply, the great thing about this world is that you can have both things at the same time. Some people prefer to get ****faced drunk, others prefer to fly up to nowhere.

It's not that I can't handle it, it's just that you're making a bad comparison and being rude about it as if that somehow makes your point stronger.

Computers have numerous practical applications-- too many to list. I don't know how you can seriously claim that space travel and debauchery are equally valuable to the human race. Computers are in practically every aspect of our modern existence from medicine to engineering to technology to design.

I mean, if everything is really THAT subjective, then I guess crack cocaine is the same thing as antibiotics, watching reality TV is the same thing as going to Harvard and trailer park rednecks should be held in the same regard as NASA scientists.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Depends on which part of the economy you are talking about.

The black market *boomed*. But prohibition also killed off artisanal breweries and distilleries. (AFAIK, very few moonshiners made quality liquor.) We didn't start getting those back until the past 20 years or so.

Alcoholism is terrible. I was a nurse in a past life, and taking care of a person who is finally succeeding in his quest to drink himself to death is a very sobering experience - literally. Yet alcohol is also undeniably a source of real pleasure to many more people than it harms, and some actually has health benefits. It's tricky.

Your link is dead. But the drug library itself is an interesting site, thanks for the tip. Alcohol Information
I couldn't post the link properly for some reason, but it does exist.

Here's another one offering an alternative view:

Did Prohibition Really Work? Alcohol Prohibition as a Public Health Innovation

Regardless, dismissing prohibition as a failure that should never be repeated is incredibly narrow-minded. As with every law and/or movement, the devil is in the details.

Of course, the political climate in the US these days is irrationally hostile to anything that could be viewed as potentially undermining their 'freedoms', so alcohol prohibition would never work nowadays, simply because the moment someone mentioned the word there would be so much screaming and shouting and threats being made that the bill would be dead before anyone even bothered to read it.

I agree about alcoholism-- it's nasty, nasty business and it's almost impossible to come back from once you've crossed a certain point.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:00 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STWR View Post

I'm pretty sure that computers involve a lot more than 'connecting with people superficially'...
Not for many who use it for nothing but things like FaceBook.

Quote:
in fact, computers are actually responsible for a lot of the productivity that you seem to think is so valuable. Seriously--do you think NASA would have reached the moon without computers? What if they had all been drunk instead?
Read some space program history, the original groups of astronauts were hardly the most sober groups on the Florida coast.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:01 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,629 times
Quote:

It's not that I can't handle it, it's just that you're making a bad comparison and being rude about it as if that somehow makes your point stronger.

Computers have numerous practical applications-- too many to list. I don't know how you can seriously claim that space travel and debauchery are equally valuable to the human race. Computers are in practically every aspect of our modern existence from medicine to engineering to technology to design.

I mean, if everything is really THAT subjective, then I guess crack cocaine is the same thing as antibiotics, watching reality TV is the same thing as going to Harvard and trailer park rednecks should be held in the same regard as NASA scientists.
You are arguing that one is more important than the other and imply we should therefore ban the latter and keep the former. I'm just saying that we should keep both because some individuals find one more important, and others find the other one more important. Maybe other find both important. And the rest couldn't care less about either of them. Actually I'm not even suggesting we should keep both, I'm saying it's none of my darn business who indulges in which one. I'm the humanist here. You are the (wannabe) oppressor who wants to tell others how to run their lives.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
You are arguing that one is more important than the other and imply we should therefore ban the latter and keep the former. I'm just saying that we should keep both because some individuals find one more important, and others find the other one more important. Maybe other find both important. And the rest couldn't care less about either of them. Actually I'm not even suggesting we should keep both, I'm saying it's none of my darn business who indulges in which one. I'm the humanist here. You are the (wannabe) oppressor who wants to tell others how to run their lives.
All I said was that prohibition wasn't a total failure.
And yes, I think that computers serve more practical purposes than alcohol... wow what a fascist I am!

It's impossible to have a discussion with people like you because you are so eager to jump into an argument that you are constantly seeing things that aren't there.

I will respond to my own post for you:

'LOL it's not my fault you're Hitler and I am a champion for freedom, justice and the American way'

/thread

Old 01-24-2016, 01:04 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
All I said was that prohibition wasn't a total failure.
Better than 90% of Americans complied with Prohibition so that would be an 'A-' as a grade.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:05 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
Isn't alcohol some kind of truth serum?

How come it wasn't used to interrogate the GTMO prisoners?

Old 01-24-2016, 01:16 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Better than 90% of Americans complied with Prohibition so that would be an 'A-' as a grade.
This is not true. While there are no credible statistics on how much drinking diminished during prohibition, most estimates are in the 30% to 50% range.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:20 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Ok, do people really not see that he's drawing parallels to gun control? All the reasons people are using against prohibition or alcohol control are the same as gun control. I think it went over the head of all but a couple posters.
Yep, exactly. It's a gotcha thread.

However, judges quite often impose sentences where the convicted may not purchase or drink alcohol, say while on probation or under house arrest, as a condition of their staying out of jail. So while there are no outright bans on alcohol (not sure how dry counties work, so could wrong there), there are restrictions for people who can't get drunk without doing something stupid and getting arrested.

Plus, you can't operate a vehicle or go out in public loaded and cause problems without being subject to possible arrest.

Maybe there should be a no access to firearms while intoxicated law. Put a breathalyzer on the gun safe. Best of both worlds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies