Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 09:20 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times

Advertisements

Sarah Palin claimed her son's behavior was caused from PTSD.

Quote:
Track Palin had a blood alcohol content of 0.189, police reported.
Quote:
Track allegedly punched his girlfriend in the eye, kicked her in the knee and then held an AR-15 assault rifle near his head.
Quote:
The woman, whom the Daily News is not identifying, said he “cocked the gun” and was holding it near his face.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.2502319

If Track's behavior was caused by PTSD, as Sarah claims, wouldn't it be dangerous for him to own an AR-15?

Should those who suffer from the mental illness of PTSD be able to buy guns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 09:25 AM

50,264 posts, read 47,023,439 times
cocked the gun? LOL

PTSD is not a catch all description.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:30 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,367,374 times
Should someone suffering from PTSD drive a car? Operate heavy machinery? Buy alcohol?

Just another excuse to attack guns, everyone knows you don't care about anyone with PTSD.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:31 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post

If Track's behavior was caused by PTSD, as Sarah claims, wouldn't it be dangerous for him to own an AR-15?

It sounds like the booze was doing the "talking" here. Even "normal" people; when drunk, many of them do some nasty stuff.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:31 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,553,456 times
not this crap again

Old 01-23-2016, 09:34 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
There is not a politician brave enough in this country to try and deny someone with PTSD the right to own a firearm.

Should they be able to own one? Nope. But this is America, and we love our gun violence.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:34 AM

This was a PTSD/gun combo tragedy:

Quote:
Chris Kyle, the author of the best-selling "American Sniper," and Chad Littlefield, 35, Kyle's friend, were gunned down on Saturday while shooting for fun at a Texas gun range, law enforcement officials said.

Eddie Ray Routh, 25, a former Marine who told police last year he was suffering from post traumatic stress, was held on a capital murder warrant, authorities said.
Should vets with PTSD still have access to guns? - CNNPolitics.com

Old 01-23-2016, 09:36 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times
Quote:

Yes. The right of every American to own a gun shall not be infringed. Doesn't matter if said American is deranged or a social miscreant or mentally incapacitated or mentally ill. Nope. Can't restrict gun ownership in any way.

So says the gun lovers.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:42 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:

I know several combat Marines who suffer from PTSD do not want to be anywhere near a gun. Don't get me wrong, they don't feel guilty for what they've done over there, no, not at all. I think gun, especially the sound of it is triggering for them when they are battling with PTSD.

I also know couple combat Marines do not want to pursue treatment simply because they don't want their guns to be removed. (I can't say I agree with them.)

My post is not political as I don't want to push an agenda. This is just my personal opinion based on some research and knowledge I have from working with trauma counselors.

PTSD diagnose is not associated with violence, However, some folks have additional medical and psychiatric conditions that complicate and prolong PTSD problems. Common among these are preexisting personality disorders, alcohol and drug abuse, depression, chronic pain, and bereavement. If they mix alcohol and drug use, then PTSD can become very tricky. Yes, it is safe to assume that PTSD patients will be more violent compare to the general public if they also suffer from alcoholism and drug addiction. Unfortunately, a lot of people self medicate with alcohol.

In my most opinion, PTSD should be dealt with individually. PTSD diagnose should not be a reason or excuse to take away people's right of self defense (let's face it, owning a gun to a lot of people is for the purpose of exact that, self defense.) Plus, PTSD might not be curable, it certainly can be controlled or regulated. People can lead normal and happy life living with PTSD.

I say don't take away their guns simply because they received the diagnose (or any mental illnesses diagnose). The patients should be dealt with individually. Also, use some common sense if you suffer from any types of mental illnesses is a good and smart move to protect yourself and others.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
cocked the gun? LOL

PTSD is not a catch all description.
I agree, PTSD is not a catch all description. In fact it is a neurological disorder that physically changes the brain.

Quote:
PTSD is a neurological disorder it changes the structure of the brain's ventromedial prefrontal cortex, the amygdala, and the hippocampus.
If someone goes through long periods of high stress and anxiety without time in between to recover, the brain kind of "short circuits" in a way. https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...tress-disorder

Sarah Palin has disclosed publicly that Track has been diagnosed with the neurological disorder of PTSD. My question is: should he, especially after committing a domestic assault, own a gun? Seems he could be a danger to others and himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies