Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 10:35 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,300,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Umma's right IMHO. Tho Europe can keep those "Jews" wearing those black hats, to be fair. OTOH: a few million "Reform" Jews DO improve the US because their kind assimilate and "disappear" in 2 or 3 generations.
The Conservative and even Orthodox Jews do integrate very well and contribute to the society in all areas - think Sen. Joe Lieberman, or Robert Aumann, the Orthodox Jew academician who won the Nobel prize in Economics in 2005. The Jewish religion does not shun sciences or technology, and many Orthodox Jews embrace both. There's also no hostility to other faiths, according to the Jewish religion a gentile and a Jew have equal chances to go to heaven (their idea of heaven is different from the Christian version but you get the point).

What people tend to picture when they think about religious Jews is the few insular, ultra-Orthodox denominations like the ones living in some areas of NYC. They are a small subset but a very highly visible one, with their unique garb and customs. They have not been much liked in Israel either, where they are seen as drain on the society - they use the social services but don't contribute much and don't serve in IDF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 10:40 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
The Conservative and even Orthodox Jews do integrate very well and contribute to the society in all areas - think Sen. Joe Lieberman, or Robert Aumann, the Orthodox Jew academician who won the Nobel prize in Economics in 2005. The Jewish religion does not shun sciences or technology, and many Orthodox Jews embrace both.

What people tend to picture when they think about religious Jews is the few insular, ultra-Orthodox denominations like the ones living in some areas of NYC. They are a small subset but a very highly visible one, with their unique garb and customs. They have not been much liked in Israel either, where they are seen as drain on the society - they use the social services but don't contribute much and don't serve in IDF.
The "ultra-Orthodox" kind of "Jew", yes. Word is they're almost like daesh/IS with their batcrap beliefs but NOT near as violent.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:43 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,553,456 times
Quote:

they pay taxes, they work. But they don't serve in the military, which is the majority of the reason they are disliked in Israel.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:44 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,553,456 times
Quote:
The "ultra-Orthodox" kind of "Jew", yes. Word is they're almost like daesh/IS with their batcrap beliefs but NOT near as violent.
They're not violent at all. Maybe some of them in Israel have extremist views and may have defaced a church or mosque (very small %). But I have no idea where you learned to group ISIS together with Ultra Orthodox Jews. you're wrong.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:57 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,300,927 times
Quote:
As I said, the Jewish religion makes no distinction between a Jew and a Gentile in terms of reward / punishment. There's no "original sin" concept like in Catholicism, or any other rules that state that you must be Jewish to get favors with God. The concept of a Righteous person equally applies to both the Jews and the Gentiles. Just the rules are different - a religious Jew has to follow the entire Jewish law to be righteous, while a Gentile only has to follow most of the Ten Commandments and be a good person, basically.

In a way, in Jewish religion the Jews are kind of like the Boy Scouts - they have additional moral responsibilities before God, they were chosen to serve him, but it doesn't make them better than others. (Of course then you have a whole bunch of rules and traditions that accumulated over the years, like not marrying outside the faith).

Some of these Ultra-Orthodox sects are indeed very strange, but they are not violent. They just want to be left alone. The only exception is the Israeli ultra-Nationalist group that sprung from a far-right party Kach. They are like the Israeli version of skinheads. They consider themselves Orthodox but for them the religion is only important as part of their nationalist identity, since they violate most of the moral norms of Judaism. They are outlawed in Israel and I think their leader has just recently been arrested.

The Christian tradition is somewhat less inclusive, since it believes that because of the original sin, the person that did not accept Jesus and get baptized will not be saved. At least according to my Catholic part of the family. However the last three Popes were trying to build bridges and find compromises with other religions. Instead of the old belief that a non-Christian is surely going to Hell, it's not uncommon now to hear that Jesus is all-forgiving and it's ultimately up to Him whether a person is deserving of reward or punishment.

Most deeply religious Muslims in the East see the non-Muslims or even the Muslims of another denomination as "filth" that has no reason to exist.

For the record, I am half Jewish, half Catholic, and non-denominational since we and our parents had developed a strong dislike of any "formal" religion while dealing with both sides of my extended family.

Last edited by Ummagumma; 01-23-2016 at 11:11 AM..

Old 01-23-2016, 11:55 AM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
"First they came for the Jews..."

Quote:
When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.

Friedrich Gustav Emil Martin Niemöller (14 January 18926 March 1984) was a Protestant pastor and social activist.

In less than 10 years, this will be all of Europe and with obuma's, and the rest of the bleeding heart Libs, help, the US will follow soon after

Old 01-23-2016, 10:39 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,825,412 times
Bye, Jews. Welcome refugees. Migrants storm French port of Calais and board British ferry | Reuters

Old 01-23-2016, 11:27 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
So they'll go to Israel. And the anti-Semites, mostly Arabs but also some lefties will cry that they should go back to Europe.
Apparently, because in Europe they are easier to attack.

Talk about irony... Europeans try to assuage their guilt over the horrors of the Holocaust by importing millions from the most virulently anti-Semitic part of the world to harass the remaining European Jewish population.

News flash to guilt-tripped European do-gooders: the people you're bringing over by the millions, if they even believe the Holocaust happened, think it was a great thing!
You're completely right. Germany in particular feels a need to allow foreign immigrants to atone for its Nazi past. The thing in most people in the world don't associate modern Germany with the Nazis. They have no reason to allow all these Muslims in. One thing Germany is doing right to atone for its past sins is supporting Israel diplomatically. Germany is at least not as anti-Israel at the UN as France and other European countries are. I think the anti-Israeli stance France and Britain have at the UN is to appease their domestic Muslim population and to get the votes of Muslim immigrants who have no loyalty to Europe anyway.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And now they are starting on the women.
Next will be the gays.
The liberals are even offended by cartoons showing the Muslim people how to treat women. They're now saying European women should dress differently in order to accomodate Muslim culture. What happened to feminism? I wonder if liberals and Democrats will be more pro-life and ask that gays not display their homosexuality in public in order to respect the Catholic culture of illegal Mexican aliens?

Old 01-23-2016, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Most likely the US wouldn't let you in. White, Western, educated... Not the kind of immigrants we preferred for the past 50 years.
Plus if you look at the anti-Semitic movements in America, most of it comes from the left. If you go to any pro-Palestinian protest or those calling for a boycott of Israel on college campuses, they are either Muslim students or left-wing students, with some overlap with the Black Lives Matter and pro-illegal alien movements. Actual neo-Nazis and Klansmen are a very small number in America. I live in a rural, extremely conservative Christian area and support for Israel is VERY high. In fact many people will not vote for a politician who is not very pro-Israel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies