Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 07:14 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,516,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
For 23 years, David Koch, the billionaire industrialist who made a fortune off fossil fuels, ranching, fertilizers, and other environmental nightmares, has served on the board at the American Museum of Natural History. Koch’s position on the board is controversial, not least because of his position on climate change: The Koch family has spent millions funding climate change denier groups and disinformation campaigns, and scientists around the country have called for Koch to be removed from the museum board. Well, they finally got what they wanted — the American Museum of Natural History announced Koch’s resignation this week.
A good step. Time to start cutting off the many heads of Medusa.

Climate change is a very real thing. Isn't it funny that people who deny it the most often are the one's set to lose financially? Maybe money shouldn't be their god.

Edit: Forgot to post the article ha: http://grist.org/article/koch-brothe...om-scientists/

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 01-23-2016 at 07:44 AM..

Old 01-23-2016, 07:40 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,226,594 times
Global warming or climate change or whatever they are calling it now is a hot topic. Why do we have such extremes when ti comes to people talking about it? There is such a hard line between the deniers and the doomsday prophets.

I think most people run down the middle of the road between both groups and I think we all agree that we can cut back on emissions.

What I do think is odd is how the people that push the global warming agenda the most are the ones that have the largest carbon footprint flying their private jets to meetings around the world while I type this wearing a sweater without a light on and the heater turned down low.

I don't know if Koch getting the boot is a good thing or bad thing. It seems that his businesses are essential to the economy and have provided jobs and products for many. I would think he would have had a unique perspective on the board much like a devils advocate.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:04 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post

Climate change is a very real thing. Isn't it funny that people who deny it the most often are the one's set to lose financially? Maybe money shouldn't be their god.

Since you mention that those that lose money are least likely to be warmers, likewise, those who stand to profit are the most ardent supporters. So whose side is God on?

Would they be the same 'scientists' derived genetically from the mainstream group that thought bad odors caused disease during the dark ages?

Headline use of 'scientists' is an outright attempt to appeal to the less than alert readers. The stuff of elitist manipulation of the masses.

Pray tell, how will money avert the pending disaster from 'human caused global warming '?

What is the drop dead date after which all is lost?

How much money will be required?

What has been accomplished so far and how much money has been spent?

what does success look like?

during the sun and earth's 226 million year journey around the milky way, of which 20.4 orbits have been completed, what periodic changes can we expect?

If the earth tilting and orbiting around thge sun produces periodic seasonal changes in light and temperature, what periodic 'seasonal' changes can we expect travelling thru the milky way and coming under the gravitational, radiation influence form other planets?

The earth is dynamic and constantly changing if it becomes stable as we define stable, it will no doubt have run its course.

The earth is constantly heating and cooling, water levels rising and falling....don't try to drop the 'human caused' label of your cause and claim if you are not a warmer you are a denier.

Oaky you pretend to have a lock on 'scientists', now show me the cooresponding financial and economic model that supports the effort to curtail human caused global warming. There must be intermediate goals to demonstrate money is accomplishing something. Without that, HCGW is a pure money making scheme.

I'm sure these scientists rushed home after attacking Koch to check their mail and find their federal grants arrived. Academics and other grant suckers need to stroke the government teat to get their financial sustenence. No bias there, just blind allegience to the almighty dollar.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:06 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Global warming or climate change or whatever they are calling it now is a hot topic. Why do we have such extremes when ti comes to people talking about it? There is such a hard line between the deniers and the doomsday prophets.

I think most people run down the middle of the road between both groups and I think we all agree that we can cut back on emissions.

What I do think is odd is how the people that push the global warming agenda the most are the ones that have the largest carbon footprint flying their private jets to meetings around the world while I type this wearing a sweater without a light on and the heater turned down low.

I don't know if Koch getting the boot is a good thing or bad thing. It seems that his businesses are essential to the economy and have provided jobs and products for many. I would think he would have had a unique perspective on the board much like a devils advocate.
Because politics/business took it over and are using it as a means to get more revenue.

Do you really think trading carbon credits on Wall Street is going to save the planet ?

Old 01-23-2016, 10:43 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
It seems that his businesses are essential to the economy and have provided jobs and products for many.
Yep, and those aren't hamburger flipper jobs either.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:33 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
Bill Maher keeps having on one of the most intelligible conservative voices. Too bad I keep forgetting his name but he has an accent.

Anyway, he made a good center point on the issue: sure the climate is changing, and sure there is evidence that we have caused it. But at what level of response is economically viable?

Old 01-23-2016, 11:43 AM

17,574 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Quote:

Edit: Forgot to post the article ha: Koch brother resigns from museum board after calls from scientists | Grist
Climate change is cyclic. Where we live in the Midwest was an ocean and before that, glaciers.

Cow farts and belches allegedly can cause climate change. Ya wanna ban hamburger?

While you are at it, ban volcanoes and geysers

Old 01-23-2016, 12:24 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,328,716 times
Now the museum should reimburse him for all his donations over the years.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:43 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,802,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Now the museum should reimburse him for all his donations over the years.

Kicked in the teeth for his generosity.
Idiots were protesting when he bought a hospital a new wing.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:37 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:

Edit: Forgot to post the article ha: Koch brother resigns from museum board after calls from scientists | Grist

yes climate change does exist, and it has existed since the birth of the planet earth. but do not confuse climate change for the liberal buzz word "global warming", which liberals have changed when they found out that global warming was a losing cause in the taxpayers eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies