Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the government should be able to ban travel to prevent accidents and expedite snow clea
Yes 66 75.86%
No 21 24.14%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 05:08 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,572,629 times

Advertisements

I say yes only because emergency vehicles may need access to streets 1 stra nded car can create a heck of a mess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 05:17 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,461,437 times
I say yes. I saw a news report where people were actually complaining because they got stuck on the interstate because of the storm. Some were stuck for over 12 hours. If these idiots had heeded the warnings, they would never had gotten stuck.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:28 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,696,140 times
What's the big deal? They close the roads all the time in Minnesota and if they have to come save you dumb but you pay a hefty fine!

Old 01-23-2016, 05:38 PM

19,872 posts, read 20,602,712 times
Totally. There is no good reason to be out driving during a storm of THIS magnitude.
And, the only stores that should be open are gas station convenience stores.
Some of these retail stores really leave me scratching my head. What jackass makes the decision to open the store during a major weather event. You risk the safety of your employees, you are pissing money away to even open the store, and by being open you are encouraging people to be on the road.
Michaels Arts & Crafts open during a blizzard. Really? Really!!!

Hell, I'll take it one further.
On normal days switch to odd/even driving days in high traffic areas/major metros. Keep as many of these nutbars off the road as possible.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:32 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,925,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
No, but I also wouldn't send rescue teams for the idiots who choose to travel when they shouldn't.
I agree! The decision rests with the individual.
If rescue is needed, the individual should be sent a bill by the rescuing agency for reimbursement of the costs involved; man hours, equipment, etc.
It is not, or should not be, the job of the government to hold our hands 24/7/365.
If we are too dumb to survive in this world, so be it. Survival of the fittest!
The government should say "We recommend emergency travel only at this time!"

Old 01-23-2016, 06:34 PM

22,142 posts, read 19,377,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I agree! The decision rests with the individual.
If rescue is needed, the individual should be sent a bill by the rescuing agency for reimbursement of the costs involved; man hours, equipment, etc.
It is not, or should not be, the job of the government to hold our hands 24/7/365.
If we are too dumb to survive in this world, so be it. Survival of the fittest!
The government should say "We recommend emergency travel only at this time!"
That will likely happen as well. The ban is more than just to stop stupid people from being rescued, its to keep roads clear so first responders can actually respond and get to people rather than getting trapped on roads with idiots.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:38 PM

24,365 posts, read 22,964,334 times
I saw Chris Christie jumped on this storm and made sure that everybody saw that he was in command. Really, its sad how public officials need to make sure we know just how much we need them. He's a fat load and Cuomo is a closet fascist.
Then again we've got the beginnings of an idiocracy well underway so maybe people are too stupid to know what to do and need idiots in charge to lead things.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:39 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,015,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Governor Cuomo has banned travel in downstate NY due to the blizzard.

http://www.weather.com/storms/winter...ty-long-island

Do you think the government should be able to ban travel to prevent accidents and expedite snow clean-up?
In a perfect world it shouldn't be needed. People would use common sense.
But in the real world there are stupid people so the ban is needed.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:00 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,399,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
In a perfect world it shouldn't be needed. People would use common sense.
But in the real world there are stupid people so the ban is needed.
Unfortunately. Yes.

It gets to me when I see people ocean surfing in the middle of an approaching hurricane too.
Then they complain when mandatory evacs are called.

I'm thinking "alright - go out there surfing and drown then..."
Its the government messing with your free liberties again, yeah?

To be perfectly honest, if rules and government policies were NOT in place, most of us reading this would be dead by now.
Laws are there for a reason, twits. Many laws are actually designed to keep you alive.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:05 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,285,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
To be perfectly honest, if rules and government policies were NOT in place, most of us reading this would be dead by now.

Laws are there for a reason, twits. Many laws are actually designed to keep you alive.
Stockholm syndrome | definition of Stockholm syndrome by Medical dictionary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies